Rolled or Unrolled Brisket

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Grillnoob

Rolled or Unrolled Brisket

Post by Grillnoob »

Gday All
I have a 3.5kg rolled Avon Valley brisket to cook Sat night for Sunday arvo. Never done a brisket before so which is the best way to cook it?Rolled or unrolled?
I am thinking about unrolling it and rubbing in SPG powder then low and slowing at 110c until I reach an internal temp of 85-90c.
Or should I just leave it rolled and low and slow it until it reaches those internal temps?
Any tips/links appreciated
Muppet

Re: Rolled or Unrolled Brisket

Post by Muppet »

I have done Rolled Briskets a couple of times with good results. The biggest question I had regarding unrolling was mine looked like flat and being thinish I was worried about it drying out. Someone with more experience should be able to answer that one.
I have never taken one to the full 'pulled' stage, Start probing at 180F and when the probe goes in without resistance i wrap and park for a couple of hours. This method is working well for me.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Thanks Muppet.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Unrolled, it'll be thin but should be OK at low and slow. I usually do a rolled brisket in a pan of beef stock to braise it, and I leave it rolled!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Thanks UG
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

the brisket i did on the weekend was rolled. I unrolled, trimmed and it was beautiful
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Well I unrolled it this morning.I was expecting 1 piece of meat and got 3.2 skinny fatty layers and one decent bit. Disappointed to say the least. rolled it back up after covering in spg and pined it with stainless skewers. Gonna give the beef joint that Bucc recommended a go this week. Sick of being let down by supermarket meat cuts and my lack of butchering knowledge. Anyway should have tasty beef for sandwiches this week
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

My first rule of good BBQ is to avoid supermarket meats. Find yourself a good butcher.
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

+1 to that
Golly

Post by Golly »

virtually given up finding a good brisket locally and have been doing pulled chuck with great success and more happy customers
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Grillnoob wrote:+1 to that
+10 to that. Tho my mum cooked a roast leg o lamb last week which was tender and yummo - i asked where did you get this ? Woolies. :oops:
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Gonna try some chuck and shin soon
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

This is worth a look on how to trim a brisket.