Pellet BBQ Grilling

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
urbangriller

Re: Pellet BBQ Grilling

Post by urbangriller »

Good to see inside the CS Jester....never seen one up close! I have to say it kinda looks like it's trying to be a gasser!...(wash my mouth out!).

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Jester, that is spot on...and great photo, shows what I was talking about too. I understand a little better what you are saying.

The 24 inch Cookshack Charbroiler. With Hood...That will be my next and final Pellet unit, and will probably do 85% of all of my "BBQing" needs!
Jester wrote:I think the photo explains it better than my explanation. My point was the CS diffuser just deflects more of the flame so it isn't as high over the grate and you get a bigger grilling area.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

BeachedBro

Pellet BBQ Grilling

Post by BeachedBro »

urbangriller wrote:Thanks Mick.

I shot the pics for the last one during BBQ School on Saturday (the deadline for StoryQue magazine December edition was this weekend), the Guys and Gals at BBQ School loved it! The technique for poaching the steak to temp then reverse searing is a Restaurant technique, easily achievable by the backyard chef......check out Michael Mina from Bourbon Steak explaining his signature butter-poached steaks:

http://vimeo.com/36932376

Cheers
Chris
Sorry guys and girls (are there any on here?), but there's something about a hot woman that loves a good steak that gets me all riled up!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I bumped into this idea for setting a pellet BBQ up for grilling:

and here is a bloke cooking on it;

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Some of you will remember there was a little controversy when I first published this thread, some people got upset because I named the BBQ I was using (once), apparently they saw that as “blatant” advertising, others got upset because I blew away the misconception that massive heat was needed to grill “Direct Fire” on a pellet BBQ…..Subsequently what you see here is an edited version. At the time I said I was writing it up as an article for StoryQue magazine.

Well, the December edition of StoryQue magazine is out and my Pellet Grilled Steak is the Cover Photo! :D
StoryQue is only a couple of dollars a month downloaded to your Tablet, Phone or PC, it's a great read, full of entertaining BBQ stories, Recipes and Ideas; go here if you want to check it out:

http://www.storyque.com

If you want to read the unedited Pellet Grilling article in full, PM me with your Email address and I’ll send you the PDF. But be warned, it does mention the “G” brand, the “T” brand, the “Y” brand and an “M” brand we can’t even get in Australia (yet), it also mentions two accessory brands; “GG” and “MG”.....And it completely debunks the myth that you need massive heat to grill in a pellet BBQ.

Cheers
Chris
Chargrilled

Post by Chargrilled »

Nice work Chris! :)
Still yet to try direct grilling in my T :wink:
The next bulk rubbish I'll try and snap up a grill and some flame tamers.

Is it still lid down? Cause lid up would just continually dump pellets wouldn't it?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Chargrilled wrote:Nice work Chris! :)
Still yet to try direct grilling in my T :wink:
The next bulk rubbish I'll try and snap up a grill and some flame tamers.

Is it still lid down? Cause lid up would just continually dump pellets wouldn't it?
Yep.... Lid down! You'll be suprised how low a temp you need!

Chris
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Please Email the PDF to me Chris.
my GMG grills no problem. it just gets so bloody red hot from below.
Its no different to a gas bbq with flame tamers only flare ups are short little spurts as they should be.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

No Problem Mick....on it's way.

Cheers
Chris
titch

Post by titch »

urbangriller wrote:No Problem Mick....on it's way.

Cheers
Chris
me too please :wink:
Cheers
Titch
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

titch wrote:
urbangriller wrote:No Problem Mick....on it's way.

Cheers
Chris
me too please :wink:
OK

Chris
Jester

Post by Jester »

While all pellet cookers create a fire hot enough to cook a steak, most pellet grills that support direct grilling from the factory have one thing in common. They drop the pellets into the firebox from above (cookshack, yoder, memphis even stoven kettle BBQ).

The ones that have a tube that delivers both air and pellets mostly don't support direct grilling in their manuals. Even the blazin grills searing video above has a deflector over the firepot. The only one I could find that does is the Mak (shown below), which has a deflector with raised holes to prevent fat dripping down.

That makes me think fat dripping into the that design of firepot could be an issue. When it cools, could fat make its way into the auger tube and mix with pellets? Is it more susceptible to a grease fire? There's got to be a reason these manufacturers don't recommend direct grilling in their manuals.

Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Jester

Post by Jester »

I thought I'd reread this post with all the discussion in the buyers guide on pellet grilling, and I noticed this from Bentley.
Bentley wrote:GMG has come up with their "Open Flame Technology" on the Davy Crockett, and there is some thought that they may make it available to the DB and JB pits also...I have stepped enough on this thread. If folks want to know more about that I can start a thread here in WoodPellets about it
That would be helpful because it looks to me like the Davy Crockett IS designed to direct grill. Its' changes make it more like the Yoders, including:
- a redesigned fire pot feed to drop pellets
- a fan only mode to blow ash out of the firepot
- redesigned heat deflectors to expose the open flame

Obviously they wouldn't make these changes if the existing design was appropriate for direct grilling. Hopefully they could make these changes in v2 of the DB & JB and we can be done with the fighting.
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

The firepot on the DC is not redesigned same since inception, same as Daniel Boone or Jim Bowie, auger feed down a tube, no dropping pellets as you state. Check out the video on the Performance Test of the unit on Pelletheads.com if you want to see for yourself!

Fan only mode has been on ALL units since 2009, so not sure who told you this.

Heat diffuser is not redesigned, but has had holes added or it would defeat the purpose of the Open Flame Technology...and BTW, this technology was in several units LONG before Yoder started doing it!
Jester wrote: That would be helpful because it looks to me like the Davy Crockett IS designed to direct grill. Its' changes make it more like the Yoders, including:
- a redesigned fire pot feed to drop pellets
- a fan only mode to blow ash out of the firepot
- redesigned heat deflectors to expose the open flame

Obviously they wouldn't make these changes if the existing design was appropriate for direct grilling. Hopefully they could make these changes in v2 of the DB & JB and we can be done with the fighting.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

greeny03

Pellet BBQ Grilling

Post by greeny03 »

Hey Chris. Could you send the PDF to me also