Which do you prefer...

36%
8%
56%

Total votes: 25

Kristin Meredith

Please help me choose which dessert looks best

Post by Kristin Meredith »

I messed up with an entry for this month's contest and forgot to shoot the pictures with the glass of wine. But all is not lost, because now I can ask everyone to look at 3 versions of the dessert and say which one they like best. Also, if you would offer some input on how to improve, what you liked, did not like etc it would be most appreciated.

This is a Peaches & Cream Cobbler. If you feel like being a KCBS judge, you can also give me a number for appearance as I would receive in a KCBS contest. 9=excellent, 8=good,7=above average,6=average,5=below average and I am hoping nothing below a 5!!

Thanks for viewing, voting and commenting!!!

Entry #1

Entry #2

Entry #3

Smokey

Re: Please help me choose which dessert looks best

Post by Smokey »

Is it a single serve Kristin?
To me a cobbler is a family sized dessert and spooned out with Ice cream placed to the side.
If its a single serve then No 3
What I like about it is that the peach shows red and that tells my eyes its going to be sweet. The red tones being the best bits.
Id like to see more crumble. Difficult to do with a small surface area of that bowl.
Thinking of eating that Im afraid I will run out of crumble before only peach is left. (Im a mixer eater)
Maybe make a furrow in the centre so more crumble can be added but still get the great look of the peaches protruding.
I like the doughy soft crumble that does not brown up, as well as the crunchy top.

So , No 2 if its to be dished out and No 3 if its a single serve
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Armchairbenko

Post by Armchairbenko »

This has made my mouth water :P

For some reason I like picture # 1 the best - maybe that has something to do with the wood table as the background tho... :?

They all look fantastic tho Kristin :!:

Armchairbenko
titch

Post by titch »

No 1 for me, the food/dish looks too camouflaged in the last 2 pictures.
cheers
Cheers
Titch
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

HI Kirsten, Bad luck with the wine. I like the first pic. The warmth of the wood matches the dessert. The other 2 seem washed out by the similar coloured background. In pic 2 the contrast from adding the Mint sprig is good. I think that there is too much cream in the third pic though, it hides that lovely pud, maybe just a small dollop to the side?

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs :oops:
Have you thought about cropping the original pics? First rule I learnt is "Fill the Frame" Get real close to the subject and cut down the background clutter. It can take a dearer lens but if that's not for you then crop back to the subject.
I realise that this sort of closeup is hard when you have to include a glass of wine :D

Here's a couple cropped down.....

Even closer.

beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Oh, and 47 views and only 8 votes? Come on people which one do you like? Please give Kirsten some feedback. You don't have to write a reply, you can just vote.

Cheers, Wayne
talisker63

Please help me choose which dessert looks best

Post by talisker63 »

The second last one, cropped in but not all the way.
Looks the goods to me
Kristin Meredith

Post by Kristin Meredith »

Thanks for the votes and replies so far. I should have explained a bit more about a KCBS dessert comp. You need to submit 6 individual portions or one entry which can be dished into 6 portions. Since it has to be "dished" onto a paper mat, I feel that cobbler is best served individually so that it would not run all over the mat.

For meat, you have to use the styrofoam box they provide. For desserts, you are allowed anything you want so any type of tray (wood, silver, glass, etc); you can cover in any typre of cloth you want; you can use whatever bowls, cups, plates, etc. You are even allowed to decorate your tray with flowers, fruits, etc.

I was just trying to concentrate on one entry instead of presenting all 6 for judging on a tray as I would for a true KCBS event. I though the glass bowl might be good to see the fruit in from all sides. Hope I am giving a bit more of a picture. Thanks so much for the input to date!
peteru

Post by peteru »

If we for a second ignore the subject matter at hand, the table cloth is not doing you any favours. It's distracting and busy, thus the main subject of the photo is diminished. What you want to do is pick a plain background that provides high contrast to your product, use a large aperture lens, zoom right in and get a nice bokeh. You will also want your light to come from an area source as opposed to a point source to eliminate any harsh shadows and get a nice, even illumination.

Post by aussie »

#3 for me.

I would like to see no melting on the icecream, that goes against what the "experts" on masterchef say.

Lot of competitions knowing what the judges like goes a long way to helping you win.