Weber Q with beads

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Burnsy

Weber Q with beads

Post by Burnsy »

Hi all, wondering if anyone has played around with using beads in their Weber q of any size for a slow gas free cook? I see there is a Weber Char Q but it has a top vent and doesn’t have gas. Thinking of making some baskets to put beads in, firing them up with the gas then turning the gas off.
the dane

Re: Weber Q with beads

Post by the dane »

Why not just buy a 2nd hand kettle

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

titch

Post by titch »

Be a buggar to clean out, like said, kettles are cheap , grab one in winter of Gumtree
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I highly recomment a Weber Jumbo Joe or Go Anywhere charcoal bbq...leave the gas Q for how it was intended.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Burnsy

Post by Burnsy »

I will grab a kettle next time I find one but I have 2 Weber Q’s a family Q for home and a baby Q for camping and was thinking why not. I will do some experimenting. As for making a ness I figure bead ash May ven help clean it.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

The problem you'll have using the gas Q with beads are height and ventilation.
The char Q doesn't have the gas burner taking up a lot of the internal space under the grill where you'll want to put the beads. If you want to do some slow cooks, I'll take it you mean long/low & slow, you'll need enough room to have enough beads to keep the cook going for long enough, ie the snake method, I don't think there will be enough room for that.
The second problem being ventilation. There might not be enough ventilation from underneath to feed oxygen to the fire and there definitely isn't any up top, like the vent in the char Q. This will result in either a smokey (white creosote producing, bitterness inducing smoke) fire, or you will snuff out the fire altogether due to the lack of oxygen flow.
But hey, it's your bbq, you might stumble across the greatest taste sensation ever.
All the best,
Steve
the dane

Post by the dane »

Heatbeads on a weber QImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk