Low n Slow Pulled Pork

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Ron173

Low n Slow Pulled Pork

Post by Ron173 »

G'day all,
Well its the weekend, and an early start for me this morning at 0530 to get my cook underway, thought I'd do a post n put up some pics as I know how much you guys like pics with it....pics or it didnt happen...something like that yeah...

OK so I guess thats not happening...just tried my first SMALL pic n I get "sorry the board attachment quota has been reached" not seen this before...

Is this a board issue, bandwidth? or something to do with my attachments from prevoius posts n I need to delete them?

AND no idea why this post has duplicated??? maybe a mod can delete one, you about Paul?
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

You need to host the pics at an image hosting site, like photo bucket then paste the links in your reply.
Ron173

Re:

Post by Ron173 »

yakabot wrote:You need to host the pics at an image hosting site, like photo bucket then paste the links in your reply.
Ah..is that where I went wrong, been a while since posted pics... i'll try fix it up now

cheers
Ron173

Re: Low n Slow Pulled Pork

Post by Ron173 »

OK try again....
heres my snake setup ready to go with bit of seasoned wood included
coals on n going
my roasting rack and my maverick
My joint of pork shoulder, ready to go in, pre rubbed in magic dust for 24hrs
coals ready to go almost
Not forgetting the tray of water for a bit of ballast to help stabilise temp
Coals on my snake n off n running, I find tongs here of use to position coals better than just tipping out
Meat in and ready to go, I use a bit of foil to shield from the initial high temp from the fresh hot coals, but remove after an hour or so
N finally heres my little maverick which transmits to the remote so I can see temps from in the house
Leave to cook for as many hours as needed to hit 190F internal...
My under hood temp is a steady 100c n I find this does well.
might do some pics later with an update...

boom boom
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Looks pretty good Ron, are they smoking chips or chunks? I normally use the chunks rather than chips as they smoulder much better and much longer.

If you get higher temps due to the initial coals....next time, don't put so many on....I usually put in no more than about a dozen....hard to count how many you have there and a foil tray of cold water will bring temps down acting as a heat sink.

When it gets to about 65-70C, you'll come across the stall which could last for an hour or so.....all part of the process.....but usually after the first 3 hours of smoke, the meat won't take on any more so you could foil it up at that stage and let it continue on....the final 10C unfoil and let the crust harden up a bit.

Hope your guests love the final product :)

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Ron173

Post by Ron173 »

g'day Davo,

thanks for reply mate, not many on here now, wheres urbangriller and all the crew?

Yeah just chips, just the Bunnings stuff, not seen chunks anywhere around here..

There wouldn't be more than a dozen beads on there, I just used tongs to place ontop of the unlit snake ones, tray of water was in there..

Stall was about 154F I use f , lasted about 4hrs, then onwards n upwards, hit about 203F n foiled it for an hour in esky n served....

Guests were going back for more n more n even got a lunch sandwich out of it today....yay

cheers mate
werewolf

Low n Slow Pulled Pork

Post by werewolf »

Thanks for the piccies!

OK excuse my ignorance here, but what do you guys serve with your pulled meats? I think our American friends tend to load up burgers with pulled meats, but what is the norm here?

I come from a "carved roast" home and could use still do a pulled meat with your traditional roast veg, or do you create a different type of meal?

I've never actually eaten pulled roast anything and I'm salivating at the idea of trying it out!

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

The Yanks tend to serve baked beans and coleslaw but i tend to do the roast spuds and pumpkin affair....i also like to grill other veggies like grilled capsicum and zuchini.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb »

What about putting it on some Lebanese bread (or similar), along with some fresh garden salad.

Add some yoghurt or perhaps some honey mustard dressing and wrap it up.
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

Great ideas. Ta

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk