Pulled Pork Collar

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
DARTHSMOKER

Pulled Pork Collar

Post by DARTHSMOKER »

So after having many a good pulled pork lately, I thought I had better give it a whirl for myself. I spoke to my local butcher & he suggested to try the pork neck (collar) ... so I got one carved up & gave it a crack.

Used Myron Mixon Hog Injection recipe ... for injection surprisingly enough :lol:
Rub was the GMG Pork rub with extra mustard powder & a little bit of Tarragon added.
I basically injected & rubbed 2 hours before putting on the Weber.

I tried Snake Method with Coconut Turds for the first time ... had 2 rows of 2 high ... about 60 once all lined up. Man it was fun getting them to sit nicely so that they'd burn consistently.
Fired the fuse up with about 13 lit coconut turds. After about a half hour it settled at 110c. I placed 3 big apple chunks along the first half of the snake.

About 3 hours later it was looking pretty darn good & decided it was time to foil, before foiling though I quickly basted with a variant on Myron's BBQ Baste Recipe (basically added onion, more garlic & less salt)

After 2 hours foiled, I pulled it out & the temp was 95c internal, I seriously contemplated pulling it out then & go for town on the pulling ... but bark is needed!! So I basted up a bit more & opened the vents all the way ... was running at about 135c then.

So waiting was a good thing ... my heart was sinking a little when I noticed the internal temp dropped to 83c, but a half hour later it was raging away & it got to 95c ... & the results...

Very glad I decided to wait the extra ... bark was fantastic, smoke ring great & flavours were just how I like it!

But then I went & completely ruined it by buying this sauce to have on the rolls with it ...

Well not completely ruined it ... & I do apologise to our Kiwi brothers who are on here, but I can pee out a better sauce than that .... Ah well lesson learned!
Apologies for the quality of the pics & as usual thanks to all posters, so much info & fun to be had.
I find your lack of smoke disturbing.

GMG Jim Bowie, Blue Weber OTG & Weber Spirit E320
Gumb

Re: Pulled Pork Collar

Post by Gumb »

Looks great to me Darth, well done.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Good work Darth. Maybe try one of the Stubbs, Big Rick's or D.L. Jardines sauces with your next one.
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

Looks like you've got a little condensation under the lens of your camera (phone, maybe?)
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

WarmBeer wrote:Looks like you've got a little condensation under the lens of your camera (phone, maybe?)
Or a greasy thumbprint...I've had that! :D
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
DARTHSMOKER

Post by DARTHSMOKER »

WarmBeer wrote:Looks like you've got a little condensation under the lens of your camera (phone, maybe?)
Probably ... & probably some greasy thumbprint as Urbangriller accurately described :lol:
The missus has been giving me heaps about it as she has a cheaper phone & it takes much better pics .... oh well just gonna have to handle hers after pulling some pork eh? :twisted:
I find your lack of smoke disturbing.

GMG Jim Bowie, Blue Weber OTG & Weber Spirit E320