Yuzu- For you Buc

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
Smokey

Yuzu- For you Buc

Post by Smokey »

Got myself two little trees budded from true Maquarrie University imported seeds (twenty years ago)
So, True to type. :D
Ive been trying to get one of these for years :D
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Buccaneer

Re: Yuzu- For you Buc

Post by Buccaneer »

Wow, that means you are going to have to get into your Japanese cuisines Mick, unless you plan to start a home cocktail bar! :lol:
Yuzu is great but it is bitter.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yep,
Its the rind I'm more interested in, The juice too but its nothing a lime or lemon wont do. Yes very bitter, The rind is heavenly in aroma and flavour.
Good to add a floral accent to a good bitter home brew beer. Ive also used it as a zest in bolognaise.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Dead right about the rind/zest, and man I would love to try a brewski because I think it is inspired!! Great idea!!
These trees would grow right through a Japanese winter, frosts and light snow. Talk about resilience for a citrus!
They grew on a mountain slope next to my house and I'll never forget the nasty surprise I got when I first picked, peeled and bit into one!
My face puckered up like a toothless 90 year old bag lady.
Fantastic base for steak sauce dips though!
sinkas

Post by sinkas »

You can get a beer from japanese craftbrewre BAird that has Yuzu in it, I think the International Beer shop in Perth has it
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it,
Is it a real beer or one made from soy instead of hops?

Japanese beers mostly don't appeal to me.
I do like some of their black beers.

Prefer shochu or sake to most of their commercial beers though.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Bucc,

I actually enjoy Japanese beer, especially Yebisu made from German hops but I also like Sapporo dry and Kirin Lager....quite like Aussie beer that!!

I find the Japanese beer very Malty compared to ours but i quite enjoy a Malty beer, in particular a Beer there called Malts...nice refreshing drop for a commercial beer.
But i can't get past yebisu when i get the chance to get over there or if someone i know is doing a trip, i ask them nicely to bring me back a couple of cans.
Isn't it great to be able to buy your beer per can from 50 ml to 1 litre with lots of sizes in between from your local supermarket without having to go to a seperate bottlo.
As for Sake......I've created many hangovers from that stuff....and it probably won't be the last time either :roll:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
sinkas

Post by sinkas »

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/baird-temp ... ale/71046/

There is a fair bit of good braft beer in Japan, Hitacho nest, Baird, and few others, most available here though,
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

I did love the civilized aspects of Japan, buying grog all over the place, the ease of liquor licenses means just about any place can sell liquor.
Also gotta love the fact that there are beer machines absolutely everywhere, and plenty of vending machines that sell all sorts of other grog too.
Only possible in societies that don't have feral thieves and A-hoes running around smashing and thieving all over the shop , eh?

Seems that there are microbreweries springing up in Japan that weren't there when I lived there.
Interesting. Japan has sensational water so that will really help!
That Biard is pricey hey!!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah Bucc, Speaking of vending machines everywhere, I remember back in '93 on my first ever trip to Japan, my wife-to -be(at that time) brother took us on a country drive somewhere down towards the bottom part of Chiba Prefecture and there were some of those pagoda style castles down there ( i don't know if they were actually castles) anyway, my fascination began when it seamt like we were in the middle of no-where in between umpteen rice paddie farms when there was a break in the long grass beside the road to display a row of 4 different type of vending machine right next to each other with no other buildings surrounding them...just vending machines all there on their own..I couldn't beleive my eyes!! I just though bloody hell....they wouldn't last one night in Australia without getting trashed, robbed or stolen.
We drove up in the car, wife's brother put some Y100 in machine for another surprise...hot coffee in cans? out here??? unbeleiveable!! Pokka cans..well it was a little bit too sweet but on a cold day was rather welcomed.
Ain't life intereting sometimes!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Sure is weird (Or normal) The Japanese conform to the law of the land and the way of life.
As you know Dave, They are fantastic people, very funny to. There sense of humor is outstanding.
In my younger years I took on students through a uni mate of mine and taught them "Stralien" , and in return they taught me Japanese stuff.
Had heaps of fun with them, Even broke a hart.
Good memories.
That was twenty years ago, It was "Hero" that told me of the Yuzu.
And Ive been looking ever since