Thai Fish Cakes

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Mountain Mick

Thai Fish Cakes

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Guys

Here is my lastest article for my food colunm in our local new paper "The Argus" and it cooks up a treat on the BBQ hot plate, Great made small as finger food or make them larger as part of the main meal , I make giant ones and lot up a very Nice Thai Fish Burger. hope you like them, MM

Thai Fish Cakes
© 2013 by Mountain Mick Blake the Mountain Griller. Baree QLD Australia
O Man that was some rain we had, I start to think I was in Thailand in a monsoon forest, so my mind wander and my thoughts drifted to Fish cake not just any old fish cake by those lovely Thai Fish Cake with that lovely curry taste and that zest bite of lime, next minutes I was buying fresh fish fillet and had a lime in my hand. Dream can become reality. This is my take on Thai Fish Cakes I think I've done them proud. I hope you love them as much as we do. Mountain Mick

1kg firm white flesh Fish such as Ling,Snapper,Catfish,Cod or Flake, coarsely chopped NO BONES
1 garlic clove, quartered
1 ½ tbs lime zest finely shredded /grated
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh fresh green shallots
1 cup coarsely chopped Red Capsicum
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs Mild Curry powder or 3 tbs of Red curry paste
1 ½ cups of bread crumbs
2 large eggs
Pinch of salt & pepper
5 (about 30g) green beans, thinly sliced
Peanut oil, or Sunflower oil to shallow-fry (not olive oil to much flavor in it)

Dipping sauce
60g (1/4 cup) white sugar
60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice
1 tbs fish sauce, extra
1/2 Lebanese cucumber, de-seededd, finely chopped
1 small fresh red birdseye chilli,de-seededd, thinly sliced (opintinoal0
Wedges lime extra, to garnish,

Now add fish, Green Onions/Eschollots, Red Capiscum, Mild Curry powder or Red curry paste, eggs, fish sauce, lime zest, garlic, salt & pepper, green beans all in the food processor and blitz until the fish mix is a fined paste and all green & red bits a are fine now add the bread crumbs until the paste balls (that is as the blades in the food processor spin the mixture starts to ball up and spin with the blades)

now roll into balls and I flatten them to about ½ inch thick (12mm) and roll then in bread crumbs (cover with the plain bread crumbs)
now shallow fry in hot oil. Drain on paper towel and serve as I do homemade Thai fishcakes (curried but not hot) with steamed Basmati rice, Asian Veggies, Vietnamese dipping sauce & wedges of Lime. very yummy. I would think a nice fruit dry white wine would match up well or a Ice cold Miller Chill, light lime beer please enjoy. Mick

P.S
Yes you can add chillies , I normally do but my wife asked for a chilli free meal. Plus you can add coarsely chopped fresh coriander but again my Wife hates fresh coriander so I left it out

I made homemade Thai fishcakes (curried but not hot) with steamed Basmati rice, Asian Veggies, Vietnamese dipping sauce & wedges of Lime. very yummy.
Last edited by Mountain Mick on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
kendoll

Re: Thai Fish Cakes

Post by kendoll »

You are on a roll!

This may sound like a strange questions but does this tasty very 'fishy'?

I'm not a fish fan but i usually enjoy the Thai fish cakes at most Thai restaurants however i have come across the odd ones that taste quite fishy.

Ken
Ken
Mountain Mick

Re: Thai Fish Cakes

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Ken

Mine don't, I think if you use fresh fish fillets that are not smelly (fish) you Thai Fish Cakes will be fine, plus the type of fish you use may change the smell, mine smell like fresh Thai Fisk Cakes, yummo and I had the left overs for Breaky on toast with my Sweet Chilli Sauce very nice. MM :P :P :wink: :lol: :D
kendoll wrote:You are on a roll!

This may sound like a strange questions but does this tasty very 'fishy'?

I'm not a fish fan but i usually enjoy the Thai fish cakes at most Thai restaurants however i have come across the odd ones that taste quite fishy.

Ken
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com