Pork loin on the Kettle

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
camdira

Pork loin on the Kettle

Post by camdira »

I am going to roast a 2.5kg pork loin on the Weber kettle on Saturday, and I would love some advice.

I have just bought myself a Maverick ET732 :D

What temperature should I have the grill for great crackling, and how long will it take?

I want to bring the internal temperature to 145f (62.8c)

I am thinking about 35 heatbeads on both sides, blast it at 240c for 20 minutes then bring down the temperature to 200c for the rest of the cook.
Gumb

Pork loin on the Kettle

Post by Gumb »

Back I'm the days before this forum, I used to fill both baskets (about 35 beads each side) for pork, and let it rip with the vents open. Never failed to get good crackle. Now, after getting all the advice in here, I'm anal about low , slow, moist, smoke, Texas crutch and I have not done good crackle since ! :)

So fill them up and let it go! The kettle will decrease temp over time naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tasmaniac65

Re: Pork loin on the Kettle

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

I am a fan of blast to start to seal and crackle and then down to about 130-40 till done, usually takes about 1/2 hr at blast temp and then about 1 1/2 hr lower to reach 63 internal with a 20 min rest meat is outstanding, that is on a Q300, cheers
Tas
camdira

Post by camdira »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:I am a fan of blast to start to seal and crackle and then down to about 130-40 till done, usually takes about 1/2 hr at blast temp and then about 1 1/2 hr lower to reach 63 internal with a 20 min rest meat is outstanding, that is on a Q300, cheers
Tas
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of going that low. How big was the cut of pork?
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

I stuffed up a small (950G) pork loin last Saturday... I only got the temp to 275F (didn't realise it was only 135C) and once I was 5C from cooked temp I looked at it and the skin was rubbery so I got it to 350F (175C) but it wasn't good enough. I had to remove the skin to crackle it in the oven. So make sure you have a high temp :oops:
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Camdira the cuts I do this with are usually only 1 - 1.5kg but it always results in great meat :D the crackle is less sure but if it is crackling well by end of high temp then it stays OK just cannot wrap up the crackle to rest need to remove it first, cheers
Tas