Bot Nem Nuong

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
shayneh2006

Bot Nem Nuong

Post by shayneh2006 »

I owe this thread to Sydking who found this product on a recent shopping trip to Cabra
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... &start=615

Previous to that post, i am supprised i have never seen it down there as i frquent Cabramatta more than any i know.

Oh Sydking, i was there again and mate, ALL THE SUPERMARKETS SELL IT.

The ingredients of this stuff is a little scetchy, with no quantities in percentages of each ingredient. The Pottasium Nitrite?????????????? how much is in it...

After some research on the Net, theres not alot about it.

The Name Bot=???? Nuong= Grilled dishes and nem nuong = ( broiled or char-grilled pork meatballs on a stick)

When i saw this, i thought that it could be incorporated into a wet cure for home made Bacon but i am still abit iffy without knowing how much Nitrite is in it.

Research more i will..

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
bodgy

Re: Bot Nem Nuong

Post by bodgy »

shayneh2006 wrote:ALL THE SUPERMARKETS SELL IT.

The ingredients of this stuff is a little scetchy, with no quantities in percentages of each ingredient. The Pottasium Nitrite?????????????? how much is in it...

After some research on the Net, theres not alot about it.

The Name Bot=???? Nuong= Grilled dishes and nem nuong = ( broiled or char-grilled pork meatballs on a stick)
Don't worry Shayne, probly in all the takeaway stuff already, just like the unlabeled "fish and chip shop" fish and the vannamei prawns undercutting the local fishos , we need to get used to not knowing what we're really eating.
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

bodgy wrote:Don't worry Shayne, probly in all the takeaway stuff already, just like the unlabeled "fish and chip shop" fish and the vannamei prawns undercutting the local fishos , we need to get used to not knowing what we're really eating.
Too right Bodgy :wink:

Thanks for the reply.

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
titch

Post by titch »

Just do some reading before you feed your Kids MSG.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Strider

Bot Nem Nuong

Post by Strider »

Yep. I would be far more worried about the MSG than about the nitrite content.

P.S. ingredients are listed in order of quantity.
talisker63

Bot Nem Nuong

Post by talisker63 »

MSG occurs naturally in high levels in many foods, do you like spaghetti with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese?
Tomatoes packed with it and those white crystals in Parmesan are pure MSG.

Each to your own, I never add it to food but I read that there is no proof of harmful effects...
leyeon

Post by leyeon »

Parents from Vietnam, half Vietnamese here. Never tried making Nem Nuong, always bought it premixed from the butcher and skewered them onto sticks or made them into balls. Yeah its a once in a few months party food really. Nothing like a few of these fresh off the charcoal with some beer or with in a crusty bread roll with salad and vietnamese pickles.

With this seasoning mix you can also make Nem Chua which is a cured/fermented pork dish that is flecked with raw garlic and chilli eaten raw. Sliced thin or thick the salty sweet sour flavours are funnily enough great with beer too!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Welcome back leyeon, I see you haven't posted for almost exactly a year now.....hope to see more of you around these forums. :)

I'm really happy that many Australians are now realising the tastes and crispness of Vietnamese foods, but both my wife and I love it and although my wife is Japanese, she can handle spices much better than I can :oops: but the tastes in viet food you just can't get in Chinese or other Asian crusine. Theres a little Viet restaurant in Kingsford that always has ppl lined up at the door and makes the best crispy skin chicken ever :P
sorry..slightly off topic...just wanted to say g'day to leyeon before he takes off for another 12 months :lol:
cheers

Davo
Admin/ mod
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
leyeon

Post by leyeon »

Thanks Davo, motivates me to contribute some more :)