Cyberq power supply question

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
woodpelletgrill

Re: Cyberq power supply question

Post by woodpelletgrill »

Price of power bank $25
price of 4 pieces of 18650 li-ion battery around $50.
Output voltage can be set.
It can charge your mobile phone, computer too.
When you smoking, the blower is NOT running all the time.
So the 4 pieces of battery can last 20 hours of low & slow smoking.
I use battery controller at my yard.
I do not worry about electrical shock of 220VAC for kids, pets, raining.
If it is in rain, at worest it destroys the power bank.
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

Would this be able to power both the fan and the cyberq over a 12 hour cook? Obviously the fan wouldn't be blowing at full power the whole time, but the unit will have to be on for the whole time no?
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

If I understand the CyberQ then the draw of the electronics is minimal, perhaps on the order of a mobile phone, the peak draw would occur when the fan is in operation, which I understand is intermittent?

This is exactly the sort of unit I was thinking of to provide DC power for your project.

Cheers
Emo

Post by Emo »

A small ten amp dc battery and a power invertor would do the trick.
You'd also need a battery charger
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Smokey Mountain-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Well, if he gets the auto adaptor doesn't even need the invertor really Emo.

It was a solution that I did think of, but a bit wary of exposed batteries - I've seen them get shorted and blow holes in things or weld screwdrivers to the terminals :)

Cheers
Emo

Post by Emo »

Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

If it was me I would sell it and get a battery type that suits your situation. Wangs seems perfect for what you need. Simple answer for a simple problem.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Mickvr

Post by Mickvr »

Going with small battery power like the jump starter is going to get expensive in the long run.
1. They are starter batteries designed for quick bursts of high current draw but get fragged quickly when used in prolonged current draw situations. This is why Deep Cycle batteries were invented.
2. They (or any battery installation) really don't like dropping below 75% of capacity. Depending on how often you use the battery pack, you could be up for the cost a new battery set within a few months to a year because of the current draw and battery capacity. You'd be better to lay out some extra cash in the initial setup to get some Deep cycle batteries second hand on ebay that are more intended for solar off grid usage. When doing long cooks, I'd use a solar panel to help supply charge during the daylight part of the bake.
Initial setup would be more expensive, but replacing abused batteries would cost a lot more within a years usage.
With my GMG Davey crocket and my daniel boon, I run both on 2 x 100 amp hour, second hand deep cycle batteries bought on ebay for 160 bucks total. With an additional 120 watt solar panel bought from http://www.campsalesau.com (current price with charge controller is $189) for supplying juice during daylight hours. I use a 600 amp inverter when running my Daniel Boon. Although I use an extension lead for the initial fire up so I'm not abusing my batteries while the glow sticks are initially igniting the pellets, then I use the recover power loss function to get things happening from the inverter.
Both the GMG's works in a similar way to the CyberQ as it uses fan controller to fire up the pellets, but has the extra draw of the auger motor. With a battery monitor I've comfirmed that during a 17 hour bake my batteries haven't fallen below 90% charge, which is the way I like things, prolongs battery life. Most deepcycle batteries are built for a 10 year life cycle. They are expensive, but with proper care can last well beyond that. Better to spend a bit at the outset than keep replacing batteries because of cell walls becoming fragged.
Last week this setup helped me get through a batch of pork ribs and a lamb shoulder on the Daniel Boon, due to one of the often brown outs in my region (Why I use battery backup with the GMG's) I could continue the bake despite the fact that my house was without electricty, yes I did cram all food into my davy crockett during the brownout, but that enabled me to continue cooking without the current leeching that is inherent with using an inverter. I could have left everything in the Daniel Boon but decided to err on the caution side because the size of the Daniel Boons chamber means more auger action trying to keep the larger space up to temp.

Cheers and Beers
Mick
Mickvr

Post by Mickvr »

Emo

Post by Emo »

Hey Mick, I run 2x100 amp deep cycle batteries in my boat to power the Minn Kota electric motor which gives me enough power to push the boat along during fishing for days on end without recharging. I reckon he'd be fine with about 10ah or so.
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK