Bunnings Rotisserie

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
ColMack

Bunnings Rotisserie

Post by ColMack »

Not sure of the best place to put this - but I finally went out and bought a Rotisserie - a cheap ($75) Bunnings 240v Mini Spit.

The 240v motor is rated at 15Kg - I will be mostly doing 2-3Kg pieces - so should be well within the capacity of the motor.

1st time I did a chook - kept it simple and just did a supermarket stuffing and no baste

Here it is where I was close to pulling it off - around 1.5 hours

Very moist - great taste from the charcoal - I think trussing the chook helped as far as keeping the chook together --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWNy7Gu-GpQ

Next effort was a rolled pork leg from Woolies

And after around 1.5 hours I had this

As a side - for half of the rind I used this method to get crackling --> http://www.twoporkswords.com/the-first- ... ous-swine/ - definitely made a difference and something I will try again.

I am really impressed with using a charcoal Spit - it is a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Col.
Large Green Grill Dome, Traeger Pro 22, Weber OTG, Hibachi (CI and Ceramic) and Traeger Junior
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Bunnings Rotisserie

Post by Davo »

Wow....pretty good for the trial run....i could get stuck into both of them.....i'm amazed at that crackling...goes to show how hot it can get at that distance from the fire.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Well done Col

We recently brought a water smoker and I have been practicing cooking chooks on it and the wife reckons it doesn't come close to when I do them on the rotisserie.. :?

A trick I do with the pork crackling - if you get a spot on section that doesn't crisp up as the rest - at the end I stop the rotisserie for 10-30 seconds with that area directly over the heat and do that 2 or 3 times and it catches up to the rest...but yours looks perfect...where's the apple sauce

Cheers L
ColMack

Post by ColMack »

lockyer wrote: [snip]

A trick I do with the pork crackling - if you get a spot on section that doesn't crisp up as the rest - at the end I stop the rotisserie for 10-30 seconds with that area directly over the heat and do that 2 or 3 times and it catches up to the rest...but yours looks perfect...where's the apple sauce

Cheers L
I basically did that for the pork.

Got the idea from here - http://www.twoporkswords.com/the-first- ... ous-swine/

Basically stop the motor for a min or two until you here it start to crackle - then rotate 360 deg and stop and wait another min or two for it to crackle - keep going until the strip is done. In theory it cools down on the 360 rotate and doesn't burn.

Once you have your crackling just leave the motor on and it cooks as normal with the fat dripping onto the coals and causing the odd flareup - adding awesome flavor.
Large Green Grill Dome, Traeger Pro 22, Weber OTG, Hibachi (CI and Ceramic) and Traeger Junior
Captain

Post by Captain »

Love your work there. It's a great thing to cook on the spit, something I really enjoy.
Nothing to see here.
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Hi Col

I must say you have me thinking about firing up my rotisserie soon, just need to get a few more roasts..
There are some many websites now available for us backyard BBQers, when I first brought home(5yrs back) my rotisserie there was little around about them. Today we're spoiled, thanks for the link will have a read.

Cheers L

PS I bought the Maverick ET -75 for the rotisserie - work perfect and now use it in my smoker as well as a remote temp gauge.
titch

Post by titch »

Just remember that balance is the most important thing with these lightweight spits
A counter balance is an essential piece to use
Cheers
Titch