1.2. BBQ BOOOOM

Any general items, polls
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: 1.2. BBQ BOOOOM

Post by Davo »

So far it's been very much the Weber fest....it should do pretty well for them.
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

1.2 BBQ.
3.4 what a bore
I watched this again today , was either this or repeats of home and away.
guess I should have chosen home and away.
self promoting crap. Proves to me its about promotion of me and my money than real substances of real Aussie BBQ
Cheers
Titch
KBBQ

Post by KBBQ »

The big problem with this sort of show is they put ridiculous time limits on the cooks, but the format has been done to death boring :(
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah I know the format has been flogged to death and enthusiasts like us would often roll our eyes, but this is the very first of BBQ shows in this country and there could be more if this proves popular with the general public and hopefully better shows like the Pitmasters etc.
Weber is right to get into this as the prime BBQ on display, they show the kettle, WSM and the Family Q as well as the big gas bbq range they have and the prize is not too shabby either...over 100 grand's worth including an RV unit.....so if this attracts better contestants next year if it's successful, then it might have some merit.
I think it'd be naïve to think this is reality TV.....they've got to create some drama to hold people at the edge of their seats just as they do in MKR but this is so less bitchy than the show it offshoots from. Shows like MKR Masterchef tend to push some political or social agenda with the contestants they select whereas so far the BBQ show is still free of that and is all about BBQ and that annoying Texan's accent (sorry Bob lol) he might be from Texas but he's lived in Australia for over 21 years.

One of our Forum members Hogsy (Joel) is competing in the show soon so I can't wait to see how they fair.

Anyway.....as much as many of you may poo poo the show.....I'll still watch and enjoy it.....but I think 45 minutes to make a meal from scratch is asking a bit much for non-chefs.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

It's actually the only show I watch on TV. Sadly, the only other show I ever watch is on at the same time, but on 7mate. (I don't have a dvr )
MadDocker

Post by MadDocker »

There is next to no time spent on the cooking techniques, flavors or process when cooking, or any detailed input in the judging.

While cooking:
Contestant *We are cooking Chilli chicken*
Judge *Will you cook it in time?*
Contestant *We hope so! hahaha* *Oh dear I've dropped my chilli*

While Judging:
Judge *Are you happy with it*
Contestant *Mostly yes. We struggled with time.*
Judge *Nice flavors. Go sit down.*

Repeat with subtle differences 6 times with some in show product shots / advertising and thats the series.

I'm happy to have a BBQ show on TV, but, it's not well run, not well produced and not very entertaining or informative.