FIrst attempt at Brisket - Am I on the right track?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
joey13

FIrst attempt at Brisket - Am I on the right track?

Post by joey13 »

G'day guys,

I have been barbecuing for a few years now but have never attempted a Beef Brisket. I feel that I am now ready to attempt one which is referred to as some as the 'holy grail' of BBQ.

I've done a fair bit of research and have decided to summarise it here in one place not only for my own record and guide but to ask my fellow enthusiasts for any tips, advice or comments on my plan.

THE MEAT

Whilst some of you might suggest I not use such an expensive and premium piece of meat for my first attempt, I feel like its the right choice. I want to eliminate as many variables / margins for error in the final result. I don't want to be disappointed with the end result and wonder if it was because of average quality meat. I have decided to purchase a Blackmores Grain Fed Wagyu from Vics Meats in Laverton which I am told is around the 6kg mark.

It is my understanding that Brisket will lose just over 40% of its wight due to shrinkage over the cook time which will leave me with about 3-3.2 kg of cooked meat (assuming trimming of fat between 700-900g) which should easily feed 10-14 people based on 225-285 grams per person.

TRIMMING

I will be aiming for around 6-8mm of fat and particularly toward the point which will be closest to the fire and subjected to the most amount of heat. I will be removing the deckle.

Looking for a nice uniform shape here.

RUBBING

I will allow the brisket to come up to room temperature for about 1 hour before applying the rub.

I will be using a 50/50 mix of S&P on all sides. A conservative amount. I will consider using a binding agent such a yellow mustard if I need to. There will be no resting with the rub on. It will pretty much go straight onto the cooker once rubbed.

THE PIT

I will be using a Weber Performer Premium 57cm Kettle for this cook with a JG BBQ Offset 3mm offset plate. I will be using Clean Heat Lump Charcoal. I will be placing a large drip tray 3/4 full of hot water to help keep moisture inside the grill. I will be using a Weber iGrill 2 Probe Thermometer (Ambient and Meat probe). Thinking Oak Wood keeping in line with the Texas theme? I will be spritzing with water in a spray bottle to keep it moist maybe once every hour or so? Should I use Apple Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar instead???

COOKING TIMES

I anticipate that this Brisket would take anywhere between 11-15 hours to cook + 1 hour to rest so allowing 12-16 hours should be enough.

WRAPPING

I will be wrapping with either Butchers paper or foil at around the 155F Internal temp.

COOKING TEMP

I'll be looking to maintain a consistent temperature of 250F and cooking the brisket to an internal temp of 195-203F.

RESTING

Resting for 30mins minimum up to 4 hours wrapped in foil and towels in an esky.
12x7

Re: FIrst attempt at Brisket - Am I on the right track?

Post by 12x7 »

Sounds good.

I would use heat beads instead of the lump as it burns longer.

Post some photos of the cook as it progresses.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yes I'm with 12 x 7 on this, Heatbeads will give you a longer more consistant heat and use wood chunks not chips onto the coals.
You can approach this 2 ways, using beads to make a snake which is a proven method in a Kettle and will give you around 10-12 hour cook pending on how you set up your coals or you could do a mini Minion method by placing a big pile of unlit coals on 1/3rd side of the kettle followed by 1/3rd full chimney of hot coals ontop of the unlit coals (it'll burn down instead of up and will be a lot slower) and 3/4's of the grate space for the brisket but you'll need a divider between the coals like a couple of paver bricks standing on their side edge (you'll need to overlap the pavers a bit to fit)

Once you have the fire ready, throw on 2 fist size chunks of smoke wood, mesquite goes quite well with Beef.

Place prepared brisket opposite coals on the food grate, place on lid, close bottom vents to 10% open (do this before putting lid on kettle to view vents below) but leave the top vent open 100% to allow smoke to escape otherwise you might end up with a sooty taste on your brisket.
You might find you'll have to replenish coals irrespective of the method you use as 12-15 hours is a very long cook and your coals will be exhausted before then.

You'll know it's ready when you probe it and it'll provide no resistance, the probe should slide in and out like butter. 203F seems to be a goal to strive for.

Spritzing the outside constantly doesn't do anything much at all...it'll just vapourise out the top vent so unless you're going to foil it when it gets close to the stall, leave the moisture off the surface, you want the bark to be a bit crispy.

Good luck with it..we want to see pics of the cook up.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
joey13

Post by joey13 »

Thanks guys.

So I went to Bertie's Butcher in Richmond (Melbourne) and I have a 3.676kg piece of Cape Grim. The butcher advised against needing to trim it at all.

It wasn't as big as I would have liked but this is the best they had.

I'm worried about it drying out due to it's size. I am now thinking about injecting it?? Can you guys recommend an injection recipe?

The butcher advised to consider putting in something like Beef stock when I wrap it which will help keep it moist but I'm worried this may ruin the bark.

Given the flat is a lot thinner than the point, where do I insert my iGrill probe to take the IT reading (205f) from??? The flat or the thicker point.

Advice is appreciated.
gourmetgalaxy

Post by gourmetgalaxy »

Joey13,
was wondering how did you go with your first brisket.
I used some of your tips for mine. thanks for that post up.
Would like to see some picture of your cooked brisket.
G.G.