Bacon questions

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Smokey

Re: Bacon questions

Post by Smokey »

Chris, On the Kwikurit pack it says 30grams to 4.5lt for brine and 60 grams to 45kg finished block for small goods.

How did they arrive at 10 grams in that recipe?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey Mick wrote:Chris, On the Kwikurit pack it says 30grams to 4.5lt for brine and 60 grams to 45kg finished block for small goods.

How did they arrive at 10 grams in that recipe?
No idea Mick......but the rest of it they have ripped from that recipe NP scanned!

All this says we should work out a Generic recipe based on products we can get here!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

That same rip is also on Butcher at homes website.
http://www.butcherathome.com.au/category/curing-recipes

I was going to post it but the cooking method is a little convoluted and is a little on the cool side.
Also seems to suit electric smokers that can change temp on a whim so I left it out.
Ill start a convo in science
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

I think a generic basic recipe would be fantastic, put into its own thread.
I am picking up a piece of belly tomorrow and getting some 6.25% cure #1 sent to me from a local supplier (not sure what brand it is)

So hopefully I can figure out which recipe to use for my first shot.

Chris, that recipe says smoke at 60C, that somewhat midway between a cold smoke and hot smoke from what I have seen on the forum is it not?
I was thinking of smoking at 250F?

Nath
Nath
gnol

Post by gnol »

Busio90 wrote:I think a generic basic recipe would be fantastic, put into its own thread.
I am picking up a piece of belly tomorrow and getting some 6.25% cure #1 sent to me from a local supplier (not sure what brand it is)

Chris, that recipe says smoke at 60C, that somewhat midway between a cold smoke and hot smoke from what I have seen on the forum is it not?

Nath
Busio,
keep it simple to start with.
as mentioned earlier I use the methods printed in the book Chacauterie and have had no problems so far.

This is directly from the book.

Basic dry cure
1pound/450gm Kosher salt (I used shock horror "normal" salt)
8 ounces/225 gm sugar
2 ounces/50gm pink salt ( pink salt is a combination containing 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite) which is what you are getting by the sounds of it.

NOW

For every 5 pounds/2.25kg of meat you use 2 ounces/50 grams of the basic cure.
So for example if I have 2x1kg piece I will use about 22-23gms per 1 kg.

Cure it in a bag for a week then smoke it using the method on the Redback Trading site.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I Couldnt find that redback trading site recepie, did they take it out? Got a link?
Ive started a discussion in science
(That works out correct Gnol- Exactly in fact)
Last edited by Smokey on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnol

Post by gnol »

BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

titch wrote:
BBQ&BEERS wrote:I'm a little confused on this dry wet cure argument. :oops: :oops:

1. How is wet more dangerous than dry cure if your using a curing agent in both?
2. I don't have Kwikurit, I bought a product called Vadals Ham Cure DC 3. I used this when i did a wet ham at Christmas. Can I use the Vedals as a dry rub or since I have all the experience of having done one :roll: ham do I try a wet bacon?

Not real keen on poisoning myself but I'm super keen to have a crack at bacon.

Cheers for any advice.
Send me your address and I will send some cure to you to try
Thanks Titch a very kind offer, but i can literally walk across the road to the butcher supply shop and buy Kwikurit. What I'm not understanding is why is wet curing more dangerous then dry cure.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

BBQ&BEERS wrote:
titch wrote:
BBQ&BEERS wrote:I'm a little confused on this dry wet cure argument. :oops: :oops:

1. How is wet more dangerous than dry cure if your using a curing agent in both?
2. I don't have Kwikurit, I bought a product called Vadals Ham Cure DC 3. I used this when i did a wet ham at Christmas. Can I use the Vedals as a dry rub or since I have all the experience of having done one :roll: ham do I try a wet bacon?

Not real keen on poisoning myself but I'm super keen to have a crack at bacon.

Cheers for any advice.
Send me your address and I will send some cure to you to try
Thanks Titch a very kind offer, but i can literally walk across the road to the butcher supply shop and buy Kwikurit. What I'm not understanding is why is wet curing more dangerous then dry cure.
Its not, With my discussion with Kwikurit they would prefer you stick to wet curing.
I explaned that people are doing it anyway and we need an answer of which they gave (Go with the brine ratio)
Dry curing is just easyer and uses less large containers and fridge space
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

gnol wrote:
Busio90 wrote:I think a generic basic recipe would be fantastic, put into its own thread.

Nath
Busio,
keep it simple to start with.
as mentioned earlier I use the methods printed in the book Chacauterie and have had no problems so far.

This is directly from the book.

Basic dry cure
1pound/450gm Kosher salt (I used shock horror "normal" salt)
8 ounces/225 gm sugar
2 ounces/50gm pink salt ( pink salt is a combination containing 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite) which is what you are getting by the sounds of it.

NOW

For every 5 pounds/2.25kg of meat you use 2 ounces/50 grams of the basic cure.
So for example if I have 2x1kg piece I will use about 22-23gms per 1 kg.

Cure it in a bag for a week then smoke it using the method on the Redback Trading site.
Thanks Gnol, yes that is what I'm getting. I will keep it simple for the first one, make up a batch of the "basic cure" and give the dry cure method a shot.
I am still a little confused on whether u should be smoking at 250f or at 30c and then raising up to 60c.
I just wish belly wasn't $10kg in Perth.

Nath
Nath
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

This is what I received today.
Not sure what the last 2 ingredients are of if they should be there or not.
This was the only retailer I could find in Perth (I'm sure there is more) but Internet searches came up with SFA.
I will use this to make up a batch of basic cure.

Nath
Nath
gnol

Post by gnol »

That looks fine Busio.
With the smoking I smoke at about 55-60C for about 6 hours.
I'm still in the learning stage so it is good enough for me.
Everyone is complaining because there has been no homemade bacon in the house for a few weeks.
I'll be putting on 3 bellies to cure tomorrow night for smoking the weekend after.
titch

Post by titch »

The red is just a foods safe Dye.
So you don,t use this as table salt etc by mistake.
Dextrose can be many things , maybe just a sweetener or used as a binder in this case,
Cheers
Titch
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

gnol wrote:That looks fine Busio.
With the smoking I smoke at about 55-60C for about 6 hours.
I'm still in the learning stage so it is good enough for me.
Everyone is complaining because there has been no homemade bacon in the house for a few weeks.
I'll be putting on 3 bellies to cure tomorrow night for smoking the weekend after.
Thanks Gnol, any ideas how I can get this sorta temp out of the kamado, not sure I can keep it that low! Or should I do it in the kettle with only a few heatbeads going.

Nath
Nath
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

titch wrote:The red is just a foods safe Dye.
So you don,t use this as table salt etc by mistake.
Dextrose can be many things , maybe just a sweetener or used as a binder in this case,
Thanks Titch!
I'll be using the whole lot to make one batch of cure, so there shouldn't be any worry about that

Nath
Nath