Pellet cookers in the tropics

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Smokey

Pellet cookers in the tropics

Post by Smokey »

This is really a question for Bentley, But any comment from others are good comment.

When I look at USA made pellet and stick burners, They seem to me made for inland citys where cars dont rust.
Im contemplating a pellet grill in the future to replace a WSM , Kettle and a mini spit.
However where I live anything on the patio will mould up and or rust very quickly.
Its a full time job taming the wild at my joint.

What in the US has a name for being dutiful in high humidity areas?

I see Green Mountain are getting gear tested? How does their gear fair down in Florida Keys or where the aligators grow so big?

Thanks
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Bentley

Re: Pellet cookers in the tropics

Post by Bentley »

There are a lot of pellet users in the Pacific Northwest and Florida on Pelletheads.com. The PNW is a very rainy climate 300 days of the year and Florida is very high humidity. Have never seen complaints about rust issues in either area, unless the unit was neglected. But we are a young site at 6 1/2 years, so there is not a lot of long term data.

Most Evil Stick Burners are either just raw steel or high heat painted. Most Pellet units are powder coated or Stainless Steel, so that may make a difference too.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

to back up Bentley on the Evil stick burners....................

i scored mine from a bloke living at Nth Kirra, and, yeah there was some rust, but i think it was due to neglect, any-how it was only surface rust, and the use of a good welding brush and a couple of cans of fire resisitant paint, it is as good as new.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

GMG have passed the Aust Standards, so expect to see them soon.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Sweet! Will be very interested to see what they retail for and if they are accepted like the Traeger and the Yoder!
urbangriller wrote:GMG have passed the Aust Standards, so expect to see them soon.

Chris
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Did not see this part.

Any SS unit will hold up. Problem is the only two Manufactures that I know of that are completely SS are Hearthland, LLC which makes the Memphis line and Fast Eddy/Cookshack models and to the best of my knowledge, neither has plans to be sold there yet. Hopefully you all will embrace Pellet cooking like it is here and you will see more imported, but that could be 10 years.

I just don't think you are going to have an issues with ANY pellet unit with high humidity or rain as long as it is covered when not in use. And the slightest amount of care is given to the pit!
Smokey Mick wrote: What in the US has a name for being dutiful in high humidity areas?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Jester

Post by Jester »

Cookshacks are available here. I'm loaning 2 for the upcoming Sydney competition :D

They don't have a retailer network like other brands so its harder to see what they're like, but they are available via http://www.smo-kingovens.com.au and they were at the Melbourne festival.
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

It does not look like Fast Eddy by Cookshack Pellet units are available on their site. Just the Electric smokers, which are some fine products themselves!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thanks fellas, Food for thought.
I want to de clutter the patio and I reckon a large gas bbq, A pellet bbq and a komado should cover all my needs.
I wont sell the Go Anywhere however, but the WSM and Kettle's days are numbered. As much as that hurts to say :|
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I just sold an FEC 120 last week to a Restaurant setting up here in Perth, Lance at Big Boy uses them as well.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
edgy

Post by edgy »

I'll probably get banned for saying this but I will anyway. :lol:

Yoder - I'd like to see anyone out live that thing.. :lol:

Those FEC's are a seriously impressive bit of gear too, but just overkill for home use.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

eyes open guys, looks like there will be a wsm on gumtree soon :D
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Smokey Mick wrote:Thanks fellas, Food for thought.
I want to de clutter the patio and I reckon a large gas bbq, A pellet bbq and a komado should cover all my needs.
I wont sell the Go Anywhere however, but the WSM and Kettle's days are numbered. As much as that hurts to say :|
ol' Smokey...........................

dooooood..............keep the bullet. c'mon mate...........you of all other brethren on this forum knows..............just how bloody good the WSM is...

it would be the last of my weapons to go.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Commander Cody wrote:
Smokey Mick wrote:Thanks fellas, Food for thought.
ol' Smokey...........................

dooooood..............keep the bullet. c'mon mate...........you of all other brethren on this forum knows..............just how bloody good the WSM is...

it would be the last of my weapons to go.

kevin
The last Kev??? Even Gordy would go first???? :shock: :shock:

Crikey!! :roll:
Last edited by Davo on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yoda and Fec is too dear. Good mind you but way past budget
CC, I have to put some out to get another in. Its a mental thing that my missus has :roll:
Although I could stuff the wsm in the roof I suppose,,,,,