Pit Barrel Cooker

All about smokers hot and cold
Dubbsy

Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Dubbsy »

Does anyone have one of these? They look the goods, but wouldn't mind to hear from anyone that has one.

Cheers
Smokey

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Smokey »

Bob Hart is a rep for these, Maybe sought him down on Face book as that is really the only place I see him.
In saying that, Id much prefer the "Bullet" type smokers such as the weber smokey mountain or the pro q. They are a little more dynamic and versatile than what is essentially an ugly drum smoker.
My personal opinion is I cant see a economic use unless you plan on cooking large amounts on a regular basis. Big Barrel = Big fuel.
That and leaning into a UDS to set up and clean is not my idea of fun.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
beaver

Post by beaver »

smokey, im like you mate if i look at them as a UDS then yea, they have all the issues as a UDS.
BUT have you cooked on one (im not attacking here im asking) i havent cooked on one either but know 3 people whom have and from what im told they are VERY different from a UDS.

first up they call to hang your meat and have no waterpan so thats different.
they have no top vent to open/close and the instructions that come with them (that i have seen) are some of the best written guides you will see. as an example it asks you for your elevation above sea level so as to recommend what setting to start them on.

The barrels themselves are smaller than a 44 gallon and because there is a convection and radiant heat cooking (unlike the UDS which is predominantly convection) things cook fairly hot and fast which means that less fuel is used.

in any case while im like you and want to put them in the same category as the UDS these things ask to be run completely different from the cooking methods that people employ on a UDS.

im not sponsored by them or have i cooked on one but credit where credit is due. They are a fantastic product where the recipes/instructions and surprisingly design are all top notch (i say design as even down to the gap between the rods and the barrel have been calculated and without the rods in the cooker basically wont work)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ive only seen them. Sure they are a great cooker, Not putting them down at all. I just thought that for my situation, Id prefer my WSM.
Thats good info about the fuel and the differences from a standard UDS.
Bob seems to churn out some great grub. And sometimes he doesn't which my be explained by the radiant heat part.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I have both the Pit Barrel Cooker and WSM and use them for different things . That being said I love the PBC and find myself slowly converting everything on it. I find I get better results using the recommended Kingsford Briquettes bought from Costco.
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

thanks guys, yeah I can get my hands on 44 gallon drums and other various gas style (nitrogen tanks and the such) tanks at the moment and am toying with ideas (and am in various stages of designing) either an offset out of them or maybe a UDS...was just wondering if the PBC would be a better option than a UDS (seems like it might be) and concentrate on an offset design...possibly even get my hands on the PBC and decide against using the barrels/tanks at all and just getting some to cut them up to be backyard fire drums...
beaver

Post by beaver »

i can tell you that you wouldnt regret getting a PBC
wedwards

Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by wedwards »

I have one and love it. Way better than the WSM that I sold, and beats my UDS to the point I don't use it anymore. It's a great way to cook if you use it how the video manuals say to. Doesn't use that much fuel compared to WSM, in actual fact it cooks quicker and therefore uses less. I have mine set so that I can snuff it out by putting something over the intake - it's just enough to make the fire die off. They are great for beginners or experienced people in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk