NEED HELP TO SELECT GAS BBQ - VERY CONFUSED

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
bookworm9992001

NEED HELP TO SELECT GAS BBQ - VERY CONFUSED

Post by bookworm9992001 »

Hi everybody,

I've been reading these forums for awhile, and it appears that there are so many bbq experts out there. I call on you to please help.

I currently own a weber kettle & have used this for years. I'm looking for a gas bbq because it's a pain to light up the coals.
I've been to a few stores & come out more confused than ever.The prices differ significantly & I ask : is a $3,000 item really 10x better than one for $300?
I always see loads of bbqs thrown out at solid waste collection days.So it appears that some are really of a poor quality. But which ones?

I'm looking for something easy to light ; easy to clean ; easy to use ; rust resistant. Not built in. Most likely use LPG. Most likely will stay outdoors.
I cook mainly lamb loin chops ; sausages ; beef rump ; T Bone ; chicken fillets ; chicken drumsticks. So stuff that cooks quickly & mainly on open flame. [except for the drumsticks].
I do not make roasts.
Though perhaps I'd cook side items like corn / roast potatoes etc & also burgers if the new bbq allowed.
We are a family of 7 adults & I always cook extra because the family always want extra sausages etc the next day.

I've read some good stuff about the weber genesis 330 & the family Q3200 , but is weber the only choice? To be honest , I've not been overly impressed with the Q series that I've seen. They appear a bit flimsy.

So before I head [yet again] to the stores, can anyone please assist me with some choices that I can check out. What questions must I ask the salespeople?

Thanking you ever so much.
Michael_Dunn

Re: NEED HELP TO SELECT GAS BBQ - VERY CONFUSED

Post by Michael_Dunn »

Firstly, you need to identify the features you want/don't want

e.g.
rotisserie
side wok burner
IR back burner
3,4,5 or 6 burner
smoker box
cabinet storage
hood with temperature gauge
hood with glass panel
ease of movement (going from under cover to outside)
stainless steel (if rust is an issue, in your area)
etc.
etc.

I'd recommend you peruse many of the topics in this part of the forum "Gas",
and check out the comments about various types
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

I have a Kamado Classic a baby Q 200 and a turbo elite. I don't think The Q series would suit what you're looking for either. I have had beef eater BBQ's in the past and I have also had the cheap BBQ's. I can tell you that before I bought my turbo I looked at BBQ's over and over and over. When I found the turbo I knew that no other BBQ would satisfy me so I had no choice but to buy it.
It's a BBQ's galore BBQ. So they will give you the big sales pitch. But (other than my Kamado) it's the best BBQ I have ever had. It's not cheap mind you, I paid $2500 but that's for the elite. There are cheaper options. I would put a photo up but I can't work out how to do it.

Good luck!

Oh, one more thing, one big selling point for the turbo is NO flare ups due to its quarts dome. That's not entirely true. I have had flare ups especially when doing pork. But I use grill grates now and that is no longer a problem. But just so you know, no matter what they say, you can get flare ups.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Pesto3 wrote:I have a Kamado Classic a baby Q 200 and a turbo elite. I don't think The Q series would suit what you're looking for either. I have had beef eater BBQ's in the past and I have also had the cheap BBQ's. I can tell you that before I bought my turbo I looked at BBQ's over and over and over. When I found the turbo I knew that no other BBQ would satisfy me so I had no choice but to buy it.
It's a BBQ's galore BBQ. So they will give you the big sales pitch. But (other than my Kamado) it's the best BBQ I have ever had. It's not cheap mind you, I paid $2500 but that's for the elite. There are cheaper options. I would put a photo up but I can't work out how to do it.

Good luck!

Oh, one more thing, one big selling point for the turbo is NO flare ups due to its quarts dome. That's not entirely true. I have had flare ups especially when doing pork. But I use grill grates now and that is no longer a problem. But just so you know, no matter what they say, you can get flare ups.
I wouldn't worry too much Pesto, bookworm who was the original poster of this Question only hung around for 1 day and hasn't been back since, but i'll give you a link for your photo issue, you'll need to upload your pictures to a 3rd party website like photobucket, then when you've done that, use the IMG link to copy and paste into your posts.http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=5380

Flikr is another one you can use but I prefer photobucket.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

Davo wrote:
Pesto3 wrote:I have a Kamado Classic a baby Q 200 and a turbo elite. I don't think The Q series would suit what you're looking for either. I have had beef eater BBQ's in the past and I have also had the cheap BBQ's. I can tell you that before I bought my turbo I looked at BBQ's over and over and over. When I found the turbo I knew that no other BBQ would satisfy me so I had no choice but to buy it.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry too much Pesto, bookworm who was the original poster of this Question only hung around for 1 day and hasn't been back since, but i'll give you a link for your photo issue, you'll need to upload your pictures to a 3rd party website like photobucket, then when you've done that, use the IMG link to copy and paste into your posts.http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=5380

Flikr is another one you can use but I prefer photobucket.

Cheers

Davo
Ahhh ok. I didn't realize the date at the top. Thanks for the info. I obviously am new to this site and have to get use to it. I am on another site but is mainly American based.

Thanks Davi!
bookworm9992001

Thank you Pesto. I've been too busy recently, and just this week got thinking about a buying a BBQ again, so your reply is most welcome. So the Q series is not recommended. I'll have to consider something else. Your turbo is a tad too pricey for me though. Didn't know about the flare ups, thank you for that tip. I see you didn't recommend a beef eater either. So I won't consider those either. Process of elimination and all that. But I will look at the Kamado. Thank you
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

bookworm9992001 wrote:Thank you Pesto. I've been too busy recently, and just this week got thinking about a buying a BBQ again, so your reply is most welcome. So the Q series is not recommended. I'll have to consider something else. Your turbo is a tad too pricey for me though. Didn't know about the flare ups, thank you for that tip. I see you didn't recommend a beef eater either. So I won't consider those either. Process of elimination and all that. But I will look at the Kamado. Thank you
Hi Mate, just to clarify, I didn't have any problems with my Beef Eater, I just outgrew it! it was only a 3 burner but it got massive amounts of heat! which is what I personally want in a GAS BBQ. As for the Q series, they are also a great BBQ. just didn't sound like that was what you were really in the market for. I guess at the end of the day its all down to personal preference. I had a cheap BBQ ($300) for several years until it just rusted out. thats when I went the turbo. The wife agreed to it so I had to JUMP ON IT while I had the chance!

There is nothing wrong with a cheaper BBQ.......the most important thing is having a BBQ!

cheers
pierre

Post by pierre »

I do not have a gas bbq, but if one day I decide to buy one it would be a Weber traditional style, not one of the Q family that I don't like.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

pierre wrote:I do not have a gas bbq, but if one day I decide to buy one it would be a Weber traditional style, not one of the Q family that I don't like.

Pierre, what don't you like about the Weber Family Q's...I'd be interested to know.

I've had the Q120 about 10 yrs ago and that was a little dynamite....got really hot and so economical, then I updated to a Weber Q220 and that was good also but not as good as the little 120 as it was a big leap in size but not power.
I then went out and bought a Masport 6 Burner...that got hot but I hated it....it flared up on me all the time, never had troubles with the Q's, so I sold that to a mate who loves it and bought a family Q 320....mate this BBQ is awesome, with a hotplate on half the grill, it'll do anything that a 6 burner will do and even better at least than a 3rd of running costs. The 6 burner was thirstier than a V8 Supercar...not so the Q320. They are not flimsy either, stronger than they look.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
pierre

Post by pierre »

Davo wrote:
pierre wrote:I do not have a gas bbq, but if one day I decide to buy one it would be a Weber traditional style, not one of the Q family that I don't like.

Pierre, what don't you like about the Weber Family Q's...I'd be interested to know.

I've had the Q120 about 10 yrs ago and that was a little dynamite....got really hot and so economical, then I updated to a Weber Q220 and that was good also but not as good as the little 120 as it was a big leap in size but not power.
I then went out and bought a Masport 6 Burner...that got hot but I hated it....it flared up on me all the time, never had troubles with the Q's, so I sold that to a mate who loves it and bought a family Q 320....mate this BBQ is awesome, with a hotplate on half the grill, it'll do anything that a 6 burner will do and even better at least than a 3rd of running costs. The 6 burner was thirstier than a V8 Supercar...not so the Q320. They are not flimsy either, stronger than they look.

Cheers

Mine It's a perfectly superficial decision, since I don't have one and I have never eaten anything cooked on it. It's mainly two things:
1) I usually only grill and don't roast, for lack of time, and it seems that to give their best you have to close the lid.
2)I have seen some of the small ones at the shop and I did not like the quality of the material.
I am sure lots of people are very happy with them, and I can't exclude to be 100% wrong in my thoughts, I just said what i would buy, I mean we can't have them all can we :D
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

hehehe Dunno about that :lol:

One of the things I do most on my Weber Q's is grilling, in fact I'd say that's what I mostly do, I haven't done a roast in a fair while and when I do, it's usually in the Weber kettle. I've only ever roasted in the Q a couple of times and it was surprisingly delicious.
The thing with Lid down grilling, which most BBQs won't handle due to the way they are ventilated, is that Webers were designed totally for Lid Down grilling so their ventilation is different to handle that.
Even the Weber Genesis and larger Summit's are designed purely for lid down grilling and once you become accustomed to it, you won't go back to the older Aussie open BBQ. I did once with the Masport 6 Burner and regretted it.
The flavour of lid down grilling is far superior than open lid as the flavour stays around the food and it cooks quicker because whilst the firs side of a steak is grilling, the other side is getting a head start too so therefore will require less time once you flip it.

Grilled veggies on the Q grill are to die for, plus I've found that because the 3200 series has 21,000 BTU's available, with a hotplate on one side, it'll out sizzle most on the market even with the lid up.

The Q320 does great Pizzas too because the lid top is closer to the pizza toppings and will grill it beautifully.

Anyway...I'm loving mine and I love using Charcoal as well but the Gasser Q320 is the closest thing to it.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
bookworm9992001

Thanks Davo , I'm back to considering the Q...no time to go and look atm though. I'm glad you've answered questions about suitablity for grilling ; veggies ; pizzas ; flaming etc.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

bookworm9992001 wrote:Thanks Davo , I'm back to considering the Q...no time to go and look atm though. I'm glad you've answered questions about suitablity for grilling ; veggies ; pizzas ; flaming etc.
Bookworm, just in relation to your original post about finding it a pain to light the coals - do you have a chimney starter? If not, you can find these at Bunnings/Masters for under $30. A chimney starter makes lighting the coals a breeze.
I 'Cue BBQ
Olsen Brand Charcoal Aficionado "hotter than a shower with your cousin"

Hark Tri Fire - 2011 Weber OTG - 1983 Weber OT (work in progress) - Cadac Charcoal Pro
Instagram: @icuebbq
bookworm9992001

Never can seem to get the coal level correct either, so start up not the only problem. Guess I'm just not meant to use coal. Thanks though.
bookworm9992001

Hi to all, thank you so much for taking out the time to reply, greatly appreciated.
@ Davo, you made up my mind for me,I've just bought the Q3100, used it once only, and am so far very happy with it. So easy to use.