The Heat Beads dilemma.

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
urbangriller

The Heat Beads dilemma.

Post by urbangriller »

I find this whole conversation about how to change the mindset of the average snag burner interesting, I'm sure most have no idea that food tastes better if cooked over charcoal or Heat Beads/charcoal.

My experience of the people who come to BBQ School is that most have had a Kettle once and found it too hard to light and clean, and I think it scares some of them. We look at Heat Beads and the methods of lighting them quite seriously in BBQ School, we even compare their performance with the crappy cheapies (which are not that cheap anymore) including a look at the dust and broken bits left when you tip the bag out. At the end of BBQ School most of them are going out to get a new kettle or get back the one they gave away.

I make sure they all understand the use of a chimney and that they can get detailed instruction on lighting techniques from the Heat Beads website (http://www.heatbeads.com.au/bbq-tips.html).

We are never going to get to the level that the Americans are without some serious education of the masses. Where is the BBQ show on Foxtel that exclusively uses Beads/charcoal?

Why are Bunnings only selling the inferior Sunbrix brand? Nothing will turn the customer off like beads that don't work. I'm not sure how you fight this kind of profit driven dumping of product, I for one have let my local Bunnings know they have lost my BBQ Fuel trade (gas included).

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

G'day Chris,

Yeah I feel the same about Bunnings in a way and really they are in some respects the Woolies of Hardware and are just trying to appeal to to a BBQ and Hardware crowd who really don't know much better of couldn't be bothered shopping around. Those Kind of customers are probably the hardest to convince as they are usually the "that'll do" customer.
I'm not suggesting that Bunnings sells all crap stuff but it's all from the land of Kung Fu. When I was living in Brisbane 18 months ago, the transport company I worked for used to drop about 12 x 40 foot containers of product at the Bunnings Distribution Wharehouse every night. That's 60 Containers a week average just for Queensland stores.

I did however buy some lump charcoal that came in a small 3kg box just to try it out as it was Australian Hardwood charcoal apparently and I was quite happy with that just for the grilling kind of cooking but when I want to do low and slow in the performer, It'll only always be Heatbeads as they are reliable, constant and long lasting.
I beleive the heatbeads briquettes are quite a good product. I seen them this week at Coles @ 2 for $10 so I bought 4 and I might go down this week and buy another 4 which should do me pretty much till next spring.
Those who I have seen that use the Kettles and other charcoal BBQs often use the easylight briquettes but I refuse to. I've never used subrix so can't comment on them.

Chris, with so much choice in the Gas BBQ market these days, most people just want something they can turn on and throw the chops on pretty much straght awaythen you have the yuppier end of the market with the mega outdoor kitchens that'll make anyone look like Iian Hewetson (TV chef) untill of course they start cooking whilst surrounded with masterfoods marinades and a (ooohh aaah) Glen Mcgrath cookbook.

There has always been debate in regards to whether briqettes will give the food a better taste than Gas and I reckon it does a bit but one of the things with charcoal/Briquette cooking is that it's easier to use smoking woods to get that authentic BBQ flavour and although i do like using Hickory, i also like using Redgum.

It will take a very long time if ever to get even close to the Americans in regards to the BBQ culture as they have very serious dedicated BBQ comps,heaps of dedicated BBQ cooking shows on TV, Barbeque equipment is dirt cheap (we are getting ripped off big time downunder) The amount of steakhouses and bbq eating houses in the US are like Maccas here, on every corner.

Oh well...my 3 Webers will keep me happy for a good while.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

I dunno but I reckon there is a difference between heatbeads and charcoal. I switched to lump years ago and only use heatbeads when I cannot get charcoald (which luckily has not happened in the last 3 years).
As for low and slow as I have my guru/stoker it is easy to keep the temp stable using lump charcoal.

I reckon the flavour is just different form BBQ-ing on charcoal (yeah I know heatbeads are actually very good) and I know that they are made of wood. Whilst with heatbeads you really never know what they put in them?

Anyway I can be a purist as much as I want to be and I do realise that the bulk of BBQ-ers out there will not use lump (as it is hard to find at times :( ). I've had some great cooks on my WSM using heatbeads but given the choice (which I have) I only use charcoal....
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

As I said in an earlier post only 2 - 3% of kettle owners that I come across actually grill on it. Everyone says that the kettle does a superb roast and most use it for the Christmas Pork and Turkey. I have been trying to show people what can be done with the kettle and charcoal/heatbeads. One of the main problems that we face is the fact that most have busy lifestyles where both partners work, they get so used to coming home from work late, firing up the gasser and burning a few snags or a steak adding a pre-prepared salad from the supermarket and that's dinner.
On the weekend it's the same thing when entertaining except that the guests bring the salad. It's just burn the meat and get it over with.

Then there are the other people who would love to cook different things but just have never been shown, these are the people that we need to put our efforts into and show them.
it's a pity that Aus Char don't have a travelling road show doing just that, imagine how much their sales could increase.

Hopefully if we continue to discuss the virtues of direct grilling over charcoal/heatbeads in this forum people may start to realise how good it is.

Regards

Phil aka Captain Cook
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I'm glad you bought that up Phil, about grilling that is!!

Over the past few years since I've been really utilising the Weber kettle, I've mainly tried to perfect the roast and lately American style low & slow style BBQ which I still love doing but recently I've been getting into grilling on the Performer and in particular Roadside Chicken (American style) and have had some mixed results but no real screw-ups but I'm really starting to enjoy the art of high temp direct grilling then indirect once the food has a decent char.
One thing I've had a go at is a style I beleive is called 'reverse searing' where as you start with high heat indirect such as a butterflied chicken for example, then when it's just about done, throw it over direct heat and char both sides. The difference this makes is absolutely gobsmackingly awesome :P

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I like the road show idea and I agree that we are suffering from a plethora of popularised “personality” and four ingredient cookbooks. I really think it is time for a “Real Men Cook Real Food” kind of approach; the problem is all the companies think they need a pretty boy or ex sportsman to give their products credibility, they don’t seem to care about Real Food, just the sales. Hell the makers of Gas BBQ’s can’t even do a little R&D so we can have on with real temperature and airflow control.
I think Bunnings need to be told their lack of support for the Heat Beads product shows a disregard for the needs of their customers, oh and why don’t they stock Weber kettles anymore, do they really think people want to buy their jackaroo branded cheap copy?

Cheers
Chris
Theweberchef

Post by Theweberchef »

Amazing isnt it that in Australia where BBQ is so much a part of our culture no one seems to be able to do anything but gas snaggers to death...

I agree that Bunnings as one of the countries biggest 'go to' places for BBQ is pushing their inferior brands onto the market and should be ashamed!

Hey Chris, do you wanna be in one of my little You Tube movies?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Yes Chris it is true about Bunnings - Its not the money - it's always the money.
Sell cheap inferior products for a high volume and get all the add on sales.
Its our culture's fault though because we are always looking and asking for a discounted price and never want to pay full book.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
Theweberchef

Post by Theweberchef »

Just think, there will soon be a generation of Australians that think a Jumbuck kettle IS a Weber.

I demand government intervention!
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Have to admit lately the Weber I use is my gas Weber my WSM is stored under the house.
Cooking with a charcoal is so easy though, put some in your (Weber) chimney and in about 20 minutes you can start to cook...
Ceramic cooking is the way to go for me low-slow and hugh temps... (I haven't tried the reverse style cook with chicken should try that!).
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Theweberchef

Post by Theweberchef »

I tried reverse searing a rump steak last week, the flareups grilling direct freaked me a little, but overall it was pretty nice. How do you guys deal with flare ups?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

There are still many folks around who just like to throw a steak or some snags or chops on the barbie and not get involved with the modern methods or modern BBQ equipment today. Many are afraid of overcooking with charcoal as it's not as easy as turning a gas knob if all gets a bit out of control. Some folks just like a good old hotplate style like they use at sausage sizzles at Lions club events.
I actually have 2 friends who insist that if it's not on an outdoor hotplate, then it's not bbq-ing and that they can do everything on one hotlate at a time like eggs, onions etc. My next door neighbor is included in those 2 and he recently bought a stainless steel Teppanyaki styled hotplate bbq and absolutely loves it and often see him outside cooking the dinner before the family gets home. It's a nice looking cooker but because it's a good quality stainless steel, it cost him near $1000 but he's the kind of bloke who actually hates smokey meats so unfortunately I can't educate him on the Weber(I've tried countless times :? ), but there are plenty of folks out there like that who won't budge from the norm.

I guess it's like any other opportunity, seek out those who want to go further with bbq and teach them but I'm afraid that teaching the masses here in Oz is going to be a tough deal.
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yes ,
I can play the Weberchef video game (maybe you should come and have a look at BBQ School: Feb 21).

This whole idea of education is big on my agenda, I was contacted by Rolf Zubler (World BBQ Association) a while back wanting me to start an Australian BBQ Association, perhaps this is something this group should do?

If people are keen, I'll start a new topic so we can iron out some of the details etc.

Cheers
Chris
Theweberchef

Post by Theweberchef »

Great idea, I would be all over that. Australia like South Africa rates itself as a BBQ culture yet we have very little culture that I can see of actually making great food. All of us here, and some are better than others, care about what we produce so an association is an excelant idea.

The make up of our group is perfect for this....

We have a bunch of blokes here that give a stuff about the food. Davo for instance is always trying new things and is always punching away with his kettle to perfect the craft. I dare say Davo is serving food on his BBQ that most people did not think was possible. Mate I would love to come to one of your barbies, hands off of course!

Paul R, the founder of this group and a genuine BBQ freak, with his tested pit of BBQ weapons and sublime BBQ skill is the original Weber/BBQ master, he has given us the platform to be a little bit obsessive!

Captain Cook........The Grand Master. I'm pretty sure all of us here, particularly newbies like my self thoroughly digest every word you write. I have picked up so much from your posts and recipes, I would love to supply some Cabernet, some top quality meat and BBQ with you. If you find yourself in Perth, your money is no good here.

Tovinator, another backyard master. Most blokes rate themselves as BBQ gurus, like the way most blokes rate themselves as drivers! You actually are serious about the craft and to my mind that is terrific. Mate anytime you are in WA I will happily let you drive my Weber.

Urban Griller...
Mate what you do with BBQ is serious. Your skills and scientific breakdown of the process (after many hours of research) I believe is world class. If we were in a position of electing a founder of an asscocition you would win hands down.

We might be onto something here, we all have skills and expertise that can compliment each other. Why not start getting a little bit serious about our hobbies/craft...
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

First of all, before I start my reply, I truly hope that those of you who are living in Melbourne & Adelaide are ok after those blistering hot temps.
I seen on the news tonight that the overnight temp in Melbourne was 34C.
Holy Cow...that's bloody hot!! Hope you all don't end up like overcooked, blackened briskets by the end of next week. Keep up the fluids.....at least 4 cartons of your favourite beverage should do it.

Ok, Chris....this sounds like a marvellous Idea about starting a BBQ association although I wouldn't know the first thing about starting one up but if I can contribute somehow, I'll do my best.
I'll be interested in reading your ideas or any ideas just so I can understand what the association will aim for and what we hope it may acheive. I'm into anything that will promote BBQ, to the point where some of the guys from work are sick of me talking about it.

Theweberchef, holy smokes mate..hehehehe what an introduction (thankyou)and kind words but let me assure you, I'm no backyard chef and not that far removed from the days of the burnt snags and chops, however I love BBQing and try to have a go at some of the things I read mostly from the internet and some cookbooks.
Some of my favourite inspirations come from the BBQ pitboys website which I found from youtube is: www.barbecueweb.com
This is where I learnt a lot of what I've written below.
Whilst I read how the Americans acheive a certain taste & technique, one of the most challenging for me is some of the ingredients they use or some of the rubs they buy that we can't get here due to our tough quarantine restrictions.
I think one of the best techniques I learnt over the past 18 months is the way the Americans arrange their indirect fire on the kettle to acheive a hot zone and a cooler zone by putting the coals on one side of the kettle only rather than the standard Weber way of coals on both sides and found that the new way is very good because it will take longer to do the actual cook but the results are much moister meat than I could acheive with the original way. I always use this way for direct & indirect grilling now and love it. I also put a tray of water over the fire area ontop of the grill bars to keep the moisture up.
The 2nd best method, which is an extention of the above is of course the Minion method. Jim Minion who incidently is a contributor here in these threads had started a phenonemon in the BBQ and smoking world where he did the previously unthinkable and poured hot coals over unheated coals to burn down rather than up and gave an absolute time bending cook even on a kettle although it was designed to be used in the WSM(I think).
I got a 6-7 hour cook on a 2.2kg Pork Shoulder on my performer and i reckon it would have gone 9 hours without adding more.....brilliant and what's more, by using the heatbeads, I didn't taste any foul or unusual taste to the food due to yet unheated coals....simply brilliant!!

These are the things i love to explain to folks and show them if I get the chance, that charcoal bbqing is and can be great fun and whilst they might have bought a gasser, I still say to them "why not have both"? Enjoy both worlds and if they buy a kettle I'll come over and give them some pointers.
Jeez you can buy a good kettle on ebay for around $40-$80...cheaps as chips and it'll last them a lifetime.
So I'm not great cook, definately not fancy, but I'm like you guys, a fanatic, and enthusiastic BBQer.
Hopefully one day, I can be half as good as the other guys you mentioned.

Cheers,Beers & Good BBQin' :wink:

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Jumbo Joe - black