Chicken spare ribs in Brisbane?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
bennoc

Chicken spare ribs in Brisbane?

Post by bennoc »

Anyone know where to grab plain chicken spare ribs in Brisbane? I unintentionally replicated Nandos chicken exactly today using wings so now I'm keen to get some ribs and do the same thing so I don't have to pay $9 for 8 of them at my local anymore. I tried 6 butchers between Toowong and Kenmore but none had any, so I'm happy to travel anywhere if someone knows where to get them.

Mod Edit [Moved from Poultry]
Bill44

Re: Chicken spare ribs in Brisbane?

Post by Bill44 »

Chicken spare ribs? Surely you jest, or have I missed something along the way? :lol:
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
smokeman

Post by smokeman »

Im wondering the same thing.....What are they? :shock:
ImageImage
Strider

Post by Strider »

Very funny :lol:
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

I get mine from the Poultry section of the markets (Footscray which is nowhere near Brisvegas) The Asians there sell them for about 5.99 a kg. do you have markets like that up there near you.

Captain
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

There are asian markets up here but I've never seen the spare ribs at any of them. Only place I've seen them was a butcher earlier this year but when I went back yesterday to get some it had closed down.
beermee

Post by beermee »

I just order whatever I want from a butcher.... I find if I ask "do you have X", they say NO. But most of them will get or 'cut' whatever you want if they are a half decent butcher.

eg. Pattons Big Gun at Underwood will make me Chicken Maryland fillets for when I am doing a souvlaki on the spit. You just need to give them a couple days notice and when they get their whole chickens delivered twice weekly, their butchers will then bone/cut whatever you want in your order.....
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

bennoc

Post by bennoc »

I'll be over Springwood way on Tuesday picking up some stuff from IKEA so I'll drop into Pattons and see if they can organise some ribs for me.
beermee

Post by beermee »

bennoc wrote:I'll be over Springwood way on Tuesday picking up some stuff from IKEA so I'll drop into Pattons and see if they can organise some ribs for me.

Just go over to the left hand side of the display counter - thats where they take the orders - and explain to them what you're after.....
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

keithgh

Post by keithgh »

They are usually boneless skinless chicken thighs, wings or even the little drum-lets.

Just a fancy posh name nothing else.

Just Google Chicken Spare Ribs and there are plenty of recipes.

I can get all that at my local Butcher (that is if I want if FRESH)

Keith :D :D
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

keithgh wrote:They are usually boneless skinless chicken thighs, wings or even the little drum-lets.

Just a fancy posh name nothing else.

Just Google Chicken Spare Ribs and there are plenty of recipes.

I can get all that at my local Butcher (that is if I want if FRESH)

Keith :D :D
In other words just another American bastardisation of our Aussie culture, like the Anzac COOKIES I saw in Woolworths on friday.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
Chargrilled

Post by Chargrilled »

Here's some chilli chicken ribs I cooked up
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

Pattons at Springwood would only order them in for bulk quantities, and seeing as I only want 2kg max they won't do it.

I'll try Jack Purcells at Virginia this week they are pretty big they might be able to do it.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

At Fortitude Vally there is a hole in the wall Asian butcher just around the corner from Cloud land.
To the west of cloudland if memory serves me correct.
Be worth poking your head in there if not for what other goodies you might find.
Here it is, I walked past a few time a couple of weeks ago doing fire isnpections at cloudland.I didnt stop in as I didnt have my work truck with the fridge in it. I did want to though
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
beermee

Post by beermee »

bennoc wrote:Pattons at Springwood would only order them in for bulk quantities, and seeing as I only want 2kg max they won't do it.

I'll try Jack Purcells at Virginia this week they are pretty big they might be able to do it.

Sorry to waste your time sending you there.... I was under the impression that they break down / de-bone all their own chickens from whole chickens - maybe their whole chickens already have the 'rib' part removed....??