Brisket/advice/newbie checking in

All about smokers hot and cold
raze

Brisket/advice/newbie checking in

Post by raze »

Hi guys n gals,

First post here and did my first smoke on my proq on the weekend. I would like to do a brisket very soon and would love some advice on where to purchase the meat from. I did a little research and was thinking about buying a 3kg brisket from the chop shop as they are close to where I work. I am around the logan, ipswich (carole park) and Redlands area Monday to Friday. Anywhere else you could recommend?

Also what sort of smoking time for a 3kg brisket at 250f would you recommend?

Any general tips pointers would be greatly appreciated for the brisket as I am learning and only had my first go ever at chicken legs and sausages on the weekend just gone and am hooked.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Re: Brisket/advice/newbie checking in

Post by paulr »

Hiya, I would recommend to cook it a bit lower 225 ....
It's give or take 3 - 3.5 hrs per kg (dont try to rush it) and make sure your rest it for a few hours in an eski...

Brisket....mmmmmmm

Happy BBQ-ing Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
raze

Post by raze »

Great thanks Paul! I do have some more questions if you don't mind. It is my understanding that when smoking it is the first hour primarily that the smoke penetrates the meat so should I keep my wood of choice burning for first hour and when its done just keep the charcoal up to it?

When resting in the esky what is the best way to reheat it for serving?

Thanks again,
Matt.
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Meat only takes on smoke until it reaches a certain temp, so yes, do it how you mention. (I can't remember what that temp is) As for reheating, I haven't done it as I don't have a vac sealer, but if you do, vac seal the portions and reheat it in the bag in hot water. That way you lose no flavor or juices. And as mentioned, don't rush it. It'll be ready when it's ready.
raze

Post by raze »

Awesome thanks! Do you wrap your briskets if so is alfoil the best choice?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Generally meat like a brisket will take on about 3 hours of smoke then most will usually wrap it in a few layers of foil....it's called the Texas Crutch but by doing this, it will speed up the cook by a few hours but will leave the bark very soggy so unwrap it for the last hour. You don't have to wrap it though...you can just let it go au natural and you'll get some nice burnt ends...yummo!!
We generally work in the American Farenheit temps to make life a little easier and to emulate what they do.....so you take the brisket up to a temp of about 203F internal, take it off the grill, wrap in more foil and old towels and place it in a dry esky...it'll stay very hot for many hours...easily 3-4 like this and will still be breaking down in the meantime for the slicing. If you don't have old towels, I find lots of newspaper wrapped around does the trick and you don't have to wash it later.
Slice it always against the grain......the grain can run 3 different directions so be aware of that.

I'm not in anyway experienced in brisket and hoping some that are will pipe up for you.

Can I suggest, before you tackle brisket, you can do a similar turn out with a decent sized chuck roast....it's a tough meat that needs breaking down and goes nicely smoked with either hickory or mesquite chunks.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
raze

Post by raze »

Awesome thanks Davo for the information and the suggestion! Ok well that is good to know. I have started watching videos and will be reading for the next week or two. Will be aiming for 1/4 inch fat on top cooked with fat up and will cut against the grain like you suggest.

Thanks again everyone. Anymore advice would be great taking it all on board.
edgy

Post by edgy »

There is simply no right or wrong answer on this.. I have cooked good brisket in 4 hours and I have cooked it in 20 hours and everything in between.

You just have to find a technique that works for you & your type of cooker, I don't like cooking beef at 225*F don't get me wrong, you can and I have but I've found better results cooking hotter provided you have some humidity in the cook chamber.

So I would recommend you at least run our cooker at 250*f and use water in the pan. 2-3 hours per kilos is about right for the cook time.

As for seasoning use salt & pepper to start, focus on your technique.. because if you can't make your brisket good with just S&P you sure as hell shouldn't bother adding anything else to the mix.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
raze

Post by raze »

Thanks Edgy! I can feel the passion coming through your message. As I read more I am seeing so many variations on how to do it so the whole no right or wrong way to do it is becoming quite obvious. I do like the suggestion of only salt and pepper to focus on the cooking and getting the core of it right which is the cooking. So you say our cooker I assume you rock a proq also? I am in love my little unit, as it is basic but sweet (i'm sick I know).

Ok since there is so many different methods, when it comes to adding your woods of choice how much and how many times do YOU guys like to add? I don't want to overdo it was thinking 2 pieces of hickory about the size of my fist one time without adding anything would be enough and when the wood is done it is done.
edgy

Post by edgy »

My main go to unit is the Yoder YS1500 but have been cooking a lot on the Weber smokey mountain lately too (same as pro q)

I'd keep smoke on it for at least 4 hours or so... that helps make your bark too, just add those chunks as you need to!
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra