Pellet Storage - shelf life

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
ColMack

Pellet Storage - shelf life

Post by ColMack »

Just curious as to the shelf life of Pellets

How long to they last 'on the shelf' - and what are the storage concerns for unopened bags. If I get a bulk order what would be the concerns?

Clearly moisture is an issue - do they attract rodents / pests? I can keep them in a outside garage that is out of the weather - and off the ground - but I can't say there won't be mice around.

Cheers,
Col.
Large Green Grill Dome, Traeger Pro 22, Weber OTG, Hibachi (CI and Ceramic) and Traeger Junior
urbangriller

Re: Pellet Storage - shelf life

Post by urbangriller »

Hmmm....Bloody mice will eat anything!

Moisture is a concern of course.

I keep mine in four 200 litre plastic barrels that Olives are imported in they have a screw on lid and cost me $15 each.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Rubbermaid storage unit. 6 months ago I pulled some Bear Mountain pellets out that had been sitting in Pasadena, California for 4 years. RH% there runs 50-75% during the year. I also pulled some 3 year old Green Mountain pellets out, but they had been in Las Vegas...RH% about 4-11%/year. I know they were 3 years old, cuz they were the old 11kg bags and not the newer 13kg bags...

With a little protection and care, pellets last a long time. If you have the ability to start going in with others on bulk buys, best way to get pellet cost down!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Jester

Post by Jester »

Mice and rodents aren't interested in them.

I'm in Denmark at the moment where wood pellets are used for heating & in the local power plant. They're stored unbagged on the ground in a building that looks like a hanger - open on one side during the day. They're on the docks, right next door to grain silos that do have a mice problem and the wood pellets don't get touched.
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

around 18 months ago, I put 3 x 9kg bags of BBQr's Delight pellets in a storage container under my eaves of my house with little protection. The container lid just sits on top & overhangs about 20mm down the sides, so not airtight.

I have just had a look & they look perfect :D

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

my 1st purchase of TRAEGER pellets.....................

like about 40bags worth, lasted around 4 years......were stored in my shed and they were still good.

don't know how long Craig had them before his fire sale.

so i would vote................don't stress it, they will be fine.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....