Seal has come unstuck

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Shane_H

Seal has come unstuck

Post by Shane_H »

Hey all, as the title suggests my top seal has come off, it still looks to be in good nick but the glue has just failed. I noticed this after having a few ppl over for a pizza night, the rig pumped out 9 pizzas one every 8-10 mins! Was very happy with the performance! Best results were at about 250c, if did creep up to 280 at 1 point but I brought it back down.

Unfortunately I noticed next time I opened it, loose top seal, cracked pizza stone and a crack in the top fire ring :( won't affect performance but I hate the look of the crack :(

Anyway to the point what are the seals stuck on with? Where do I get it? I'm assuming some sort of heat proof glue???

Cheers
Shane
Gumb

Re: Seal has come unstuck

Post by Gumb »

I had a felt seal come apart. A thin layer had remained stuck to the lid but the main body of the felt peeled off. It was an original felt seal like those on the KJ. I used some Kwik Grip spray on contact adhesive which is good for material and it's worked fine. No issues with high temps or smell.

Other than that, it might mean a new seal is in order. I eventually did that too.
MrBrown

Post by MrBrown »

Blew a seal?

Nah, just eaten an icecream :lol:
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

MrBrown wrote:Blew a seal?

Nah, just eaten an icecream :lol:

Boom Boom.

Those temps should not cause cracks, more likely there was moisture in the ceramic. High temp silicone will glue the seal back down.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

urbangriller wrote:
Those temps should not cause cracks, more likely there was moisture in the ceramic. High temp silicone will glue the seal back down.

Cheers
Chris
The problem I found with that was that it's a prick of a thing to remove when you want to change seals.
Last edited by Gumb on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

You can get high temp glue from BBQ/ Heater places.
Lookes a bit like chalky pva. Easy clean off when time to renew.
Im up for fitting a non sticky back nomex seal now myself.
Im not keen on spray adhesives. They are still plasic right?

If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

I'm off to buy some of that gear today Mick. Assume it dries overnight?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

For your sakes I hope so :lol:
It should be ok with lid down pressure over night.
I glued down a felt seal with it and it did not let go.
That was July last year, I might get a few more months out of it but last week I started up the egg and forgot about it with all vents open. When I "remembered" The bloody thing was way past red line of 750F.
Still managed to pull it back to 400f and roast a leg of lamb but it gave the felt a hammering.
The glue goes off quik so add it in foot lengths as you place the seal down. Add plenty as its easy to chip off dried over hang.
Set the bands after it has had a spell overnight with just the lid weight. And dont disturb it as it get better with some heat and a few cooks.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Thanks Mick. Should get two eggs done out of the 500g tube. Pretty reasonably priced!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey Mick wrote:I might get a few more months out of it but last week I started up the egg and forgot about it with all vents open. When I "remembered" The bloody thing was way past red line of 750F.
Still managed to pull it back to 400f and roast a leg of lamb but it gave the felt a hammering.
I've got into the habit of setting a timer for 10 min when I start the charcoal.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

A timer works, or getting to know your Kamado does too. You don't need everything open full throttle to heat her up. Did a couple of KGs of wing this morning. Started the fire at 09.30. Bottom vent 10mm, top 15, two fire lighters and place-setter in and walked away. 30 minutes down the beach and came back to a 400F oven. Ultimately looking for 225F, after lid up for a few minutes loading the wings, lid down now 190s, she came back up to 225 like a rocket.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yeh I can do that Cardy, That time I was in a rush for a hot roast with only three hours till dinner time.
Then I got stuck on the phone,, for a while,,,, Forgot. :lol:
Must get a little robust mechanical timer as that might just help.
I blame bloody clients ringing at witching hour :roll:
That glue you have is enough for about twenty BGEggs btw. Still cheap as I think my little bottle cost about $12.
I also cant find the bottle I bought :lol: So when your done with yours :roll: :oops:
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Smokey Mick wrote: I also cant find the bottle I bought :lol: So when your done with yours :roll: :oops:
No drama at all. Use it before it goes off. Nice to see it's an Australian product.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Cheers mate, I might need it if I cant find mine or when and if I do it might be shot.
Its a weird product, Not sticky at all. Its like water based timber putty mixed with some cross polymer that is also water based.
Nothing like what you would expect glue to be.
But a parquetry floor layer would understand what it feels and drys like.
What are you using as a new gasket?
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Smokey Mick wrote: What are you using as a new gasket?
Giving the BGE felt a miss for ever. I have a Rutland kit on one now that isn't very old but that blasted thick black glue must have been old stock (near impossible to get out of the tube) and has stuffed the seals. I have a spare Nomex but will pop back down the stove and fireplace joint where I got that sealant to see what they have for the other.