Roast chook

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Amfibius

Re: Roast chook

Post by Amfibius »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:Thanks mate.
How important is the resting process even with Poultry and will it keep cooking during this process?
Resting is very important, and yes it will continue to cook.
Image Image Image
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

resting with the breast down will let the juices (by gravity) to settle naturally into those normally dryer areas for an all round tastier and moister chook
and yes in does continue to cook a bit whilst this is happening .. all the better :wink:

Chalky
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

thanks I will pull it off a bit earlier next time and rest for 20 min sounds goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood :D
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Brined a couple of Chicken Breasts today a simple mix for 5 hrs whilst on Surf Patrol
1 Tbsp of Salt
1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
Sprinkle of Chinese 5 Spice
1 litre Water
(I wanted to do one Brined and the other not and my wife assured me that the control would be a waste of time as Breast straight on BBQ would be ordinary and dry I will try at some stage as I would like to know what a base level with no help is like)
Cooking in Q200
1st Breast went on trivet over foil on high for 6 min each side then almost 2 min each side on grill
2nd Breast went straight onto Grill on high for 5 1/2 min each side until 75 degrees reached in core
Both rested 5-10 min on small warm plate wrapped in foil.
The result surprisingly Breast No2 was the winner direct on grill beautifully moist all the way through (not just in the middle) with great flavour as well.

I am eating better due to the contribution of members of this forum and now even "she who must be obeyed" is a believer.
Thankyou one and all :D :D
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Tasmaniac
One of my demonstrations own the Q was pieces of chicken breast.
I used to do them for about 3 minutes a side and when I lifted the lid to remove them I showed the people how tp test the chicken using the rule of thumb test ( comparing the sponginess of the muscle at the base of the thumb and the sponginess of the breast. I would cut through the breast and show that it was cooked and then cut a small piece off and squeeze the moisture out of it. Worked ever time.
Lid down cooking is the main contributor to these results.

Cheers

Capt'n