Cheap Kettles any good to start with?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

My bad buddy
I waited a bit before calling.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
alex_m_84

Re: Cheap Kettles any good to start with?

Post by alex_m_84 »

Haha, I didn't read your post properly.
All good. It's a good deal for ya. I'll keep an eye out for more. I'm sure they'll come up a fair bit
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Im always keeping an eye on south west Weber's, I'll find one for ya. Sorry it went this way mate. It wasn't my intentions
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
alex_m_84

Post by alex_m_84 »

Muppet wrote:Im always keeping an eye on south west Weber's, I'll find one for ya. Sorry it went this way mate. It wasn't my intentions
It's really not a problem. I wouldn't even know how to use it yet. I'll keep an eye out from now on. Give me a PM if you find one, or have one you'd like to sell.
Cheers
Alex
Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

I use the compact weber and have no problems with low and slow,it does all the things I need it to do I got the compact for the same reason,didn't want to spend a lot of money and wasn't sure if I'd like it but now I'm hooked on charcoal and can't get enough,I'm now looking into an upgrade from my weber I'm falling in love with the idea of an offset smoker/grill the only thing that's holding me back from that investment is finding good cuts of meat to take advantage of it,if I can find a great butcher in Brisbane that is consistent then I'll get that hark but in the mean time I love my little compact.
Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain
Weber 22 inch One Touch Silver,1988
scrub puller

Post by scrub puller »

Yair . . .

Dunno Dogkarma we all think a little different . . .
the only thing that's holding me back from that investment is finding good cuts of meat to take advantage of it
To me, even my hot and fast style of low and slow makes good tucker out of at times what can be pretty ordinary meat. I don't tend to stress out too much about the quality of the slow cook pieces.

I cut up my briskets into manageable portions and cook them along with a nice fatty bit of pork shoulder and maybe a hand of well soaked el cheapo pickled pork.

I wander around the US charcoal and wood burner sites a bit and the way they go on about needing the best of meat (to me)
defeats the whole point of (relatively) slow cooking.

Cheers.
Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

Scrub,what I meant was finding the correct cuts of meat,I'm in no way hating on the quality of meat we in Australia produce I think we have have the best beef in the world our export industrie can test to that.

I've altered my BBQ style to be more suited to cuts I can get and not what I can't and also adding an Aussie flare,after working and living in the states for five and a half years I got the taste for real Texan BBQ,I lived in San Marcos Texas,it's a smallish town between Austin and San Antonio and Texans are nuts crazy when it comes to BBQ,the brisket we have or rather all I can find is far from what the yanks have,I now prefer a nice beef cheek because I can't replicate the brisket I fell in love with.
Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain
scrub puller

Post by scrub puller »

Yair . . .

Gotcha Dogkarma, that's interesting.

So what you are saying is you can't get whole "packer" briskets with point and flat combined . . . what we call first and second cuts?

The Yanks were horrified when I told them I cut my brisket into pieces and we prefer to eat it cold . . . they pretty set in their ways I reckon. (big grin)

The fact we cut beef and pork different to the US can be a bit confusing.

The biggest problem I have is with pork ribs . . . for a bit of a stir I asked my US friends what they did with the skin on St Louis ribs.

It's all good fun

Cheers.
Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

The best I've come across as far as ribs go in Brisbane is Costco,also a big issue we have to deal with is the fact our animals are slaughtered at a younger age so the cuts aren't as big,that and the fact that thanks to the big supermarket chains butchers need to make a living and they can't afford to stock a product that just doesn't sell to the average family.

They need to focus on doing the staples to support their lively hood and rightly so,the average butcher can't make a living if he relies on me going down every fortnight to buy a full brisket to fulfill a pipe dream of an awesome BBQ,I understand and respect that notion,the only thing I buy from supermarkets these days as far as meat goes is mince,snags and I'll often get those boned legs of lamb when on special,that's it.

I don't like supermarket butchers I feel the product just isn't that great and $25 for a tray of four thin scotch fillets cut crooked is just a slap in the face to us and our farmers,I buy good meat from good butchers and I don't mind the premium I pay for it,I've narrowed my selection down to three that I feel can offer a product that I'm happy with,except great pork ribs none of them can do it or want to do it so Costco it is and I tell them that.

I believe it's up to all of us who have a passion for low and slow and great BBQ to start pushing back to our butchers that we do have a market in this country for great ribs,brisket etc and they can make a living selling those products because at the end of the day woollies or Coles will never sell those lines so our only option is our local butcher,and when I go in and spend money on a great rack of ribs you bet I'll get those mini chicken roasts 4 for $10 two of his Kiev's a tray of snags and chuck in a kilo of honey soy chicken wings for good measure.

rant over :)
Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain