Cedar Planked Fish

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Captain Cook

Cedar Planked Fish

Post by Captain Cook »

As promised - here is a recipe for Cedar planked salmon on the Weber Q series. This recipe can be adapted for most gas barbecues with a hood ( check the manufacturers instructions to see if you can barbecue on high heat with the lid down. You can also do this on a Weber Kettle with direct heat & lid down.

Cedar Planked Fish
This recipe produces a wonderful slightly sweet yet salty taste with a mild smokiness. It is truly a magnificent alternative way to cook fish. The best fish to use for this recipe has to be Atlantic Salmon, however, any firm fish fillets or cutlets will do.

500 g – 1 kg even thickness Salmon Fillets or Cutlets
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 litre cold water.
Dijon mustard

Cedar plank or Shingle about 350mm x 200mm x 10-1 mm thick.

Ensure that there is no paint, oil or other coatings on the cedar. It should be raw wood. If there is any doubt do not use it.
The cedar plank should be large enough to hold the fish without overlapping the fish or hanging over the side of the plan and small enough to fit inside the Q.
Clean the cedar plank with a stiff brush and rinse. Soak the Cedar plank in hot water for 2 hours You don’t need to keep the water hot, by starting with hot water the cedar absorbs the water quicker and ensures that it is completely soaked.
Mix the salt sugar and water into a brine solution, place the fish in it, cover and let soak in the fridge for 2 hours. Drain the fish, pat dry and air dry it for an hour if you can.
Preheat the Weber Q for 10 minutes on High, Drain the cedar plank and place on the Q grill with the lid down for about 10 minutes. The cedar should start to smoke slightly
. Place the fish skin side down on the cedar plank, brush with Dijon mustard and close the lid. Turn the Q down 2 strokes from high and cook for about 12- 18 minutes. The cooking time will depend upon the thickness of the fillets or cutlets. The fish should flake easily when tested with a fork. The fish should be opaque in the centre and not dry. Serve the fish direct from the plank.
The plank may be used a few times, however, ensure that it is washed properly between uses.

Recipe prepared by “The Gourmet Cabernet” alias “Captain Cook”
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Thanks for the recipe I've always wanted to try a "plank" BBQ.
What temp do you reckon equates to high about 350-400F? I would like to try it on my KK....
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Try about 475F. You will know its right if the plank starts to smoke from the edges after about 5-8 minutes.

Regards
Captain Cook
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Pardon my ignorance but where would I get a plank of cedar wood Bunnings???
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

paulr wrote:Pardon my ignorance but where would I get a plank of cedar wood Bunnings???

Most specialty timber yards will have some, I use cedar shingles that I have had laying around for years. Generally you can get an offcut or try buying a 2.4 metre length and cutting it to size. Cedar is used as a siding (weaterboard) on many kit homes so there is another place to look for offcuts.

Regards
Captain Cook
Captain Cook

Re: Cedar Planked Fish

Post by Captain Cook »

Bump for Beachbums
MrBrown

Post by MrBrown »

My local Bunnings doesn't stock it so I need to go to a timber yard.

I've heard say that the cedar isn't necessary in a Traeger (and I can't get it up to 475 anyway) so I'll try some tomorrow evening with the salty water soak.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

MrBrown wrote:My local Bunnings doesn't stock it so I need to go to a timber yard.

I've heard say that the cedar isn't necessary in a Traeger (and I can't get it up to 475 anyway) so I'll try some tomorrow evening with the salty water soak.
Different cook on the Traeger. This is designed as a high heat, quick cook, direct on a gasser or charcoal BBQ.

Cheers

Phil
MrBrown

Post by MrBrown »

Captain Cook wrote:
MrBrown wrote:My local Bunnings doesn't stock it so I need to go to a timber yard.

Different cook on the Traeger. This is designed as a high heat, quick cook, direct on a gasser or charcoal BBQ.

Cheers

Phil
Phil,
I still want it to be med rare though so I'd be trying for the highest heat on the hottest part of teh traeger. Do you think I'd get well done instead?

Ross
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

MrBrown wrote:
Captain Cook wrote:

Cheers

Phil
Phil,
I still want it to be med rare though so I'd be trying for the highest heat on the hottest part of teh traeger. Do you think I'd get well done instead?

Ross
You won't get the plank to smoke as you need direct heat. If you turn the chimney upside down and preheat on low first then high (build up the smoke), lift the lid a little only to keep the smoke in. Block half the chimney with foil.
I would cook for 9 minutes first and then check for doneness,

I haven't tried it on the traeger as I do it on the Q or Genesis with a plank.

Cheers
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Captain Cook wrote:Bump for Beachbums

Thanks Cap'n :D
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Captain Cook wrote:

Cheers

Phil
Now Boys, don't forget you can put a tray of charcoal under one end of the grill in a Traeger set to smoke!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
hjl

Post by hjl »

Tried this tonight on the baby q. Absolutely beautiful. Cooked it for my daughter that is home from uni for Easter. She says it is the best Salmon she has eaten. It is the best Salmon I have eaten. Cheers to Captain Cook.
Regards
hjl
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Thanks HJI,
Glad you all liked it. Cedar planked chicken fillets is also nice. Use Thigh pieces.

Captain