ribs done 3 2 1 on the LANG

All about smokers hot and cold
Commander Cody

ribs done 3 2 1 on the LANG

Post by Commander Cody »

howdy! i said HOOOOWDY.......Fellow freaks

tonight, i have a story...of mouthopen, full gobsmaked puzelamzemnet....yes pull that nerve calming substance into your gut do big burp and .....wonder where these fingers are going to take youse now .

today i did went and did sumfink i thought i would neva do...........the 3 2 1 on me LANG no less :shock: after reading a lot of forums (yes there are more out there) :) i fell into a deep and dark well, :( i was in the don't eva use foil zone.....it is not real BBQ.......and had success after success arfter a failiur or three....i thought the tucker was bloody good 'ey.....my people all raved about it and so naturally i got a big head ....well i ..........bloody traeger 'ey. i did ribs on the traeger t'other day that used foil in the method....i did this because the night before i did 'em me old method.....now ,before youse klik away from my mumblings...i really stuffed up the first rib cookout by going yeah, yeah ,bloody yeah..i've been doin' BBQed ribs for eva......wacked 'em in and went me old method.....i think they were overcooked by about 2 hours and even me dawg looked at me with a what the f-bomb is going on here 'ey?....so..... i appolagised to me dog and suggested to the wife that home delivered pizza would be a good call...........any way i think i will get on with it ......

11 racks of pork spares, demembrained, rubed, shoved in fridge to comtemplate whose belly they might end up in.
1 LANG 84 all fired up to the embers level, with the pecan logs chucked and the dampers all set to control.
one tru tell at around 200f.
one wide eyed foil fool. with dreams of doing the traeger experiance on the lang.......with camera in hand..... :lol: :lol:

basically this is what i did, 3hrs bone side down.....sprayed with apple juice on an hourly..taken out and foiled with a splash of apple juice with a little chili for 2 hrs...............taken out of foil and put back in for 0.75hrs.....painted sauce on with around 15 minutes to go......

i am now being restained because struth, bloody nora OMG f-bomb these are the best f-bombing ribs i have eva dun........

now for some pikkies.
lang 3 2 1.jpg
lang 3 2 1.jpg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 2355 times

before foiling.jpg
before foiling.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
Attachments
lang foil 1.jpg
lang foil 1.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Commander Cody

Re: ribs done 3 2 1 on the LANG

Post by Commander Cody »

the last post did not allow room for the last two photos...............foilng and the finished ribs..

enjoy
foiling.jpg
foiling.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
ribs ready!!.jpg
ribs ready!!.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
hope you like.....kevin
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Nice work!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Kevin
I think you might have just hit BBQ ribs nirvana...they look awesome. :P

I actually would have though that 2 hours in foil is too long.....i usually do about 3 hours in the smoke at about 220-250F, 1 Hour in foil with a spray of apple juice and cider vinegar, then about an 30 mins to an hour naked again untill it splits underneath at the bone when you lift up one end...i usually monitor it closely at the last hour and am not too woried about the actual cooking part as the after foil time is for tone up and at least an hour is warranted if you have in foil for 2 hours as the meat might become too mushy. You still need a bit of chew in the ribs.

cheers
Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Davo,

yeah, at the beginng i thought that as well....but decided to have a few passengers along for the ride.....namely the boffers (in these forums) who claim this to be the way to go....thought i would stay true to their method.

the low and slow smoked, went good, the foiling for 2hrs, interesting, when i unwrapped them they were so OMG tender and fall apart i near shat me daks i tells ya......i thought i had gone a stuffed up another lot of ribs.....but......i gingerley put them back in and.....as you said, they toned up nicely....

just to be sure, i might try the 3: 1: 0.5hrs: next....so as chris say's...i wana play with my food.

sorry i did not get photos of the ribs sliced..... i left me camera at home. but, i promise you they went a treat.....true story.

kevin
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Kev,

I would've been a little nervous if they were fall off the bone tender when unwrapped from the foil stage as I don't want the meat to feel like it's been cooking in water and then by firming them up,don't want them to be overcooked.I think one hour in foil is plenty or perhaps you might wanna bump the temp up to 250F instead of 200-220F for that one hour then unwrap and firm up with the sauce being applied as you did.

As I understand it, the process for foiling is to hurry it up and to acheive a moist rib texture and that is great but left too long it can all become too mushy.

Ribs are a funny cut of meat because no 2 ribs will behave the same, some will take longer than others but hopefully the results can be close.

I hope those you're cooking for contribute to the cost of all that good tucker :P

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Davo,

mate, no they did not go mushie, but, when i took them out of the foil they weren't quite fall of the bone .....but, bloody close enough to give me a fright......
and no, they who demolished this offering did not put their hands in their pocket, because i don't do it that way......(my treat), and, really they were my guinie pigs.....but i think i might start charging for them......many have tried them, and are telling me i should take them on the road.....

but if it becomes a money spinner........will it still be as much fun?

kevin
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Kevin, A great post and awesome piccis.

It would be a good business with the Lang. You could have them done up to the final hour and saucing and finish them off and sell them straight out of the Lang. the Lang on its own would draw in the punters.

Glad they turned out so well for you, I could devour a couple of racks now.

Cheers Mate

Phil aka Captain Cook