King Erik's #5 Imperial Kamado

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
King Erik the 14th

King Erik's #5 Imperial Kamado

Post by King Erik the 14th »

Great to now have something worthy to start my own thread, and now I've worked out how to post a picture.
You may have seen on a previous thread I scored this on ebay and picked it up on the weekend. The people I brought it from found it in the shed when they moved into their new house. They didn't know what it was and they didn't really care. Gave it a good clean today and now all I need is a new gasket - anyone suggest where's the best place to find one? I went to the local BBG and they said they could get me a gasket for a Big Green Egg for about $30 but it would take 2 weeks. (I've never liked the service there.) The internal fire bucket has a big crack in it but from what I've read (on the Naked Wizz website) says it doesnt really matter.

I'll add a few more photo's shortly.
I look forward to cranking this little baby up.
Erik XIV
Green Nigel

Re: King Erik's #5 Imperial Kamado

Post by Green Nigel »

King Erik the 14th wrote:Gave it a good clean today and now all I need is a new gasket - anyone suggest where's the best place to find one? I went to the local BBG and they said they could get me a gasket for a Big Green Egg for about $30 but it would take 2 weeks. (I've never liked the service there.)
If you don't mind shopping online you may want to purchase one of the newer nomex gaskets direct from the states...it would probably arrive in less than the two weeks quoted by your supplier for the old grey gasket.
Sorry but I can't remember the name of the company that some of the BGE forum members have bought thier gasket material from in 50' rolls (that's enough for two full sets of gaskets & far, far cheaper than the commercial sets) but if you do a search on the Big Green Egg forum for Nomax it will come up with the relevant threads.

Failing that there is always Amazon.com..!

You'll also need a can of 3M Super 77 adhesive to stick it down with, this stuff works a treat..!

Here's a link to an instructional video...it's a little bit corney but does contain all of the relevant details & information.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw47jHxI ... re=related
Regards
Green Nigel
"I do so like Big Green Eggs & Ham!" - Dr Seuss

ImageImage
Green Nigel

Post by Green Nigel »

Hi King Erik...just had a flash back in the memory chip...here's a link to the supplier.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#aramid-fabric-strips/=bbubhm
The relevant details are at the bottom of the page.
Regards
Green Nigel

ImageImage
King Erik the 14th

Post by King Erik the 14th »

The cookbook that came with the kamado...

Salvaged a few bits from the old sausage cremator ...

Out with the old ...

Might find some use for this, perhaps cut it down and use it as a nest for the kamado ...

Next day was given a 2 year old BBQG replacement ...

Still working on getting a seal, and a thermometer
Erik XIV
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Your Kinglyness,

you got a cook book with your evicted shed dweller..??.. damn, i should have asked for gardening plans for my garden ornament.

in relation to you gasket. maybe go to your local BBQ fire place place.....they should have gaskets there, 'cause people are always needing to replace them on there wood heaters

oh kingly person, mate don't forget to post photos of your virgin busting cook-up......please

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Green Nigel

Post by Green Nigel »

Commander Cody wrote:in relation to you gasket. maybe go to your local BBQ fire place place.....they should have gaskets there, 'cause people are always needing to replace them on there wood heaters
That's a good idea Kevin but King Erik just be mindful that whatever gasket material you use that it's safe to use near food, some of the wood heater gasket materials might not be very good for you if you ingest any of the fibres.
Regards
Green Nigel

ImageImage
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

good call GN..............fibres, yeah, nasty little things.'ey..........

kevin
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

They are always telling us to eat MORE fibres.... :shock:

Although the woofa suffered separation anxiety once when we left her home alone and she ripped up and ate a kingsize goose down doona.
She did little throw cushions for days after...
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Green Nigel

Post by Green Nigel »

Buccaneer wrote:They are always telling us to eat MORE fibres....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I suppose, similar to the recent discussion about "Oils aint oils" obviously "Fibres aint fibres", you've just got to know which ones taste best especially if you only eating them one by one..! :)
Regards
Green Nigel

ImageImage
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

All this talk about gaskets and fibres is starting to scare me away from Kamados....just when i was starting to get Kamado curious :shock:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
sosman

Post by sosman »

Davo wrote:All this talk about gaskets and fibres is starting to scare me away from Kamados....just when i was starting to get Kamado curious :shock:
Just consumables mate. The ones that typically come with them are made of felt. You can replace them with something a bit more hi tech.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

So what's wrong with the std felt gaskets? Don't they appear to last for very long...or do they leak like pretty bad?

How long do those gaskets supposed to last?

One thing about the Webers..they might leak a little but don't need gaskets :wink:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
sosman

Post by sosman »

Davo wrote:So what's wrong with the std felt gaskets? Don't they appear to last for very long...or do they leak like pretty bad?

How long do those gaskets supposed to last?

One thing about the Webers..they might leak a little but don't need gaskets :wink:
The felt is ok until you get burning gas blasting past it. That burns it and allows more hot gas through. Knowing what I know now, I would have been more careful, eg adjusted the bands when it was brand new to get even seating. Keep in mind these things can go to 350 C and beyond.
Green Nigel

Post by Green Nigel »

Davo wrote:How long do those gaskets supposed to last?
Not too sure on that one but what I have observed is that the 2nd gaskets lifespan is at the very least inversely proportional to the length of time that the first one lasted.
There's nothing quite like spending the afternoon replacing a gasket to help focus your mind during future cooks to ensure that you don't inadvertently fry the new one..! :)
Davo wrote:One thing about the Webers..they might leak a little but don't need gaskets
That's very true but they do tend to consume charcoal like it's going fashion..! :wink:
Regards
Green Nigel

ImageImage