Getting back to basics with the Weber kettle

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Flippo

Re: Getting back to basics with the Weber kettle

Post by Flippo »

I did a boneless shoulder the other day and, without looking at this thread, went back to basics, looked at the book and thought I'd go somewhere between 25 and 32 per side. The reason for this is I know you want an initial high heat for the crackling then a nice medium heat as it tapers off and the rest of the roast cooks through. I counted in 25 each basket and threw in a few more each side, I reckon I had either 28, 29 or 30 each side and it came out good. The fire did die down more than I expected though over the given time but I was also under time constraints and couldn't leave it to do it's job for as long as it needed to.

I've been trying to get my kettle mojo back lately, it's taken a back seat over the last couple of years due to having five different types of bbq in the shed but I'm bringing it back and as always, she just keeps producing, no complaints, no whinging, no fuss, just great results each and every time. They really are a great bit of kit.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

bump :)
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
wedwards

Getting back to basics with the Weber kettle

Post by wedwards »

Did a roast pork last night on the weber and it came out insanely good. It's the best device for getting ALL the skin to crackle up that I've ever used. Think I just filled the 2 baskets and out one on either side with drip pan in the middle until it got to 74 degrees internal.

It's interesting what you said originally about reading the book. I have 2 of those books; 1 sits on shelf in library and was from first weber ever bought. That purchase almost caused me to throw the weber out, but I never really read the book. Eventually watched a few YouTube vids on how to use a kettle and I was away (about a 10 year gap between purchase and working out how to use it properly). Second copy is from the weber performer gold I got a couple months ago. Still in wrapping. Guess I never learn. Better break it out and check that I still have half a clue about how to use it, and see if there are any updates. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I often wondered about updates to that book....jeez those authors if still around would be pretty long in the tooth now :shock:

It's a great well presented hard covered book.....it explains exactly how to set it up for any type of recipe......the stuff we learn on the forums is just an extension of that.....apart from the minion method or the snake.

Mate...have a good read and just follow it for a while.....you'll be glad you did.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
ozzieac

Post by ozzieac »

What it's the best oil to use for crackling? I noticed captain said not olive. TIA
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

You could use canola or grapeseed but i prefer rice bran oil as a good high smoking point oil which sadly olive oil isn't.....best to be left for salads.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
ozzieac

Post by ozzieac »

Cool thanks davo