Cheese and Bacon Kranskys

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
Meat Addict72

Cheese and Bacon Kranskys

Post by Meat Addict72 »

going to fire up the smokehouse and make some Kranskys, if any one is keen il post the recipie. I formulate all my own recipies, and this one is a cracker!
Salt it, cure it, smoke it, ferment it, mince it, emulsify it, dry it, roast it, bbq it!!!!!!!
hoddo

Re: Cheese and Bacon Kranskys

Post by hoddo »

Thanks,I'd like to see a pic of the finished snag and the recipe
titch

Post by titch »

Yes please show and tell :wink:

I use the recipe that Mountain Mick posted in the forum with our own changes.
Cheers
Titch
Meat Addict72

Post by Meat Addict72 »

Heres my version, all my recipies are per kg.
350g clean pork eg Trimmed shoulder (I use topsides)
250g clean beef, topside, chuck, if you use chuck trim of the fat
150g Pork backfat
150g Pork Jowls,if you cant get jowls use backfat
100g lean bacon or ham ( Im lucky I get the brown end bits from my work!)
100g Hi-melt diced cheese, again I get it from work, but I also use the old kraft processed cheese, blue box and alfoil, works a treat
18g Salt
1.25g Kuritkwik
5-6g Glutamal/S3 Phosphate Cutter
5g Sodium Erythorbate, (Butchers Wholesaler)
8g Hagesud Krakow cooked salami seasoning, you can get this at a butchers supply wholesaler
2g White Pepper
1g ground Corriander
1g ground Mace
15-20g minced garlic
Chill all meat and fat in freezer, mince pork, beef, and backfat on 5 or 8ml plate depending on preference
mince Jowls on 3ml plate, combine all spices, meat and fat. Water is up to you, I use 10% generally, but you can use up to 15-20% for a softer feel, the less water the firmer the sausage, my polish friends don't use any water.
Mix well, and add cheese and bacon dice, and mix well again, your mix should be very sticky!
Don't put your mix back in the fridge, leave it out at room temp while you get your skins organised, I use 32-38 hog casings. Ideal temp of mix prior to filling is around the 10C, this gives the Nitrite a start.
fill into casings, and hang at room temp for 2hr, this is the start of the reddening or blooming process, you will notice the change in colour.
Turn on smokehouse on low, 65-70c and redden for 1hr, check the colour, they will have taken on a deep redish colour
give them a heavy smoke for 30m, then add water bowl and cook on low to med heat until they have a internal temp of 68-69c, you will get some carry over cooking, then put into ice bath to chill, until they drop to 20-25C, this stops wrinkling. Place into fridge uncovered to cool completely, then wrap or vac pac
Im still trying to work out how to upload thru photobucket, got plenty of pics to share
Hope you enjoy!
Salt it, cure it, smoke it, ferment it, mince it, emulsify it, dry it, roast it, bbq it!!!!!!!
DodgySheep

Post by DodgySheep »

Interesting - looks good!

I was watching a Youtube clip on sausage making from a butcher who insisted sausages should have rusk/binder - what are your thoughts? Do you make a lot of sausages?
Meat Addict72

Post by Meat Addict72 »

I makes fresh snags at work, and at home. Ok, so rusk is not really used as a binder, Glutamal, or S3 Cutter Phoshate is the binder, Rusk serves 2 perposes, it holds water and fat, and improves the "bite" of the sausage. In the trade we use both, at home its totally up to preference, at work we use 10-12%, I use it at home because I like the fat holding abilities but I only use 5-7%. And what is Rusk? well it comes in a few forms, breadcrumbs, potatoe starch, Fibrosil, Potatoe Fibre, even stale bread. My preference is potatoe fibre, you can get it at butchers wholesaler. My week at work is about 1.5 tons fresh snags, 2.2 tones Salami, 1 tone fritz or Devon, 1.5 tones Vienna, 2 tone mixed Kransky plus polish sausage, kabana, ect ect. Hope this helps!
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

I finally had a go at this recipe and as meat addict says its a cracker, I did it with the help of my friend Tom who has the butchers at Rouse Hill Village,his skill and equipment made it easy to mix and stuff,I smoked and cooked them in my converted fridge smoker. Its a 10 kilo batch we used 28-32 casings as that was what he had on hand, next batch will go with the 32-38. Big thanks to Meat Addict for this recipe, hope we did it justice.

Here they are going into the smoker after hanging for a few hrs
going in.jpg
going in.jpg (87.26 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
After the reddening and before smoking
reddened.jpg
reddened.jpg (84.8 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
Just out of the ice bath
done.jpg
done.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
Just had to try one, very tasty
tasty.jpg
tasty.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 7837 times