two different gas units from (1) gas bottle - can you do it

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:mrgreen:

A question for the 'brains trust' on here :)

I have to get a stand for my Baby Q, however it has to stand on un-level brickwork :roll:

I don't want to buy a genuine stand then go cutting the feet off to level it up, so I have gutted my 4 burner BBQ of all the 4 x burners and all associated gas parts.

I have retained the Wok burner on the Right side and the 50cm X 40cm metal shelf on the Left side and the gas bottle will still be able to hang on the original position underneath the wok burner.

This is NOT my BBQ but it is basically the same as it - at present my BBQ is pulled apart and I'm cleaning many yrs of 'grease' from it :cry:

The basics are there, the side shelf and the Wok burner are close enough looking to what mine is :)

I have also removed the 4 x gas knobs and the chrome fascia too
Where the 4 x gas burners used to sit is now empty space, just the dirt shelf and 'oil' container is left there.

I will get a shelf made so the baby 'Q' sits down in the body of the BBQ and the old BBQ oil catcher will be used.

A photo will be taken when the old BBQ is cleaned etc

My question is:
............... can the original wok burner and the Baby 'Q' be both run from the same gas bottle - if I get a gas line 'T' section and run the Wok burner & Baby 'Q' from their own individual regulators :?:

Thanking you in advance
Paul
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
titch

Re: two different gas units from (1) gas bottle - can you do

Post by titch »

Yes.
Send me your address by PM and I will send you an adaptor
Cheers
Titch
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

titch wrote:Yes.
Send me your address by PM and I will send you an adaptor
Well, I clicked the "like" button for this post but don't know if it does anything, so it was worthy of a reply saying, "I like this post and generosity". 2 thumbs up for Titch.
titch

Post by titch »

Depends on where your sticking the thumbs.
But thanks
I don't think clicking works here ,its super basic :wink:
Cheers
Titch
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Getting things done faster than I envisaged :roll:

The 4 x burner BBQ before the 'restoration' work really began

This is it cleaned up and painted, the new laminex Baby 'Q' support shelf is sitting under the cream painted lower BBQ shelf.

Have to now assemble the two sides and 4 x legs, with-out wheels this time.

Then will put into place and cut off the bottom of each leg to fit the sloping brickwork :wink:
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

The project is coming along slowly but surely, after all it is a long weekend here in Busselton (WA) :D

I made a shelf from dark laminex board to fit the gutted area of the old 4 x burner BBQ
I'm going to make a new fascia from the same dark laminex board to cover the front area where the 4 x burner controls were situated, so it will look 'nice' and still be functional :wink:

The shelf sits on the two ridges used to hold the old cast iron gas jets and sits firm up against each side of the area it uses.
I'm going to keep the original 4 x burner BBQ's rubbish collection shelf (not shown in photo) that used to sit under the burners, because one day I may cut a hole in the new shelf so the Baby 'Q' will drain down direct into that, instead of using the Baby 'Q' collection unit, as it may be difficult to check and change, I will see how it goes :cry:

This is the new home for the Baby'Q' :wink:

The old 4 x burner frame sits 12cm away from the rear wall of the open end of the pergola, so the Baby 'Q' lid will open and stay up and open :D

I will have to cut some length off each of the (edit - old 4 x burner BBQ) legs, so the Baby 'Q' sits lower and remains level, as the concrete area where it will sit slopes away from the home :roll:

The 'Wok Burner' will attach on the side of the BBQ frame and the squarish metal 'shelf' will attach to the other side of the BBQ frame, both where they used to be, when the BBQ frame's legs have been cut to their correct length.
The original full width storage shelf from under the original old BBQ will be fitted too, when all work is finished :roll:
Last edited by Mainey . . . on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Don't cut the q legs cut the barby legs makes more sence
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

food&fish wrote:Don't cut the q legs cut the barby legs makes more sence
Thank you :)

Yes, that's what I'm doing :)

Have 'edited' the post to make it more explicit and easier to understand

Thinking I may see if I can get some oblong metal channel that will fit over the original old 4 x burner BBQ legs, then I can have infinite adjustment to different variations to slope or flat floors :)

Paul
ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I use this adapter for the one gas bottle when camping. Webber baby q and potable gas burners

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

I looked at our local BBG store for ideas as to how I could set up my BBQ but did not see that item there :x

I have to go back tomorrow and get some sort of a 'capping plug' to block off the gas to the original 4 x burners cast iron jets (for want of the correct name)

titch

Post by titch »

That's what I'm sending you if you still want it
Cheers
Titch
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

titch wrote:That's what I'm sending you if you still want it
PM sent :D
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:mrgreen:

It's almost finished :D :D

The Weber 'Q' grill plates are 88cm off the ground and they are sitting dead level on the sloping pavers, the genuine Weber frame is 90cm off the ground :wink:

I will connect the Wok burner and the Baby 'Q' to the same gas bottle which will hang on the right side, under the Wok burner, on the existing hook against the side of the bbq frame.

Will paint the original BBQ oil drip tray, seen in it's original galvanized finish and situated under the new dark laminex fascia, will do it the same grey color as the storage shelf situated below the BBQ, attached to all four legs for stability.

The Baby 'Q' lid and the Wok burner lid will both open and remain back as is normal, they sit just short of the metal clad wall, so no scratching of either lid will occur :)
Last edited by Mainey . . . on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
titch

Post by titch »

Looks pretty neat mate, almost made for it.

Now mow your lawn
Cheers
Titch
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

titch wrote:Looks pretty neat mate, almost made for it.
yes,
I'm really happy with the finished product, it's solid and is still functional too :)

Painted the 'rubbish tray' the same grey color as the storage shelf under the BBQ cabinet today, so now it looks finished :)

Now I need a protective cover for the BBQ as the laminex shelf will get wet when it rains :cry:

titch wrote:Now mow your lawn

My lawn, ummmm yes one day, when I'm not busy I will look at it :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Mainey . . . on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.