What temp for Beer Can Chicken?

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Ilikeitburnt

Post by Ilikeitburnt »

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to BBQ'ing and thought I'd try out a Beer Can chicken for dinner tonight, I've searched the forum but can't seem to find an answer.

Can someone please recommend a temp (degrees celcius) to cook a 2kg beer can chook in my Masport gas BBQ?

Thanks in advance for all help.
titch

Re: What temp for Beer Can Chicken?

Post by titch »

Cheers
Titch
Ilikeitburnt

Post by Ilikeitburnt »

Thanks for the receipe and reply Titch, now I just need to work out what's a low heat? lol
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Try 200 C then adjust up or down next time to suit.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

That website suggests a target temperature of 80C. I think that is too high. I have been cooking mine to a temp of 60C for the breast and 65C for the legs for quite a while now. This temperature will result in the marrow still being red, but it is safe to eat. If you are uncomfortable with this, I would suggest 65C for the breast and 70C for the legs.

As for cooking temperatures, "low" heat is anything between 100-130C. At this temperature, it will take 60-90 minutes for your chicken to get to be cooked. The advantage is that low heat is more controllable and you are less likely to overshoot your target temperature. The disadvantage is that low heat doesn't crisp the skin up nicely. For this reason, I suggest two stage cooking - a prolonged cook to get your chicken up to cooking temperature, then remove your chicken and rest in foil for about 20 minutes. Whilst your chicken is resting, build up an inferno in your BBQ (suggest 250-300C) then return your chicken for 5-10 minutes - enough to crisp up the skin but not overcook your chicken. Your chicken is ready for serving after another 5 minutes rest.

You can certainly cook at 200C as suggested. For me, high temperature cooking is like trying to stop your car in a parking-space sized spot at high speed. If you drive at 20km/h, you are more likely to be able to stop precisely. If you are roaring down the carpark at 80km/h, you will likely overshoot the parking space and hit the wall.
Image Image Image
Ilikeitburnt

Post by Ilikeitburnt »

Thanks for the input one and all

Cooked the chook at about 300 degrees C for the first 40 minutes, got worried I'd burn it dropped it back to 200 and pulled it out at the 2 hour 15 minute mark.

My wife said she liked her chicken, my two year old threw his all over the floor although I don't think that was a direct reflection on the cook :lol: :-)
titch

Post by titch »

Ilikeitburnt wrote:Thanks for the input one and all

Cooked the chook at about 300 degrees C for the first 40 minutes, got worried I'd burn it dropped it back to 200 and pulled it out at the 2 hour 15 minute mark.

My wife said she liked her chicken, my two year old threw his all over the floor although I don't think that was a direct reflection on the cook :lol: :-)

ROFLMAO
Cheers
Titch
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

Holy cow, 2 hours at >200C would incinerate the chicken! If you were to take it out at 40 minutes at 300C, it would have been cooked already.
Image Image Image
titch

Post by titch »

Amfibius wrote:Holy cow, 2 hours at >200C would incinerate the chicken! If you were to take it out at 40 minutes at 300C, it would have been cooked already.
I figured F was confused with C
Cheers
Titch
Chargrilled

Post by Chargrilled »

He likes it burnt :)
dales133

Post by dales133 »

That's hilarious
dales133

Post by dales133 »

Since I built my UDS I generally cook mine pretty hot and fast, I much prefer the finished result, on the weber I usually don't cook quite as hot.
For research purposes I have been doing most of my temps in F not C, on the UDS I shoot for 375 400 for chickens, on the weber I'm more like 325 350.
I am talking spatch cocked birds too, 2.5 to 3.5 kg birds, hope that helps
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Does F taste any different to C? :roll:
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
dales133

Post by dales133 »

Lol bill, just got a lot of info from the US as far as my UDS goes and got sick of converting so I seem to end up just setting the maverick to F and roll with it
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Why did you ask?
You went and did it your own way anyway :roll:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au