Schweinshaxe

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
bodgy

Re: Schweinshaxe

Post by bodgy »

And would any leftovers on bread be a genuine "knuckle sandwich"?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Livewire wrote:Chris

If I am reading / interpreting this correctly you would allow the charcoal to light and get up to searing coals with the lid open so that the Kamado shell does not conduct to much heat initially

Suppose I could light in chimmey (if I had one) and then follow the Dwell technique

Thanks for the great advice as you always provide

Glenn
Yep, light your kamado as you would to sear a steak, but don't shut the lid. Let the fire get rocking up to where it would be for a 400C steak, close the lid with the vents open for maybe two minutes (less for a Keg) to build up some heat, but not the full heat soak the ceramic normally has, put the food in and shut the vents down to the target temperature.

It's the heat of the charcoal that you use for the shock on the food, then the cool Kamado will take on the heat from the choked down fire and settle at your target temp.

I'll document my cook and post the Dwelling technique in the Kamado section.

And Golly, you can do a similar thing by stacking your heat beads in the smokenator and putting a Weber basket of hot charcoal in the other side. drop a couple of bits of charcoal into the Smokenator to start the beads, and start cooking. The kettle will start hot but when the charcoal burns out in the first hout the smokenator low and slow will take over....Maybe I shouldn't have given that tip away.....before the Kettle V Kamado comp....the Kettle Boy might be listening!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

urbangriller wrote:...Maybe I shouldn't have given that tip away.....before the Kettle V Kamado comp....the Kettle Boy might be listening! Cheers Chris
"Kettle Boy" :roll: - I can't workout who you would be referring to there Chris :lol:
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Livewire wrote:
urbangriller wrote:...Maybe I shouldn't have given that tip away.....before the Kettle V Kamado comp....the Kettle Boy might be listening! Cheers Chris
"Kettle Boy" :roll: - I can't workout who you would be referring to there Chris :lol:
Kettle Boy has been pretty quiet, maybe the new job has him a little snowed under :?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

bodgy wrote:
Livewire wrote:
Kettle Boy has been pretty quiet, maybe the new job has him a little snowed under :?
I'm sure he'll be around soon. He couldn't resist having a bite at that bit of bait. :D
Last edited by Gumb on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

talking kettle boy and the comp i think maybe.............hey when does the next long weekend after may day happen..??..

jeeze i don't know which of my toys to run with for this one, i might go with kettle boy 'cause my past couple of experiments with the ol' #5 were a PITB. so youes kamado riders watch out.........MYA HA ha ha ha ha ha cough cough splutter :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i think commitee might need to go into a huddle and slog out a progressive comp on this one,

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Bodgy

ImageImageImage
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Good work brother Bodgy!

If there is any leftover, let us know how the Knuckle Sandwich was! :lol:

Chris
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Bodgy I just love that little Primo of yours :D
Im finding it difficult to get Pork knuckles around here. I showed the Lovely your pic and she started speaking loudly in Deutsche ( Her native tongue)
So Ive been put on the mission :roll:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Smokey Mick wrote: So Ive been put on the mission :roll:
Smokey, is the mission to get knuckles, a Primo or both?

No knuckle sandwich this time Guru :cry:
magste

Schweinshaxe

Post by magste »

Do any of you preboil the knuckles before bbqing? I've heard that's the traditional german way??
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

magste wrote:Do any of you preboil the knuckles before bbqing? I've heard that's the traditional german way??
No Pre-Boiling!

What would the Germans know!

Chris
Lach72

Post by Lach72 »

urbangriller wrote:
magste wrote:Do any of you preboil the knuckles before bbqing? I've heard that's the traditional german way??
No Pre-Boiling!

Chris
Bump!

Bought a couple of these from Eurostyle at the stock road markets.

Could I brine them, then dry them out and use the method you described above, but in a kettle?

Get it quite hot then drop the temps back? What internal temp should I be looking for?
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

urbangriller wrote:
No Pre-Boiling!

Chris
Bump!

Boil Boil......must be on the wrong forum.......im suprised that language is allowed on here :)

Bought a couple of these from Eurostyle at the stock road markets.

Could I brine them, then dry them out and use the method you described above, but in a kettle?

Get it quite hot then drop the temps back? What internal temp should I be looking for?[/quote]

Lach, Knuckles shouldn't need brinning there should be so much fat in them (yes dear i am whatching my cholesterol :roll: ) they will stay moist the whole cook, last weekend i steamed mine meat up on foil balls in foil tray pepsi & water - double foil wrapped for 4 hrs then uncovered and crisped for an hour more meat was fall apart tender.

Didn't cook to temp cooked till the felt & looked right, hope that is of help.

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
dino veritas

Post by dino veritas »

On sale at Aldi, $6.99 / kg, including spice rub.