GMG any good?

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Tsunami

GMG any good?

Post by Tsunami »

I've been reading up and it seems the GMG is pretty good, most owners like them.
Anyone here got one?
Urban Griller just posted a great deal on the other forum, I think it might be time to spend some of my Christmas card money!
I might go and have a look at one.

Sue
Shem

Re: GMG any good?

Post by Shem »

Hey Sue
What is the other forum ?
Cheers
Shem
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Why not deal directly with the Importer, he stocks and sell the GMG Pellet grills and will organise freight as this is where it comes from anyway irrespective of what resaler you buy it through.
http://hark.com.au/gmg-units.html
Based in Nunawading Vic.
He has some good stuff in his business to cater for most BBQ interests.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Davo wrote:Why not deal directly with the Importer, he stocks and sell the GMG Pellet grills and will organise freight as this is where it comes from anyway irrespective of what resaler you buy it through.
Based in Nunawading Vic.

Cheers

Davo
UM.....Hark are a distributor. They do not sell direct to the Public!

Regards
Chris

Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

urbangriller wrote:
Davo wrote:Why not deal directly with the Importer, he stocks and sell the GMG Pellet grills and will organise freight as this is where it comes from anyway irrespective of what resaler you buy it through.
Based in Nunawading Vic.

Cheers

Davo
UM.....Hark are a distributor. They do not sell direct to the Public!

Regards
Chris

Oh ok Chris.sorry about that...I thought they did....I stand corrected....I thought they were a reseller as well. :oops:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Shem wrote:Hey Sue
What is the other forum ?
Cheers
Shem
Smoke Fire and Food

Isee he posted the deal here as well.

Sue
jjjones

Post by jjjones »

Hey Mate,

I bought a Daniel Boone last year, wifi version. What do you want to know?
mrhappi

Post by mrhappi »

you been happy with it jjjones? Is that model big enough for you?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Its a good thing mate, Ive catered weddings, Parties , Anything on my DB and its just big enough.
My only nit pick would be the crucible cover and the main drip sheet are both warped and rusting up. Probably just some parts upgrade and mine is one of the first in Australia so it has some age on it now. One day when funds permit, Ill upgrade to the now standard flame grill baffle plate and see how that flies. Its still going and with the Wifi brains I had installed, Its running better than day one. I would like to know what the paint is for general touch ups as these seppo Cues are made of steel and likewise, Require servicing.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
jjjones

Post by jjjones »

So far, I've been generally happy with it.
The DB is big enough for me. When deciding to buy it, i thought i wanted the JB but looking at it in person, it seemed way to big for my needs.

I got mine last year so it came with the 2-piece stainless steel drip pan and the wifi version.

I'll list the things i like and dont like about it:

Dont like:
Uneven temperature across grill. You have to fiddle around a bit to get both left and right sides of the grill to be close temperature.
Lid doesn't seal properly. Mine had a few gaps in the lid. I solved this by buying a gasket.
Not able to grill. Although i guess its main purpose is for low and slow cooking, You'll have a hard time tryng to sear steaks/meat on it. I was able to acheive this by completely removing the drip pan and fix box shield and grilling my meats directly above the flame. But its a very small area.
It may not be "smokey" enough on its own. Pellets burn very clean, so its hard to get that smokey flavour that you would from a stick burner. You can get more "smoke" flavor using an amazen pellet tube. Ive done this and think it taste pretty good. Ive always thought the more smokey the better. But tasting some meats from an offset, it can be overpowering sometimes.

Like:
Wifi. Seems like a gimmick but when you are smoking a 12hour brisket and still be able to go to sleep that helps a lot.
Temperature stability. It is excellent at maintaining temperature. Although the actual temp inside differs to what you are setting it. Whatever you set it to, it will stay at that temp. You'll just need a maverick or whatever to get the real grill temp.
Efficient, Pellets cost roughly $40 for 12kg these days. If you are doing low and slow, it uses bugger all pellets.
Pellets burn clean, so it produces very little ash.
You can tell people that your BBQ has wifi.

All in all, i do love my pellet grill. I think its far superior when it comes to low and slow.
Not so good with high temp grilling. This is why i plan on getting a kamado for my grilling needs.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

All good points Triple J, I can concur with them. It seems its the same across all brands of pellet cookers.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I think too that our idea in Australia on grilling is a bit different to what the American's considered in grilling temps, they're about 350F plus where we consider it anything over 420F plus.
When I had the Traeger 075 Texas which is about the similar size as the JB it would struggle to get up to 400F and would settle at around 380F, so it would roast pretty good and low heat grill.
It was also very hungry for pellets at this rate using around 1 kg per hour so a 9kg bag didn't last very long if one was to use it for grilling....that's where my Webers excelled.

So I generally only used it for low n slow.

Mine originally came with a with speed select Smoke,med and Hi.....I had good results from these 3 settings but then I went to install a digital thermo-stat and was less than happy with it's performance...I wished I had saved my money :roll: Maybe it was just too old fashioned to accept the new devices....bit like me :lol:

I got good smoke on low (smoke) but the other 2 settings were ordinary.

One of my mates just bought one of the newly arrived Louisiana Pellet cookers so I'll see that in action today as he wants to show it off....it was a close contest between the biggest Louisiana to the Jim Bowie but he liked the Lou the best....and they were around the similar price range.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
wedwards

GMG any good?

Post by wedwards »

My experiences with the GMG are well documented in another thread here. Despite all that, I would recommend them as an entry level pellet grill. The Don godke downdraft mod is mandatory on them, as it fixes the niggling temp issues and improves both pellet efficiency and smoke flavour - get from urban griller or Don directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Grilling for me is the 500-600° range...Which all 3 of my pellet units will provide, 2 being GMG Daniel Boones...If you have never had food cooked on a Pellet Pit, don't buy one until you do, and if possible a couple or 3 times...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

mrhappi

Post by mrhappi »

Appreciate the comments and took the plunge into a DB yesterday. Really looking forward to the convenience this will give me compared to the keg.
Now for the Don Godke kit - how much is that likely to set me back?