Keg turned into spit roaster

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
beef

Post by beef »

HI guys, im new to this bbq love affiar haha. Just made myself a mini spit roaster out of a old beer keg, it looks awesome but wondering on how to improve the heat in the keg. Im thinking i have no airflow under the coals as they sit directly on the keg.So is this my problem?? i cut the keg laying down on its side and hinged to opposite side, then fitted a 240V spit motor from bunnings. :D
jdonly1

Re: Keg turned into spit roaster

Post by jdonly1 »

Thats all I have and it works a treat,I just leave the lid u a little.I also have a couple of holes drilled in each end :wink:
beef

Post by beef »

looks great mate, thinking maybe i need to learn how to build up the coals better!! :shock: going to have a red hot go this weekend
dales133

Post by dales133 »

You realy want some sort of charcoal grate to put your fuel on to improve airflow underneath and an adjustable valva or damper under the fire grate and it would be problem solved

Beamed up by Scotty
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

As Dale says a fire grate would probably help to get airflow under the charcoal like you get on a Weber kettle.

If you need anyone to help taste test let me know. :mrgreen:

Ken
Ken
beef

Post by beef »

Will make a grill piece or the coals at work tomorrow, and hopefully improve the air flow. Thanks guys
Jars

Post by Jars »

I made myself one of these too, great little things. At first i used a off cut of CI grill from an old gasser as a fire great, but this got to hot and melted!!! So now i am using an old flame tamer thats been cut to fit, and depending which way i put it, can be used to raise/lower the height of the heat to the food. Don't have any photos of it at the moment, but it works a treat!
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave »

Hhmmmmm insipiration.
I have an old 18 gallon keg that came from somewhere :roll:

Lets see what the long weekend brings

Dave
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

You gotta love a Keg BBQ!

Got a couple myself!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Robbo5252

Post by Robbo5252 »

Would love to see a few photos of the others as I am thinking of doing this when I find the time.
Cheers
Robbo
Jars

Post by Jars »

Robbo5252 wrote:Would love to see a few photos of the others as I am thinking of doing this when I find the time.
Cheers
Robbo
Heres the build thread from when i made mine, got plenty of pics in there. http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5555
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS