We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Hi everybody,

My name is Glen and i have just joined as "bbqmad" because thats exactly what i am. I often look at U.S. bbq sites and found this one by chance - and how lucky was i fantastic site guys.

I was begining to think i was the only 'low & slow" real Q nut in Oz and holy dooley theres all you wonderful people out there - great i'm not alone!

O.k a little bit about my self i live on the northern end (acreage) of the gold coast Qld and i started off thinking like most Aussies / Euroupeans that turning on a gas bottle and hitting a button was ' Q '. I dont think many of my freinds or family get it why i am so obsessed with the fire i really do think i have an addication i think i need help - oh shup up whinging and lite some coals lol.

My weapons of mass destruction are well known by most of you guys, firstly for the grilling quick steaks / chops / snags ect i have a Weber E320 second the ever popular Weber Kettle 22.5 inch and my favourite beast is a ' Bar b chef ' off set smoker (10 hour pulled pork shoulder yesterday + keg Heineken) i have had this about 12 mths now and in my and the wifes opinion it realy has taught me how to cook, i got 10 hours yesterday using the minion method from 4kg's of Heatbeads not bad eh.

Oh well i better sign off now before i start to bore you all keep up the good work everybody and i hope as well as learn from you guys i can help contribute to this site as well, i hope you'll welcome me to the forum.

all the best.

Glen - bbqmad
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Snab

Re: new member

Post by Snab »

Hey mate welcome to the forum - its great to have another USA low n slow fan amongst us! Sounds like youve got some nice kit, I've just got the UDS for my smoking needs
Turkeys were meant to be the dominant species on Earth, but God made 'em too delicious
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

G'day & Welcome Glen....I see you're going to fit in here REAL fine ol' son. Yeah, I would agree by using real fire, it does teach you many things and i reckon even though I've been using charcoal for over 10 yr, I'd only know less than 10% of others I read about....but I'm not in it to be the best, i'm in it to be better than the average snag burner :lol: not that theres anything wrong with burnt crispy snags :P
Hope to hear more from you Glen.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Thanks for the welcome boys, yeah snab the weber gear as we all know on here is 1st class kit.
I know theres probobly a lot better off set smokers out there but i'm realy enjoying my ol Bar b chef and i got it at the right price - thats always a bonus.

And Davo i'm sure i will fit in here just nice i mean i'm a bit mad love a laugh love a beer or 20 and more importantly i love friggin 'Q' its a match made in heaven whoohoo good company good food beer wine what more could you ask for! - now we've just got to egemecate the snag burners.
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yey,
Someone else on the Goldie.
Now Ive someone to share where we are getting the goods cuts of meat from :D
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Actually Glen, you might be only one here that has a sidebox smoker (were they the texas style smoker that BBQs Galore were selling about 2 yrs ago?) i know they did have a sidebox smoker but they were discontinued.
CommanderCody (Kevin) who lives in Bris-vegas, owns a massive Lang smoker ( its fixed on it's own trailer) and he does a lot of cooking on that as well as a few of use here have recently aquired a Traeger smoker grill which looks like a texas smoker but runs on pure wood pellets (hopefully mine will turn up mid next week....ggrrr bloody transport companies are friggin hopeless)
I do have an Afro- American friend who I worked with a couple of years ago in Sydney who bought one of those sidebox smokers and he loved cooking briskets very low & slow... I never got to taste the results :(

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Now Davo,

You should know better than that!

Welcome Glen, it's nice to have another Bar b chef owner on the forum, that makes two of us......I notice there are never any for sale on ebay....that means everyone who bought one loves it too much!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

A very warm welcome to you Glen

Chris is right, I haven't seen them on ebay and I was looking specifically for them. BBQ Galores doesn't sell them any more and they were just starting to gain popularity when they pulled them

Look after it and it will look after you.

Looking forward to your posts and photos.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Phil,

There was one of the BB Chef smokers on Ebay just early last month, I think it was you that posted the link....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

Finished in early Oct this year...althouth this is the very first I've ever seen of these 2nd hand.

I seen one in a BBQ Gal store 2 yrs ago and was rather tempted then but the Ministry of Finance said "NO WAY"!!

I have bought 3 Webers since then :lol: and a Traeger (when it actually turns up)

There could very well possibly be a WSM 18.5inch on ebay soon :?

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

correction, it was a chap called kegga from SA who posted that.....sorry my mistake :oops:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
kegga

Post by kegga »

Davo wrote:correction, it was a chap called kegga from SA who posted that.....sorry my mistake :oops:
Just felt my ears burning - I knew someone was talking about me :D

kegga
beer'n'q mmmmm
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

welcome glen,

goood on ya, me old.....

low and slow is alright by me....low and slow...is the way to be..(to be sung to the tune of "home grown"...by neil young)

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Davo wrote:Phil,

There was one of the BB Chef smokers on Ebay just early last month, I think it was you that posted the link....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

Finished in early Oct this year...althouth this is the very first I've ever seen of these 2nd hand.

I seen one in a BBQ Gal store 2 yrs ago and was rather tempted then but the Ministry of Finance said "NO WAY"!!

I have bought 3 Webers since then :lol: and a Traeger (when it actually turns up)

There could very well possibly be a WSM 18.5inch on ebay soon :?

Cheers

Davo
This one was post Traeger.
Wasn't allowed to buy anymore BBQs til hell freezes over or early next year depends on when she is in a good mood again.

Cheers

Capt
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Once again thanks everybody for the welcome, Hey Mick that sounds like a plan where to get the best meat from on the Goldie. i read one of your older posts where you got some excellent pork ribs complete with pics and you mentioned you had finaly educated your buthcer is that butcher a closely guarded secret or can you share his / there name / address or was this a one off lucky find as i'm having no luck with ribs.

We usualy buy our meat from superbutcher factory at yatala shop in oxenford & ashmore and i belive soon to be tweed not sure where but he mentioned it on his website see latest interview with andrew mcdonald.

It's hard to go past his quality on beef, pork & lamb - but same old story with the ribs tiny (i think some of these come of rabbits) skinned to bone and the last couple of times i have been there covered in there own sauce as true bbqers know thats a no no, if we want flavour we know how to create that ourselves.

Yeah Davo thats the very same bar b chef from barbeques galore i had been interested in them for a while after seeing the americans useing them and walked in to there springwood store one sat morning only to see one there for sale and nearly fell over, they were for sale for $640 i think as i wasn't that flush with money at the time i asked one of the blokes are these going to be for sale full time as a regular shop item and he said yes as far as i know.

so i saved and went back a few months later and was told the've been discontinued and the 2 they had were sold he phoned the Helensvale store for me they had 1 but it was sold so i thought that was the end of that.

Then one day i googled the name and a advert came up Bar b chef 4 sale Brisbane area $250 needless to say i raced up there and grabbed it the lady that had it for sale lived in a unit so not realy an appropiate bit of kit, the only thing she had done was season it heat it up and cook one meal - and with that price she gave me a 7kg bag of hearbeads a h'beads charcoal lighter 2 x genuine weber charcoal baskets and some other stuff bloody bargain i reackon and i have not regreted it.

Well the fact that a cook as good as chris has one nuff said good enough for you my friend then its good enough for me.

Yes Kevin low & slow the only way to go

thanks guys

Glen
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

No worries Glen
Those ribs Ive been buying are Spare ribs, So They are half with bones, petering out to grisle and then just meat (The spare rib chops you see in woollies)
So Im back to square one for now but am still buying them and cooking them up, They come out better then baby back ribs in some ways.
I'm still educating my butcher, and they (All brothers) are starting to ask me how to slow cook a few things, Or at least asking for extra advice on there previous knowledge.
It is Pluck and Moo meats at Christine Ave Burleigh waters and they have another shop (My shop) at Terranora.
I get my beef rib pieces at patterns Molindina at $5.99 kg
They also have super cheap aged cuts of whole fillet etc.
Also Fruit and vege, and seafood.
Right across the road from there is a spice and nut factory outlet, Cheap, Quality spices. Try the Sumak rubbed over beer can chicken :roll:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au