First beef ribs cook on kettle

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
DARTHSMOKER

First beef ribs cook on kettle

Post by DARTHSMOKER »

Been lurking for a bit, better post something.
So I thought I'd try beef ribs for the first time.
Picked some pre cut from my local mega meats, no full racks, oh well next time... got them home & trimmed a little bit, not much treats for the dogs.
Applied grapeseed oil, the rub was GMG beef rub, I added mustard powder & a little bit thyme. Gladwrapped & in the fridge ...watch some footy.
Up at 6am, raining & humid, just another day in qld.
Get ribs out & ready for some smokey goodness.
Made a spritz of 1 cup apple juice, & a sploosh of apple cider vinegar.

Minion method seemed the go, neatly stacked about 50-60 heatbeads, & then started them with roughly 10 leftover coconut beads from last cook. Stabilised about 115c.

Added a handful of mesquite chips, & placed a large apple chunk about halfway down the pile for smoke later on. Ribs on about 7.00am good spritz to start....family still snoring!
8am, quick spritz. 9am, more spritz & apple chunk is going ...om nom nom
Got red barbeque sauce ready:
Onion finely chopped & caramelised in pan with butter, garlic & little bit of ginger.
Add 4 tbls brown sugar, 1 cup tomato sauce, 1/2 cup Worcestershire, 2 heaped teaspoons of Cajun injector hickory shake, a little paprika, cracked pepper & a sploosh of apple cider vinegar. Simmer slowly.

11am, meat thermometer in, rocking at 75c internal, bbq at 120c. Threw some pork snags on the gas Q.

Basted ribs with red sauce, a few more mesquite chips. And then basted every 20min till 82c. Was pretty much 1pm then.

Missus made a great salad, a few rolls & a selection of mustards for the snags & reheated the red sauce.
Ribs were pretty darn nice, very tender, bone came off easily ...the sauce was a hit though, a fight at the end to mop it up with the bread!
A fair bit of fat however, trim more next time, & maybe push internal temp a bit more to render it more perhaps? All input is good, open to ideas there.
Got all my info off this forum ... This place is myriad of information! Thanks to all who contribute!
Apologies if the pics are average.
Oh look, the footy is on :D

Thanks Narmnaleg for the editing advice! :D
Last edited by DARTHSMOKER on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I find your lack of smoke disturbing.

GMG Jim Bowie, Blue Weber OTG & Weber Spirit E320
Narmnaleg

Re: First beef ribs cook on kettle

Post by Narmnaleg »

Great looking ribs Darth, they must have tasted fantastic!

Did you know you could actually include the pics so they show in the post instead of showing just the link?

In Flickr you can click the share arrow at the bottom right, pick the BBcode option, select the size you want and copy the url it gives you in the box.
Paste the URL, and delete the first part up to the img tag and everything after the other /img tag

Here's an example of your pic, if you quote-reply my post you can see what it's supposed to look like:
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Oh yeah they look good!!!!
Sounds like bbq meal fit for a king....I need to do some beef ribs again soon
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Yumm Darth, just Yumm!

Cheers, Wayne
DARTHSMOKER

Post by DARTHSMOKER »

Cheers Narmnaleg, thanks for the info :)
I find your lack of smoke disturbing.

GMG Jim Bowie, Blue Weber OTG & Weber Spirit E320
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Just got hungry again .......... :D
Awesome work