Cooking with aluminium

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Applegarth

Cooking with aluminium

Post by Applegarth »

I mostly cook on the Weber grill and breakfast plate or with black iron griddle
Sometimes I do a pre marinated roast in a pan but often the marinade burns in the pan and is difficult to clean
It would be sensible to cook these marinated roasts in the aluminium pan they come in but my wife is concerned that aluminium in food can contribute to Alzheimers or other mental problems
Is there any research available proving aluminium is safe ?
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: Cooking with aluminium

Post by Lovey »

G'day Applegarth,
I think that if you did a search that you'd find there's probably as much opinion for it as against it, it would depend on who was paying for the research.
All the best,
Steve
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

I've seen aluminium foil dissolved by acidic marinades, if you don't mind eating aluminium in your food go for it.
Applegarth

Post by Applegarth »

Thanks for the replies
I'll stick to cooking with black iron
Captain

Post by Captain »

Nothing to see here.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

There is bugger all science this or that way. However it is a suspect. If it is a problem I suspect its the way Aluminum is used. Steel spoons scraping, Acidic foods, Overheating, Leaving cooked acidic or salty food in the pot to cool then keeping the same pot and food in the fridge. Ya need to make a call on first what you are cooking, Then choose the vessel. For instance, You cannot cook a proper spag bol in cast iron or carbon steel. But traditional French style cooking that involves the basic trinity of onion, carrot and celery cooked in butter + oil does best in a carbon steel pan. My thoughts ended up as your wives, Best to avoid if possible. But within reason. I still use foil in "Tenting" or certain camping equipment. Most of that is Titanium nowadays. The hardest thing I let go of was foiled spuds in the coals. I bought my family each a jaffle iron and they squish the spud in that with oil and garlic for cooking, Turns out better :)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Smokey wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:42 pm I bought my family each a jaffle iron and they squish the spud in that with oil and garlic for cooking, Turns out better :)
I'd be interested to see a post on that method of cooking them.

Thinking about some Bacon in there too then dressed with chives and sour cream.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.