Beef short rib fail x 2

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Tasmaniac65

Re: Beef short rib fail x 2

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Commander Cody wrote:Chris.....................

what no crutch..??.. :shock: :) :)

that is fantastic.......i thought i was the only one to shun the texas.

if you ride with Chris on this..... it is a no fail.
however along with the dalmatian. i use a splash of L&P sauce, hey......it's beef.....it can take it.

kevin
urbangriller wrote:Ok, for a start never put yourself in a situation where you are worried they won't be ready in time....cook them the day before, or at least with 3 hours to spare!

I just rub them up and put them in for 7 hours before I have a look, then I might go a bit longer, no foil, no 321 or 432 or anything like that, no sugar, no spice, nothing but salt and pepper!

Go again, give yourself time and keep it dead simple. Don't over-think it!

When I'm doing beef ribs for Management, I cook them at BBQ School, while I'm doing other stuff. When they are done, I wrap in paper, then foil and take them home. Then two or three days later I gently heat them for service.....they are like curry...much better a few days later!

Cheers
Chris
My first attempt at Beef Ribs I kept it simple raised rack in the Q300 over water at 250 for 7hrs which also meant it wasn't difficult at all and I thought they were pretty good my family were not so impressed.
For mine the meat was beautiful moist tender and full flavoured BUT the connective tissue at top and bottom was still tough especially the tissue around the bone. Is this a case of it just needed longer to break this down? or is the meat only good part?
Coop
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:
My first attempt at Beef Ribs I kept it simple raised rack in the Q300 over water at 250 for 7hrs which also meant it wasn't difficult at all and I thought they were pretty good my family were not so impressed.
For mine the meat was beautiful moist tender and full flavoured BUT the connective tissue at top and bottom was still tough especially the tissue around the bone. Is this a case of it just needed longer to break this down? or is the meat only good part?
Coop
I'm thinking two things Coop, probably a bit longer cooking, but more likely the quality of the ribs you had.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Thanks Chris
They were from the Meat Emporium on sale the other week can't remember the brand Fernhill or ??? @$11kg
anyway look forward to trying again soon, cheers
Coop
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:Thanks Chris
They were from the Meat Emporium on sale the other week can't remember the brand Fernhill or ??? @$11kg
anyway look forward to trying again soon, cheers
Coop
So the ribs should have been OK....perhaps a slightly longer cook (or a new family!) :D

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

for beef I go along the lines of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). About 6-7 hours at around 225f before I even think about checking. Then I just go by feel. If they are done, they are done. If they are not they are not. BBQ isn't a science, wait until they are ready. If time is a factor I generally cook them to 8 hours. 8hours of cooking will be 3 hours before service. Then you adjust accordingly if they are ready or not
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado