Gourmet Brined Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Richie

Re: Gourmet Brined Chicken

Post by Richie »

This might be a stupid question but, what sort of setup do you use for this? I've only really ever done the snake and indirect method of cooking. Can someone give me some guidance?
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

you mention snake, so i am assuming a kettle or similar. Indirect is the go, like a roast. Think 180-200deg for an hourish
Richie

Post by Richie »

2browndogs wrote:you mention snake, so i am assuming a kettle or similar. Indirect is the go, like a roast. Think 180-200deg for an hourish
Beautiful, thanks, and yes, kettle bbq, I should have specified. So basically charcoal baskets either side and chook in the middle?

Also, another stupid question, I've only ever used briquettes but there is a local guy who sells lump charcoal that I really want to try. How do I go about lighting lump charcoal, just load a chimney full, get it started then dump on top of loaded baskets in the weber?
DAK

Post by DAK »

Hi All,

I cooked a 2.4kg bird using the brine method for 1hr 45mins to internal of 80c on a Kamado Big Joe and it was perfect.

Just thought I'd share a time/temp experience as there's not much of that in the thread.

Thanks Captain for sharing.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

DAK wrote:Hi All,

I cooked a 2.4kg bird using the brine method for 1hr 45mins to internal of 80c on a Kamado Big Joe and it was perfect.

Just thought I'd share a time/temp experience as there's not much of that in the thread.

Thanks Captain for sharing.
Glad you liked it.

The cooking time is dependant on many factors and changes between bbqs. That's why I give a finish internal temperature.

Cheers
meatbag

Post by meatbag »

I gave this method a try last night.

I used a bit more salt and sugar than posted. Around halfway between this and the original recipe. Cooked it in the weber charcoal.

The missus LOVED it! She is very quick to point out whenever her food is even slightly dry, she was over the moon with the juicyness of this. I'll certainly be keeping this one as a staple from now on.
snowfella

Post by snowfella »

Tried it for the first time tonight as a premiere use of my rotisseries and have to agree, great recipe!
Tossed in a small tray of potatoe wedges underneath the chook to soak up some of the juices lost while cooking and the wife used the remaining juices to make a gravy.

Excuse the POS Iphone shots :oops:
As it started

And as it ended up, golden and crunchy skin!
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Look good. Well done!
Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

Hello everyone

I’m new here but I have a weber 3200 I’ve had it for 2 years no dramas yet and loving every cook,

But I’ve been trying to get in to smoking and slow cooking recently.

I’ve done a whole chicken recently using hickory and it came up nice with a garlic herd butter basting

But I want to try this brine for Christmas, if I brine it first then use a simple rub “mixed herbs garlic salt Peoper and maybe some others”

And smoke it for 30 mins on the q with cherry,apple and mestique mix “samba mix from bunnings “

Will this be ok ? Or there to many falvours going on?
Black Q 3200
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Hi Gurilla, Captain here.
You can do just the brine, sugar, salt and water. Then add a rub. Best is to add herbs and spices to the basic brine for 5 hours then roast it, use some smoke chips if you want a smoky flavour. Different woods give a different profile. If you use too many herbs and spices with a strong smoke, there are too many flavours competing then it becomes a hit and miss affair. I tend to back off on the herbs and spices if smoking or back off on the smoke if using too many herbs and spices.
excited-newbie

Post by excited-newbie »

hi captain I have just read your post on here in it you said to cook it straight on the trivet
I don't know I assume you are referring to a weber to cook my question is
I have always used foil under my trivet when roasting have I been doing this wrong or should I have not been using foil.
I have a sririt 210 and baby q should i sit trivet directly on the grills no foil
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Sorry about the mix up. Use foil under the trivet for all indirect whether using a spirit genesis or a Q.
Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

What can I use instead of mustard powder if I can’t find it at the shop ? Chilli powder?

Also is fresh garlic ok or crushed garlic in the jar ?

So what I’ve seen in the posts 1tbs sugar/salt per litre is the way to go?

So the the ratio is 1tbs sugar/salt 1tbs mustard powder/garlic and 1 litre of water ? Then if I need more do this ratio again?

I seen a nandos rub at the shop can I put this in the brine ? Then not use any other rubs when cooking ? Just a garlic butter basting ? “Again I will be smoking “

So I don’t need a water tray in the Weber Q? As I used one on my first smoked chicken and it helped I think ?
Black Q 3200
excited-newbie

Post by excited-newbie »

thank you captain cook for your help you have all ways been there for my quiries
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

You can leave the mustard powder out if you like. It should be a teaspoon. You are better off using powdered herbs and spices in the brine so they will dissolve or partly dissolve so that the brine will carry them in. Rubs really only add dds molflavours to the outside of the meat or down to the depth of about 10 mm. You can smoke it with or without a water pan, makes little difference. The water pan helps keep the temps stable plus adds some steam into the BBQ, you don’t need it as the brine adds moisture.