G'day from the Tweed Coast, Northern NSW

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
BBQ-Dad

G'day from the Tweed Coast, Northern NSW

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Joined to say thanks for information on here in my recent quest for a new BBQ.

I'm a typical Aussie family bloke that cooks basic BBQ like a good steak done using the "Heston Method", roasts (lamb n pork) and off course snags n rissoles. We have a pizza firebox too and have the occasional bacon n eggs breakfast cook up too.

We're on the "Tweed Coast" in Northern NSW so salt air, corrosion and BBQ deterioration is an ongoing issue. So, we've just invested in a stainless steel BBQ. I'll post up our research etc in the gases section of the forum.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: G'day from the Tweed Coast, Northern NSW

Post by Davo »

Hi & Welcome BBQ Dad,

Yes living on the coast will have issues with any metals, even stainless steel if it's not of good quality so best to buy the best quality SS you can afford.
I see buying a bbq is not much different than buying a motorcycle these days, so much choice around and unless there's someone in the store demonstrating, it's hard to get a Test drive.
There's just so much choice and so much difference in the quality of design and Materials.

Most BBQs in the $1,000 plus bracket and pretty good these days, they had to be...but I suggest treat it like an investment to family gatherings and don't buy just on price alone.

Probably the closest to you might be: Coastline Barbeques and Heating Tweed Heads South
32 Greenway Drive Shop 1 Tweed Heads South
NSW 2486

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Hey Davo, mate, we already bought one.

Have posted in the gas thread about our purchase decision.

I did go into Coastline to check out Weber BBQs, with less storage, smaller physical cooking area and with same inclusions, the Weber were not in the running for us.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Welcome BBQ dad, congrats on your purchase and yes a Weber BBQ 6 burner with all the accesoiries would set you back around the 6K ... Thats a lot of dollars for a BBQ... I have no experience with that brand but I expect it will more than suit your purposes..
Welcome to the forum!

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

paulr wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:18 pm Welcome BBQ dad, congrats on your purchase and yes a Weber BBQ 6 burner with all the accesoiries would set you back around the 6K ... Thats a lot of dollars for a BBQ... I have no experience with that brand but I expect it will more than suit your purposes..
Welcome to the forum!

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
Cheers Paul.

Although Weber 6 burner with same set up would be $6k as you say, the Gasmate Platinum outdoor kitchen setup using that league. For that you get a bar fridge and full outdoor kitchen with sink etc.

As I posted in the other thread, it's a risk vs benefit with price vs brand etc. We couldn't justify the $$$ and took the risk with an 'eBay special'. So far, all good.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

A 6 burner Weber would be delivered & assembled on your premises by a Weber Technician and would ensure everything is working, help you to put the BBQ in place .....you also get a 10 year warranty and the best service you'll ever experience....if something goes wrong, a Service guy will come out and sort it....you won't get that online :mrgreen:

Cheers
Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Davo wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 pm A 6 burner Weber would be delivered & assembled on your premises by a Weber Technician and would ensure everything is working, help you to put the BBQ in place .....you also get a 10 year warranty and the best service you'll ever experience....if something goes wrong, a Service guy will come out and sort it....you won't get that online :mrgreen:

Cheers
Davo
100% agree that eBay stores don't offer that style of 'service'.

As per my other post / semi review, the Eurogrille was fairly well 'pre-assembled'

At just on $1,670 delivered to our house, we figure we can buy 4 of them before 'catching up' to the Weber pricing, and yet have WAY more functionality, storage and mobility.

I gather "Weber" is THE BBQ to have on this forum.

Some of us see better value for money elsewhere.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hehehehe.....just geeing you up a bit BBQ Dad :lol: But when this forum began over 10 yrs ago, there wasn't really much around that was much good except the Weber Brand....it's a different story nowadays as even the Chinese manufacturers had to really step up their game, that;s why you see pretty good stuff in BBQs Galore and even in Bunnings today. Many new members came here and they almost all started on a Weber of some sort. Many of them are gone now, off to other forums or to Facebook, Myself, Titch and Paulr are pretty much the originals since the beginning...we're trying to build this forum back up and keeping it going.

That's pretty good value if it was mostly assembled though, I had the task once on putting together a 6 burner Masport BBQ which was in a flatpack and a huge box containing the BBQ head.....it was a real bastard to do on your own and my wife wasn't strong enough to help with the lifting but she did a pretty good job....with lots of swear words (she toddled off inside the house when that began lol)

Anyway I got it going and it got really really hot....but because i was so used to the way I cooked on a Weber Q, I began to hate the Masport after a while because the flame tamers which the V channels were inverted to cover the burners had a design which had a curve that ensured the fats curled up inside the flame tamers underneath and the bloody fats ignited giving me a fat fire a few times. The damn thing went through Gas like nothing else too so I suggest perhaps to keep a 2nd cylinder aside always topped up coz it'll always run out halfway through a cook-up....Murphy's Law relies on it.

So I sold it to a mate and I went back to weber and am a happy chappy....

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Oh, yeah, been there done the flat pack BBW construction (it's not assembly IMO, it's a full on construction process for some) several times.

And, yes, the language starts very early, often in reading the instructions!

We had one, from Bunnings, about 10 years ago, put it together, first roast and it melted all the control knobs mid cook. Dangerous design. I loaded it into my ute and took it back to Bunnings, they swapped it for the next model up, off the floor (fully assembled) and gave me a voucher for a 9kg (I'm old school) swap n go bottle refill.

I noticed Bunnings stop selling that model soon after. Maybe a new model was already on its way, not sure, but it was an accident waiting to happen.

Ever since, I've been wary of the venting system from the firebox.

On that note, the Eurogrille is good. Being stainless the hood and surrounding metal, especially the front flat shelf thing across the front of the cooking area, does get very hot. But, the hood handle stays cool to touch and there is no heat in the cupboards or draws (or at the control knobs).
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah BBQ DAD, those old Matadors from Bunnings back a decade ago weren't great, most didn't last more than 5 seasons if that.
But BBQs have come along way and they had to, there's a lot of competition out there and generally after having to chuck a cheapie after a few years to the roadside collection, people tend to buy a better one as their bank account grows. Back in the mid 90's I bought an Rinnai open grill BBQ with 50/50 hotplate and got some good meals off that, it was a pretty good barbie for the price and get this....I bought it from BigW. I liked it so much my Dad bought the same model and while mine is long gone gave it away to a neighbour, my Dad's Rinnai is still at his place, still in good nick but Dad has now been long gone.

I went through and had a look at those Eurogrills and they look to be pretty good, I was interested in reading the reviews although that can sometimes be misleading if the company pick n choose which reviews stay up there and which ones deleted.....but I say that I'd have a lot of confidence from what I've seen so-far. Looking forward to see some pics of it cooking and the results you get from it but don't be in a rush, it takes time to get used to a new cooker.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Couldn't agree more about online reviews. Can definitely get suss at times in both glowing awesome reviews and the super negative too. I looked at the ones on eBay and productreview.com.au more so than their own website. Whirlpool.net.au had done good info too, as well.ad on here.

Funny you say that about your dad's BBQ. We bought a mate a Bunnings special cheapie as a 'divorce settlement' present (he didn't get the bbq in the property settlement) and it's still going fine after nearly 8 years. He does live 35km from the Ocean so no sea air issues.