ideas for stickies in recipes

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Mr Brown brought up a very good suggestion re a basic how to sticky for each type of meat and also some newbies are finding it difficult to search.(I did all my how to's years ago)
There was suggestion for certain members cooks to be placed as a sticky however when I thought about it, I dont do things quite the same nor think some of them are really 101
I have an idea where say I start a topic here "Basic 101 for beef short ribs"
I type out what I think beef short rib 101 is and then open it up for other confident cooks to argue about.
My original 101 will be changed and added to until we have a truley simplistic direction that new folk to the bbq art can follow.
A mod can copy the final draft and stick it to the top of beef.

After that, Someone else can have a go and take up something they are good at and let others help compile it into a basic 101.

That way the 101 has truley come from the forum , alternatives are represented and a newbie has the best chance of success .

What do you rekon?

Mick
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Joe33

Re: ideas for stickies in recipes

Post by Joe33 »

Smokey Mick wrote:Mr Brown brought up a very good suggestion re a basic how to sticky for each type of meat and also some newbies are finding it difficult to search.(I did all my how to's years ago)
There was suggestion for certain members cooks to be placed as a sticky however when I thought about it, I dont do things quite the same nor think some of them are really 101
I type out what I think beef short rib 101 is and then open it up for other confident cooks to argue about.
My original 101 will be changed and added to until we have a truley simplistic direction that new folk to the bbq art can follow.

After that, Someone else can have a go and take up something they are good at and let others help compile it into a basic 101.

That way the 101 has truley come from the forum , alternatives are represented and a newbie has the best chance of success .

What do you rekon?

Mick
Don't understand this post sorry.

What's a "sticky" ? It's a desert wine to me ....
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey Mick wrote:Mr Brown brought up a very good suggestion re a basic how to sticky for each type of meat and also some newbies are finding it difficult to search.(I did all my how to's years ago)

What do you rekon?

Mick
Cool Mick. The search def does not work on a term like Ribs....too common! And a technique is just that, not related to any BBQ or Fuel. Probably should include info on the basic gear you'll need to have on hand.

....anyhow, lets give it a go!

Sorry, didn't see this till after i put up the Cape Grim Beef Ribs.... :oops:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yes Chris
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Touché.

Perhaps you could do Smoked Salmon?

Chris
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

This is actually a top idea and we need to persue it.

Perhaps a good starting point would be a list of what we think should be in a list of the "Classics".

The list could include techniques as well.

Then we could have one sticky, with links to the classics....and I agree with Mick, it's not necessarily one persons recipe/technique, the "Classics" should be a colaborative effort.

Chris
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Now your thinking, My idea is to have a colaberative but basic how to on each meat or "Classic"
The up shot for the forum tragics is we get to technicly argue and have some fun whilst in the end be mindful that we are producing a tool for people that are starting out and are wanting a fool proof system.

Maybe we could agree on a classic and have below comments from say a pellet user and a kettle user on how the basic will change for same cookers?

Im only here to teach and learn so If I can get a commitment from the BBQ masters that would be great.
Also calling for out for the wordsmiths out there, Take a look , re arainge and put up a proposal :wink:

Ill let you all discuss :D Wiky BBQ 8)
Joe33

Post by Joe33 »

Doubt this would be much use to me or any other newbies
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Thanks for bringing this up Mick because I'm thinking what is proposed is a pretty good idea and you're wrong Joe33, it is very much for new bbqers as well to read and learn from tried and true techniques, recipes and such. Many here that are doing great stuff with even curing their own meats, dry aging and stuff were newbies not so long ago.

I'm happy to make what you propose to be Stickys, I'm not sure if multiple subjects would be date or alphabetically listed in line but they should all be bunched up together.

Would you think that what you're proposing be in this section or perhaps re-ignite the techniques section?

If you make up a draft of what you have in Mind there Mick, it will give me an idea on how you wish to illustrate it and we'll go from there...great Idea and I'm happy to co-operate :D

Cheers

Davo
Admin/ Mod
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
chriso

Post by chriso »

Maybe instead of a bunch of stickies you could do just one that has links to the "101" threads.
I think it's a great idea. The brined chicken thread is a good example, where there is lots of discussion on the topic and different experiences/variations.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
talisker63

Post by talisker63 »

This is an awesome idea, thanks Mick.
I am certainly no BBQ expert but can lend a hand with wordsmithing anyone who wants help.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

In the Food science/techniques/ tips section I've just made a few of the original posts there to stickys.....easy to find. :)

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Windsurf

Post by Windsurf »

Fantastic idea guys.

I needed to know BBQ temp and cook temp for roast chicken last week and its really not something the search function handles. A 'go to' for all the basics would be a great help.
buddah

Post by buddah »

Joe33 wrote:

"Asian bar girl "
Joe33

Post by Joe33 »

buddah wrote:
Joe33 wrote:

"Asian bar girl "
Very good. I still have no idea what a sticky is ....