Taste and try before you buy?

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day all,
I wasn't sure where to put this, so apologies in advance to the mods if it's in the wrong place.
I was contemplating adding a Hark Tri-fire to my collection. After bombarding Chris (Urbangriller) with endless questions, which he was very gracious and patient in answering (a huge thanks Chris), I’m wavering. As much as I’d like to, due to my long/strange working hours, I don’t have the time to put in to ‘learn the ways’ of the offset. I haven’t even managed to set up a ‘snake’ in my Weber yet :oops: .
I've read some very good things about pellet grills, particularly their ability to ‘set and forget’ as well as the taste/quality of food from them, which has piqued my interest.
I was advised in one of my initial posts to try some food from a bbq implement that you’re interested in, to get a feel for what it can do and what the food tastes like from it, so here comes a strange request.
Could someone advise me where I could ‘sample’ some fare from a pellet grill prior to laying down my hard earned on one? I’m happy to travel a reasonable distance (say 150km) if anyone has any suggestions for me? Also, does anyone know if bbq stores would be likely to do this sort of thing?
Many thanks in advance,
Steve.
Grill Pro Australia

Re: Taste and try before you buy?

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Hi Steve,
Where exactly are you? State?

I'm sure we can sort something out for you.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Sorry, I should have specified my location. I'm at Batemans Bay, on the south coast of NSW.
If you're putting up the airfare for my trip down to Adelaide Dave, my closest airport would be Canberra :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Steve.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Batemans Bay.

So Yes, I can put you in touch with the Traeger importer, they are in Goulburn! Too Easy....PM Me!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Also, you have Ross (Mr Brown) who lives in Canberra and had bought my original Traeger 075 Texas grill ......I won't put him on the spot here but he might just chime in....might cost ya a couple of bottles of good red :wink:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Lovey wrote:I was advised in one of my initial posts to try some food from a bbq implement that you’re interested in, to get a feel for what it can do and what the food tastes like from it...

Very Wise decision...It is not for everyone, specially if you like a heavier smoke flavor! Wish I could help!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Not as much as I wish, I'd love a trip to the US :D .
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Sorry to reply to my own question, and with a probably silly question to boot, so here goes.
Is there a way to replicate the taste of food that is prepared on a wood pellet grill utilising any of the following:
- Weber kettle,
- hooded gasser, or
- rotisserie/spit?
Thanks in advance and sorry if that was a completely stupid question :oops:
dales133

Post by dales133 »

A webers equally as good as a pellet smoker if you ad the rigt amount off wood just a bit higher maintenance
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Lovey wrote:Sorry to reply to my own question, and with a probably silly question to boot, so here goes.
Is there a way to replicate the taste of food that is prepared on a wood pellet grill utilising any of the following:
- Weber kettle,
- hooded gasser, or
- rotisserie/spit?
Thanks in advance and sorry if that was a completely stupid question :oops:
Kettle is the go
Snake method for low and slow, depends on the amount of wood to produce the smokey flavour.
you can do higher heat cooks by regulationg the airflow and how much fuel you use. you can go lower than a pellet grill and still smoke. b ut you need to add more fuel every hour or two.
The kettle does take a bit more work but can produce great food. The advantage of the kettl;e is you can regulate the amount of smoke.

My favourite BBQ is my Traeger for sure but I use the others also. each has advantages and disadvantages. For a single selection of a BBQ I would take the Kettle.

Cheers

Captain.