Butchers in Queen Vic market?

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
HeatnSmoke

Butchers in Queen Vic market?

Post by HeatnSmoke »

As the title says, does anyone here have any preferred butchers at Queen Vic?

Also, I also want to try brisket, chuck and tri tip -- these seem to be Yankee names -- do local butchers call them something else?
Jester

Re: Butchers in Queen Vic market?

Post by Jester »

For beef, the bloke right at the end next to the Elizabeth street doors, in the fish section.
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
chriso

Post by chriso »

That's where I go for my beef. They stock cape grim and I got some hanger steaks there too not long ago.
TonyS

Post by TonyS »

Hello HeatnSmoke

The Guy they are referring to is SARDES Harry and Linda Sarde, The old man started the business yonks ago but catch up with Harry. first on the right when you come in from Elizabeth Street. Good Cape Grim beef order early in the week and they will put it aside for you, the Hanger is excellent.
Declaration of interest: TonyS is Tony Spencer and also posts as the Vendor BBQsPlus.com
HeatnSmoke

Post by HeatnSmoke »

Thanks for the tip, can't wait to give 'em a go! :D

Do they also offer good lamb and pork neck/shoulder or do you go to another butcher for that?
Jester

Post by Jester »

Just lamb and beef. I'm yet to find a pork butcher I'm happy enough with to recommend at Queen Vics
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Giddyup

Post by Giddyup »

HeatnSmoke wrote:As the title says, does anyone here have any preferred butchers at Queen Vic?

Also, I also want to try brisket, chuck and tri tip -- these seem to be Yankee names -- do local butchers call them something else?
If you want tri tip go to Costco. It's good quality and pretty cheap. Although last time I was there they only had it cut in strips. I prefer the entire cut, so hopefully they're still stocking it.
HeatnSmoke

Post by HeatnSmoke »

Yeah I've heard Costco has good meat. Problem is if I get a membership there the Domestic CEO is going to increase household debt, you know, the "look how much we're saving by buying everything on sale" approach to fiscal discipline. So I think I'll let that sleeping dawg lie :mrgreen:

On a more serious note I might try butchers in Box Hill for pork if Queen Vic doesn't make the grade. Thanks to all for the tips.