Stainless Steel BBQ - our research and info

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
BBQ-Dad

Stainless Steel BBQ - our research and info

Post by BBQ-Dad »

As posted in the new member section, we've just been through the process of buying a new BBQ. We'd decided on stainless steel to hopefully get some years out of it because, to date, the usual steel and even vitreous enamel ones haven't survived well in the salt air environment (we're on the Tweed Coast).

We found information on this forum useful, so want to give back and post up what we learnt in our research.

Obviously, 316 is better than 304 grade stainless steel, but, the price and options limited with our family budget. So, we've opted for 304.

Storage was a need, but also being able to move it around our deck, so we looked at trolley type and "outdoor kitchen" type.

The options narrowed quickly with the likes of Gasmate (both the platinum and professional series), Masport Ambassador, Bull, Bluetongue and Eurogrille BBQs in the mix.

We were looking for at least a 4 burner, and ended up with a 6 burner which as it turns out is probably what we needed anyway for the larger family and friend gatherings we often have.

What we learnt from on here and other places, is that the AGA approval number is the same for a lot of the BBQs. The Chinese manufacturer gets the approval and in the AGA approved products list the brand and model of each BBQ is listed under the same AGA approval number.

So, with that knowledge we soon found that a lot of the BBQs we were looking at were actually the same, albeit with substantially different prices.

So, the next dilemma was the "customer service' vs BBQ price issue. What if something goes wrong?

After much debate and research we decided to risk it and bought a Eurogrille 8 burner BBQ via eBay. At $1670 delivered it was considerably cheaper, and TBH, the communication around delivery was attrocious. However, speed of delivery (ordered Monday, delivered to us on Tweed Coast on Thursday... Yes. In the same week) and packaging was awesome.

Arriving basically assembled, it took longer to unpack and wash it all than it did to install the side shelves and rotisserie bracket.

Cooking heat was surprisingly awesome with a noticeable need for longer tongues when turning the steak.

Having now realised the BBQ is the same as the Gasmate professional, spare parts etc will not be an issue. The eBay seller, mytopia, also have a website, listed are spare parts. We actually bought a BBQ cover from them direct and the communication and delivery etc. was good. Cover was ordered on Monday too, but arrived via Australia Post on Friday.

I'm now researching stainless steel hotplates to increase the area of solid plate. Looks like topnotch are the go with stock and sizes to fit.

FWIW, the grills as supplied are 455mm deep (Front to Back), with one 300mm wide and the other 350mm wide.

The OEM supplied hot plates cast iron and seems low quality. It's 455mm deep and 300mm wide.

The available area is 460mm deep and 965mm wide)

I've already given the whole BBQ a coat of Hillmark Stainless Steel cleaner. It is awesome stuff (found out about on here, so thanks)

Now, just in closing, FWIW, we are just a typical Aussie family. No affiliation with mytopia or Eurogrille. This is a genuine first person unpaid information post to 'giveback' and hopefully assist others with their BBQ purchase.

PS: Webber BBQs at their price point feature to feature had no chance and we're eliminated early in our decision.
Last edited by BBQ-Dad on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Stainless Steel BBQ - our research and info

Post by Davo »

Great write up and thankyou for the contribution and this will help many new BBQers in the similar situation as you.

I think that the BBQ you bought is in a decent price point without going overboard, and as you've discovered many of the ones you researched are often the same. The reason for this is that the same or similar BBQs are sourced from the same BBQ factories in China and are made under licence or directions from the importer. Similar BBQ, different badge even those that are endorsed by famous TV Chefs....doesn't mean they are the best, it's just that they've an endorsement for that type...those chefs can cook a meal on a coke can stove if they were asked to.
The AGA certification is that they've met with the Australian Gas criteria so you shouldn't have any issues there hopefully. Many other countries have different fittings, Gas mixtures like the USA which use lots of Butane etc, many countries have different regulator and connections and different gas cylinders than we have.
Speaking of Gas cylinders, if you haven't already done so and you're not running on Natural Gas which I doubt because it seems Nat Gas isn't used in many households on the Goldie, but a 2nd cylinder coz I think you'll find with all those burners, your BBQ might drink Gas faster than a V8 Supercar....I had a 6 burner BBQ once that was like that lol.

I'll have to adjust my answer to your into post because I hadn't read these ones first and I thought that you'd not already chosen a BBQ.

Cheers and again welcome to the forum.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Cheers David, yeah, I just replied to your other post confirming we had already purchased a BBQ.

I'd strongly recommend anyone researching BBQs gets the latest product list from the AGA website, then do a search on it (they are PDF document format) for the brand's, models and model numbers of the BBQs being considered.

As you say Davo, the same BBQ, from the one or two manufacturers is rebadged under various brands and models. No doubt the celebrity endorsement is reimbursed in the increased sale price.

I do think BBQ Buyers need to make an informed but conscious decision regarding customer service and after sales parts. Knowing the same BBQ using the market under different brands does make it easier to track down parts later on if needed.

I should also point out Gray's online as another source to check. There was a full outdoor kitchen, gasmate professional brand / model with bar fridge, sink, extra storage cupboards ... All brand new. It went for just on $3,800 (including Gray's buyers premium) last week, so roughly 50% of RRP.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Sounds like you're enjoyed one part of BBQing which is researching and buying your Q.

People want different things when they cook outdoors which is why there are so many different type of BBQ out there today.

BTW, bug style BBQs like the Weber Q and Ziggy are the thing to have at the moment. Before that it was hooded with the wok attachment as people migrated from the flat plate gassers. There a trend toward electric BBQs with the large number of people living in apartments.

Next step is having fun cooking and trying out the accessories. eg the roti thread.

Sounds like you like to experiment and cook more than snags, chops and steak Try cooking some ribs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHnP39QtIOg

Get some smoker boxes so you can add smoke to your food.

Get some thermometers eg dual probe so you can properly measure the meat and grill temps.

Since your close to the ocean virtually no matter what metal BBQ you buy will rust. It may sound counter intuitive, but a too clean BBQ is not the best thing. A bit of grease adds a protective layer from the salt air. A bbq cover makes a big difference protecting yoru Q from rust and the weather.

Post some pictures of your BBQ and cooks.
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

12x7 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 pm
Sounds like you're enjoyed one part of BBQing which is researching and buying your Q.

If by Q you mean BBQ, then yes.

If you mean a Weber Q, then no. We didn't get a Weber, we bought a Eurogrille (Gasmate Professional, Masport Ambassador, Bull, Bluetongue) 6 burner stainless steel.

They call it an 8 burner since it has side wok burner and rotisserie infrared burner too.

For reference it's this one:

https://www.mytopia.com.au/stainless-st ... urner-bbq/
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Additional notes re use of our Eurogrille 8 burner BBQ so far:

Being stainless the hood (as expected) and surrounding metal, especially the front flat shelf thing across the front of the cooking area, does get very hot. But, the hood handle stays cool to touch and there is no heat in the cupboards or draws (or at the control knobs).

We noticed the rotisserie motor was quite hot when we did "the" roast.

I've found the extra shelf on the right, so side wok burner lid down plus the shelf, very handy and, being able to put my beer in to the top right corner of the shelf it doesn't get any heat from the BBQ.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

BBQ-Dad wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:50 am
For reference it's this one:

https://www.mytopia.com.au/stainless-st ... urner-bbq/
Q is an abbreviation for BBQ.

You will have lots of fun with that Q.

eg Surf and turf. Cook some steaks on the grill and stir fry the seafood on the wok.
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Information update:

The EuroGrille 8 burner comes with a cast hotplate. It's ok. But long term I'm not sure how it would go. It feels very pourous, sort of roughish surface. Does have a total flat side and a raised rib side. It's also only 300mm wide, so a lot of open grill space in comparison.

As per information on here and other interwebs sources, we've decided to get stainless steel plates.ftom Topnotch. We getting two 315mm hotplates and one 315mm grill. Ordered last night via eBay as the pricing was better than going direct.

FWIW, Topnotch will do custom sizes, but we opted for their standard plates n grill. We have 960, (965mm at a pinch) width so the 3x 315mm will give us approx. 5mm expansion and movement between plates n grill.

When we looked at all the other similar BBQ'S in this style. All had the same or very similar grill to hotplate ratio, roughly 2/3 grill 1/3 hotplate. All had, have, the cast iron hotplate too, so an upgrade to stainless steel was always in the mix for us.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

BBQ-Dad wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:45 am Information update:

The EuroGrille 8 burner comes with a cast hotplate. It's ok. But long term I'm not sure how it would go. It feels very pourous, sort of roughish surface. Does have a total flat side and a raised rib side. It's also only 300mm wide, so a lot of open grill space in comparison.

As per information on here and other interwebs sources, we've decided to get stainless steel plates.ftom Topnotch. We getting two 315mm hotplates and one 315mm grill. Ordered last night via eBay as the pricing was better than going direct.

FWIW, Topnotch will do custom sizes, but we opted for their standard plates n grill. We have 960, (965mm at a pinch) width so the 3x 315mm will give us approx. 5mm expansion and movement between plates n grill.

When we looked at all the other similar BBQ'S in this style. All had the same or very similar grill to hotplate ratio, roughly 2/3 grill 1/3 hotplate. All had, have, the cast iron hotplate too, so an upgrade to stainless steel was always in the mix for us.
Try out the cast iron plate. The cast iron needs to be seasoned. They're to be infused with juices as you cook to add flavour back to your cook.

If you go all stainless steel if you might find all you've done is moved your gas/electric stove to cook outside when it comes to flavour.

There's a reason for example why BBQ manufacturers upgrade their stainless steel grills to case iron on their accessories list.
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

12x7 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:40 pm
BBQ-Dad wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:45 am Information update:

Try out the cast iron plate. The cast iron needs to be seasoned. They're to be infused with juices as you cook to add flavour back to your cook.

If you go all stainless steel if you might find all you've done is moved your gas/electric stove to cook outside when it comes to flavour.

There's a reason for example why BBQ manufacturers upgrade their stainless steel grills to case iron on their accessories list.
TBH, I think the 'cast iron' hotplate is about keeping costs down for the OEM product and RRP.

IMO, it's a bit like the OEM 'standard tyres' on a new car, or the shock absorbers / suspension, stereo etc.

Plenty of info on the interwebs suggesting stainless steel hotplates provide better flavour, and a better cooking surface, plus are my hygienic. I figure there is a reason commercial kitchens use stainless steel cooking surfaces on both hotplates and gills.
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

OK, here goes, hopefully you can all see these pictures ... :?:

I figure words only go so far, pictures much better, hey?

So, here's a few shots of our new BBQ, the first one is it 'set up' and ready for use with our pizza 'firebox'

This next one is the side storage / panty cupboard. As you can see, I have excess cleaning stuff in there, and excess fab absorb stuff for the drip tray. In the tupperware container on the shelf are some old baskets we used on our old BBQ to lift the roasting trays up to stop the bottom of the meat burning, but, we may not use them now as we have the rotisserie for roasts. And, yes that blue rag is for wiping the BBQ down after use with the hillmark cleaner. That open spare space is where the little 'corona bucket' is stored (you can see it on the ground ready for use in the top pic), it's my BBQ 'garbage bin'.

This is the gas bottle stored cupboard. We get midgies / sandflies which smash my angles when cooking, so I have an outdoor auto spray that I turn on when I turn on the gas bottle, it's the white thing next to the gas bottle slide out. It goes on the ground and is placed depending on prevailing winds. I'll be putting the spare grills and hotplate in that cupboard too (along the left side against the internal wall) once the new Topnotch ones arrive next week.

Next pic is my sneaky hiding place for the rotisserie bar .. yep, inside the front edge of the trip tray area. Out of the way, but easily accessed when needed

Now a few pic's of the draws. Top one has the cooking utensils, middle one has the rotisserie gear, and the bottom the in use cleaning gear.

MIDDLE

BOTTOM

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

No doubt you got a great buy there BBQ DAD, a very nice looking unit all those compartments are very handy, I could certainly fill 'em with all my stuff...now what I'll be interested in is: not only the results you get from the new BBQ, granted I know it will take some time to become accustomed to but as you get to use it over this season, you'll soon find some pros & cons and also the amount of hours or BBQs you'll get out of that 9kg cylinder.
As I always advise others who buy these larger BBQs is to get a spare cyclinder and have it full and on standby for quick change-over when the other runs out coz they have a habit of just going out suddenly when you're in the middle of a cook-up :lol: then when you change over, make a note to get that one filled up asap and put aside as the next spare. As I pointed out, those big multi-burner BBQs can drink gas faster than a V8 Supercar....

Best of all BBQ Dad....have fun with it...it's designed to do many things...a review in a couple of weeks/Months would be great.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Davo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:21 pm
... also the amount of hours or BBQs you'll get out of that 9kg cylinder.

As I always advise others who buy these larger BBQs is to get a spare cyclinder and have it full and on standby for quick change-over when the other runs out coz they have a habit of just going out suddenly when you're in the middle of a cook-up :lol: then when you change over, make a note to get that one filled up asap and put aside as the next spare. As I pointed out, those big multi-burner BBQs can drink gas faster than a V8 Supercar....
Gas can run out at anytime even with a smaller Weber style BBQ, so, yes, 100% agree having a second bottle is handy and have had for many years.

On average, I'd swap a bottle once a summer, then maybe once in the rest of the year.

So far, this Eurogrille BBQ is running on one or two burners on low once heated up. For the last two nights using the pizza firebox, it takes the four burners set on high 5-7 mins to have it at full, top of temp gauge hot, we then use it with the two burners on low keeping the heat topped up. Cook a 3 or 4 pizzas and all done in under half-hour.

When we did the rotisserie roast, it took just on 5mins, full 6 burners on high to heat the temp up to the 250*, then only needed the two outside burners on low to keep it there, with the rear infrared burner on too, but after the fire, the infrared was turned off and remains meat cooked with only the two outside burners on low.

Our new Topnotch hotplates and grill arrived yesterday so will be interesting to.see the heat needed to get those hotplates sizzling for a "Heston Method" steak cook.

I'll post a separate thread about the Topnotch BBQ hotplates n grill, but, FWIW, the speed of delivery and quality is awesome. Ordered via eBay on Tuesday, shipping to us in Northen NSW via Fastway Couriers and in our hands by 10.30am yesterday (Thursday). Well packaged and look awesome, high quality. I'm very excited to use them.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

BBQ-Dad wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 am
When we did the rotisserie roast, it took just on 5mins, full 6 burners on high to heat the temp up to the 250*, then only needed the two outside burners on low to keep it there, with the rear infrared burner on too, but after the fire, the infrared was turned off and remains meat cooked with only the two outside burners on low.
Sounds like you got this sorted. The set-up you're using is like the video I posted for you earlier :)

Try using a smoking box. Here's a different one from BBQ Galore for $15.

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/zieg ... lsrc=aw.ds
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

12x7 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:19 pm
BBQ-Dad wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 am
Sounds like you got this sorted. The set-up you're using is like the video I posted for you earlier :)

Try using a smoking box. Here's a different one from BBQ Galore for $15.

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/zieg ... lsrc=aw.ds
Cheers mate.