Quail challenge

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
bodgy

Quail challenge

Post by bodgy »

Last weeks salt and vinegar chicken was dinner with the brother and his missus,

he dropped these in this arvo with a "see what you can do with these" :twisted: .

I've never even tried the little buggers let alone cooked em, did a quick search,

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... uail#p5419

any advances on that topic, I reckon salt and vinegar would be great but looking for something a bit different, must involve charcoal of course!
Last edited by bodgy on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
shayneh2006

Re: Quail challenge

Post by shayneh2006 »

Bodgy,,, ya beat me to it :D

I have had these suckers in the freezer for a few weeks now but was not sure what to do with them

As you can see, they are rock hard but it looks like yours are ready to go :D

If you dont mind,,i will sit on the side and see how you do yours and if they turn out good, i will follow suit 8)

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
titch

Post by titch »

Think me an Idiot maybe (join all the others)
I cut Quail in thru the Breast, break the backbone and cook flat over charcoal.
I use olive oil and garlic and salt rubbed in.
Easy Peasy to me and crunchy.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

titch wrote:Think me an Idiot maybe (join all the others)
I cut Quail in thru the Breast, break the backbone and cook flat over charcoal.
I use olive oil and garlic and salt rubbed in.
Easy Peasy to me and crunchy.
Titch
A very simple and effective method . I don't do them on a Cast Iron grill as I don't want heavy searing. I like to use Sichuan Pepper and brush with honey on the breast side and sprinkle with a bit more pepper after that - about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes before taking them off. - I like the sweet bitey taste. I also use the garlic and salt first.

Spatchcocked quail is the best way to go for great results

Cheers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I used to make "Champagne Quail"
From memory I made a marinade from a bottle of champagne, Olive oil, lemon juice and marinate for 48 hrs.
The sweetness goes well with the mild game taste.
I always served them skewered and grilled baby tomatoes.
Might have to do that again :D Its been years
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Olive Brined Quail

INGREDIENTS
6 quail

1 litre of the brine from a good bucket of olives (ask your deli to keep the brine from their loose olives. They usually throw it out).

DIRECTIONS
Remove the backbones from the quail and flatten.

Taste the brine, if it is the same “saltiness” as the sea; brine the quail for 8 hours, if it tastes saltier brine for four hours.

Grill over charcoal!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

C'mon Bodgy,,i am still waiting to see this cook up :D :D as i need ideas for my little birds 8)

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Was ready to go with variation on Blue Foot Chicken with Vin Jaune and Morel Mushrooms,
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.co ... ecipe.html
probably would have needed to substitute Mudgee white port for the plonk and porchini for the morels, alas "they" don't like mushrooms, I'll save that one. Back to square one, rest assured Shayne, it will happen tomorrow, maybe, I hope,if I'm lucky. Need to buy orange and rocket me thinks.
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Never had quail before :( can't wait to see it cooked
bodgy wrote:Was ready to go with variation on Blue Foot Chicken with Vin Jaune and Morel Mushrooms,
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.co ... ecipe.html
probably would have needed to substitute Mudgee white port for the plonk and porchini for the morels, alas "they" don't like mushrooms, I'll save that one. Back to square one, rest assured Shayne, it will happen tomorrow, maybe, I hope,if I'm lucky. Need to buy orange and rocket me thinks.
I buy chook feet yum cha style, but that firepit-and -grilling-guru feller is lucky, :shock: any one know where you can get chook with feet still attached?
I've seen lamb on a string loopy loops style, here's chook on a string http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.co ... oking.html

Chalky
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Operation Quail underway, as expected fiddly little buggers to do the partial debone

updates to come

Bit scared, not sure how the sugar will go on the grill, can't decide, might start hot indirect?
Last edited by bodgy on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

C'mon Bodgy,,,,show us what you got,,,i mean the results of the Qauil Challenge :D

Shayne

bodgy

Post by bodgy »

started indirect about 200c on the top rack,flipped a couple of times, more roasting than grilling
removed the heat shield for a little searing, maybe 225c
this one copped it a bit
plated with creamy mashed spuds and brothers garden fresh cabbage and cauli

Not sure if its how I cooked them but the little buggers do hold together pretty well, considering they were well done (74c in the breast) , not chewy type tough but the meat stuck to the bones a bit and the joints don't fall apart like a well cooked chook. Very nice taste, not gamey at all.

My take on Maggie beer quail
For 6 quail. 1 whole quail is enough for the average person

Marinade
1/3 cup seeded mustard
1/3 cup honey
1- 1/2  table spoons olive oil
1- 1/2  table spoons chopped rosemary ( I used dried)
1- 1/2  table spoons lemon juice
Method
Spatchcock the quail by taking the spine out (cutting either side of the backbone,I removed the ribs and breastbone as well and skewered), and then flatten the bird on the board , tucking the wings behind. You can buy quail which have had all the bones taken out, or just use Quail breasts – these will both take a little less time to cook.

The Marinade
Mix mustard, honey, oil and rosemary and marinade the quail for at least an hour and then add the lemon juice just before you cook and season with a little salt. (the lemon juice will cook the quail, and you don’t want this
Last edited by bodgy on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Yeh, they look great Bodgy.
bodgy wrote:Not sure if its how I cooked them but the little buggers do hold together pretty well,
I often buy a few already cooked in the Asian BBQ shops when i am doing my shopping at Cabramatta. They are glazed up similar to the Cha-Sui (red pork). I have to agree with what you have said. The meat is firm and sticks to the bone.

That has given me an idea now. Try the Cha-Sui on em :lol: or steal your recipe and give that a go :oops: :oops:

Good work :D

Shayne

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ive been bashing out my brains trying to find my old champaygne qual recipie because you are right, You cant soak them in lemon.
The word roman comes to mind, and they were baked in the marinade and not grilled.
I remember them being fall off the bone but a little rich (greasy meat)
I also had the same "stick to the bone" when straight out grilling the tasty beggers.
I see them running around my yard every now and then :twisted:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au