Placing pizza on stone ?

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Gurilla

Placing pizza on stone ?

Post by Gurilla »

Hello everyone

I’ve been cooking some pizzas on the q using a stone they are amazing using my own dough...

I am just struggling to put the raw pizza on the stone ? I been making them on baking paper and I put cornflour and it still sticks a little and I can’t just slide it out as I see everyone says to do?

I’ve put lots of corn flour it has helped but then the base are covered in flour After cooked ?

I dusted the stone and just put the pizza straight on top it worked but I put to much and it is covered In flour..

But anyways what is the easiest way to put the raw pizza from a flat surface on to the bbq stone ? I have a large pizza spatular but when I try to get under the raw pizza it just grabs and I can’t really get under it properly ? I can’t lift it and place as I destroy the pizza... it was easier with the baking paper as I lift the whole paper it keeps it in tact , but again as I said the baking paper sticks to the pizza when I try to remove the paper :/

So any help and tips would be much appreciated !
Black Q 3200
Gurilla

Re: Placing pizza on stone ?

Post by Gurilla »

My creation restraunt quality
Black Q 3200
excited-newbie

Post by excited-newbie »

hi gurilla
I have seen a post I think it was but not sure if it will work cause have not tried it but try sprinkling semolina I think that's how u spell it
cant remember which forum I was reading as I am a member of a few where I saw it maybe u could try that.

weber sell a pizza tray for sitting on a stone $11.95 approx. you can also serve on the same tray

en
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

One of the purposes for a pizza stone due to it's pourous nature is to absorb the moisture and take it away from the dough so that the dough can form a crust so I've always wondered why a metal plate would work properly.
I must admint i don't make my own dough these days and just buy the lebanese type pizza bases and use baking paper for the first 5 minutes then slide it out....but on fresh dough....sprinking corn flour or semilena on the peel as well as the stone should do it....the stone has to be real hot too so it needs a good 30 minutes plus to get to temp
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

Davo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 am One of the purposes for a pizza stone due to it's pourous nature is to absorb the moisture and take it away from the dough so that the dough can form a crust so I've always wondered why a metal plate would work properly.
I must admint i don't make my own dough these days and just buy the lebanese type pizza bases and use baking paper for the first 5 minutes then slide it out....but on fresh dough....sprinking corn flour or semilena on the peel as well as the stone should do it....the stone has to be real hot too so it needs a good 30 minutes plus to get to temp

Yeah I’ve done exactly what you have mentioned letting the q heat up on high for 40mins+

The sticking isn’t as bad I think I just need to get the balance right ?

The main concern is just getting the raw pizza dough on to the bbq with out ruining the shape and pizza

Also with the tray I am thinking the same thing as it defeats the purpose of having a stone ? Yes it may hold the heat the stone but isn’t absorbing the moisture etc from the dough ?

Cheers fella for the replies hopefully others comment
Black Q 3200
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Hello Gurilla,

I have owned my Weber Family Q since 2012 and in the “early days” I experimented with a number of different ways to prepare and cook pizzas. This did include putting semolina on the pizza stone; dusting the rolled out pizza base with semolina; using baking paper; using the Weber pizza tray and stone; using the Weber stone without baking paper; using bread flour and yeast for the base; using baking flour and yeast for the base; using a flour and Greek yogurt base; and many other things. Finally I settled on a procedure which makes great pizzas every time. Another three tasty pizzas were made last night for my family and a family friend; no photographs, but in the early days I did take photos and uploaded them to this site.

I had been told the purpose of the stone is to take the moisture out of the dough base and ensure a crispy base. However, I could not understand why then did Weber suggest the pizza is cooked on the metal tray. I spoke with Weber about this and their reply was that the stone takes the moisture out of the air during the cooking process in order to cook the base in a dry environment. I am not an expert, but I cannot understand Weber’s reasoning.

The following is the method which I have used for some time now.

1) I use Lauke Pizza and Focaccia Mix for the base. Woolworths has stopped stocking this product here (in South Australia) and Coles does not stock it. Foodland and IGA stores stock it. I follow the mixing instructions on the package, kneading by hand, but I have altered the “resting times”. I leave the dough to rise for 30 minutes when covered with a bowl, instead of ten minutes. I leave the dough to rise when wrapped in plastic wrap for at least one hour, in a warm place, instead of ten minutes. The “Mix” will make four pizzas. http://www.laucke.com.au/Catalog/specia ... caccia-Mix

2) I roll the dough, out onto a “thick” Teflon rectangular sheet, one sheet per pizza. The “thick” sheets I purchased from an eBay seller. The “thick” sheets are necessary; do not use the “thin” sheets which are sold in stores and supermarkets. (I actually use the same “thick” sheets for cooking sausages on the Weber, too, with no added oil of fat). As per the “Mix” instructions I dock the pizza base with a fork. This is the eBay supplier: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BBQ-Grill-Ma ... 1864861253?

3) I then put the pizza sauce on the base, cheese, toppings, etc. and then a topping of cheese. I then place the Teflon sheet with the pizza on it, on a metal pizza tray in order to give it “support” and then into the fridge.

4) I set up the Weber Family Q for indirect cooking. That is a sheet of aluminium foil on the grill bars, being the same size as the Weber trivet, or in place of the aluminium foil, lately I have been using Weber aluminium convention trays. I then place the trivet on the foil, but raised up slightly with four small empty tuna fish cans. Raising the trivet will place the pizza stone in the “hottest” part of the oven. I have found that the secret to a great pizza is cooking it at the hottest temperature possible but not too hot as to burn the base or toppings. The stone is then placed on the trivet. As the Teflon sheets are rectangular, I have found a rectangular stone is better than the Weber circular stones. I use the Gasmate rectangular stone. https://www.harveynorman.com.au/gasmate ... stone.html

5) I preheat the Weber Family Q as per the instruction book which came with the Weber pizza stone and metal tray. This is 20 minutes with the outer burner of high and the inner burner on low.

6) Place the Teflon sheet with the pizza on it, on the stone. Cook for five minutes if it is a “less topping” pizza, for example a Margarita, or six minutes if it is a supreme or meat lovers. Check the underside of the base and slide out the Teflon sheet.

7) Cook for approximately seven minutes for a Margarita or 10 minutes for a supreme or meat lovers. If the base and toppings are cooked, remove the pizza from the stone with a large pizza slide. In winter if the ambient temperature is cool and or a slight breeze is blowing the cooking times will need to be increased slightly.

If cooking additional pizzas turn the outer burner down two notches from high and keep the inner burner on low. As per Weber's instructions.

Good luck with your pizza cooking!

Regards, Geoff
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

I apologise for the long-winded reply to your original question Gurilla. But I really enjoy cooking pizzas on my Weber Q! And I love my Weber Family Q. :)
Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

mymonaro wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:47 pm I apologise for the long-winded reply to your original question Gurilla. But I really enjoy cooking pizzas on my Weber Q! And I love my Weber Family Q. :)
All good mate good reply appreciate it !

I’m actually doing pretty much the same as you said I use that Lauke mix! I’m also doing the 3 can method with foil underneath 3 cans and stone on top pizza are cooking perfect

But it has to be the Teflon papers I need! Saying this I have one as home I use for marinated stuff on the Weber Q didn’t realize this was the Teflon sheets people were talking about ? For some reason I thought it was baking paper haha?

I’ve had my q for 3 years now where I’ve done normal bbqing and steaks as it cooks the perfect steak just recently be been experimenting “los & slow, smoking, pizzas”

I have a 38cm stone it’s pretty much perfect size for the 3200 was $20 came with a pizza spatular and cutter

As for heating I put it on high for 30-45 Mins and it’s cooking the pizzas perfect within 6-10mins

Also do you use flour or anything on the Teflon sheet ? Or it just has the flour on it from when rolling the dough out on a table ?

Cheers
Black Q 3200
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Gurilla wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:35 pm
Also do you use flour or anything on the Teflon sheet ? Or it just has the flour on it from when rolling the dough out on a table ?

Cheers
Good to see another Lauke convert. It does not work out "cheap", but for my family, friends and me, I am convinced the results are worth it.

Before placing the dough on the teflon sheet I place a little flour on the sheet and wipe it across the surface with my hand.

When you said cooking on high, is that preheating for 30 to 45 minutes with both burners on high and then you put your pizza in without any adjustment to the burners?

You did not mention a trivet, I assume you are using one underneath the stone.

Geoff
Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

mymonaro wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Good to see another Lauke convert. It does not work out "cheap", but for my family, friends and me, I am convinced the results are worth it.

Before placing the dough on the teflon sheet I place a little flour on the sheet and wipe it across the surface with my hand.

When you said cooking on high, is that preheating for 30 to 45 minutes with both burners on high and then you put your pizza in without any adjustment to the burners?

You did not mention a trivet, I assume you are using one underneath the stone.

Geoff

Do you just use plain flour ?

I leave it on high for preheat and in the cook as I see on many forums and stuff I looked up it wants to be as hot as possible like a real pizza oven

And because the height of the stone it cooks evenly

No trivet I have one, but I just use foil cut same dimension as the stone, place that on top of grills put 3 spaghetti cans “Norman size cans “ and stone on top

It’s really high as in the thermometer of the hood is almost touching the stone but it seems to work perfectly this is my first time cooking pizza on the q and from research this is the go and it works so I don’t think I’ll adjust anything only trying to use Teflon sheets
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Gurilla wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 pm
Do you just use plain flour ?
Thanks for the answers Gurilla.

Yes, I use plain flour.
SitDown

Post by SitDown »

For my pizza's, I do the flour, water, oil, salt & yeast, let it do its thing. I make the pizza's the next day or following day.
The only flour that I use is if the original mixture was not right & needs added flour so the base can be stretched out with my hands & fingers to fit the size of my stone. I do not like using flour as a non stick for the stone & I do not use a rolling pin either... too bloody messy for my liking
So the dough is stretched by hand & fingers on baking paper to the size of the stone
Once the stone has come up to temp, around 25mins in my baby Q, I place the pizza which is sitting on baking paper directly on the stone, let it cook for a while (till the base has dried off a bit) then slide the pizza off the baking paper, then let it cook off till ready
Personally, I like a very thin base that crisps up & with a almost generous topping, when cut to serving size for eating, the base should be strong enough so the weight of the topping dose not break the base or bend it too much (so the topping slides off)
Baby Q + Rotisserie
GA + Rotisserie
WSM 14
AntinOz

Post by AntinOz »

Not a Weber Q but I use a similar approach with the baking paper. Normally about two minutes is all that is needed and then you can slip it out from under the pizza. If I am doing a low moisture content dough and hotter heat (300+C ish) the paper has to come out in the first minute or so or it turns to a crisp!
Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

Hmm

How does the pizza not stick to the baking paper ?

Mine doesn’t stick lots just in places then then it rips and when I’m trying to get the paper off I have the q open letting to much heat out as it takes to long
Black Q 3200
AntinOz

Post by AntinOz »

I find that, after a minute or two the base has cooked enough and is not sticky. At lower temps it can be as much as five minutes. My wife seems to be able to slip the paper out without any assistance, mere mortals like me tend to lift it a little with the peel and the paper slides right out. This is on an Akorn Kamado, and I lose about 15 degrees at most when I do it quickly... back to temp by the time I walk inside and look at the thermometer receiver.