To buy a Ziggy Triple Grill or not

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
daazzaa

To buy a Ziggy Triple Grill or not

Post by daazzaa »

Well been tossing up what BBQ to but, looking at the Weber Family Q 3200, but then the Ziggy come to our attention. Seems to tick all the boxes for us, $1K was more than we were wanting to pay, but looks like not much we can do about that! Is the current sale with all the accessories (Triple Cart, Large Cover, Large Hotplate, Trivet, Warming Rack, Light, Salt & Pepper Mills and Wok) a good deal? They normally around this price or could get better price closer to Xmas etc? Are the accessories bundled in the sale transferable, ie swap one out for something not included? Anyone had any luck doing this?

Also have the option of natural gas connection, and just trying to decide LPG or NG. If we were going to stay in the house for the next 15 years it would be NG, but not sure about that. Don't want to buy a natural gas one and move to a house that is not plumbed for NG.
Questions - Can a NG Ziggy be reversed to bottled gas?
Is there a great difference in the price btwn LPG and NG?
Guess it would take a bit of time to recoup the extra costs on NG BBQ as you have t play for a plumber to come and put a 1'2" bayonet connection on?? + the difference in price.
We were told in store they would just go LPG.......not sure why though

I think we will just go LPG, then we take it away with us if we ever need to (more options than a fixed BBQ)

Everyone that has a Ziggy like them?

Cheers
Bear

Post by Bear »

I can't comment on the Ziggy, but I can on the NG. I have had NG for my gasser for 8 years and I wouldn't change it. I have had the WeberQ 320 for 18 months and love it. I never need to be concerned about refills, and in the time I've been using NG i could buy second mini WeberQ 100 for portability with the savings
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
ozwaz

Re: To buy a Ziggy Triple Grill or not

Post by ozwaz »

Hi Daazzaa,

I have a twin burner Ziggy and a Family Q. Dad has a Triple burner Ziggy. My Family Q is NG. While it's true these types of bbqs use a lot less gas than a 4 burner, but with the twin burner I was going through probably 4 bottles a year, the bigger one may use a little more. At $30 exchange that's $120 a year, what would a plumber cost? Is there gas nearby making it an easy job? If so probably worth it, if not and he has to run pipe from a distance and spend longer then probably not.

You also need to factor in what is your convenience worth? How much would you pay to never again run out of gas halfway through a cook and have to jump in the car and tear down to the local servo?

You can convert them from one to the other with a kit if need be, maybe ask how much the kit is.

As for the Ziggy, love them. The triple burner gives you so much flexibility. My Family Q is a twin burner but has one burner running around the outside and one right through the middle. I do have the option to turn one burner off and still cook indirectly, but it's a little tricky, with the Ziggy you could have one end burner on and still have 2/3 of the area available for indirect in this case. I got my Family Q cheap from the Qantas store using FF points, so for me it was a no brainer, I ended up with a very good BBQ that I use a lot, if I was paying cash and they were around the same price, I'd probably get the Ziggy over the Family Q, but it's a close run thing.

Am I happy with both my Twin Ziggy and my Family Q, very much so.

Get a price on putting in a bayonet, if it's not too much, then seriously consider NG. Do you have a table or bench you can sit it on? If so it's only $679. Dad has his on a bench.

Cheers
Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
daazzaa

Re:

Post by daazzaa »

Bear wrote:I can't comment on the Ziggy, but I can on the NG. I have had NG for my gasser for 8 years and I wouldn't change it. I have had the WeberQ 320 for 18 months and love it. I never need to be concerned about refills, and in the time I've been using NG i could buy second mini WeberQ 100 for portability with the savings
Yes the no refills is a selling point, but how can you measure the savings ?
My concern is moving house in 5 years and stuck with a $1K NG BBQ
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

ozwaz wrote:Hi Daazzaa,

I have a twin burner Ziggy and a Family Q. Dad has a Triple burner Ziggy. My Family Q is NG. While it's true these types of bbqs use a lot less gas than a 4 burner, but with the twin burner I was going through probably 4 bottles a year, the bigger one may use a little more. At $30 exchange that's $120 a year, what would a plumber cost? Is there gas nearby making it an easy job? If so probably worth it, if not and he has to run pipe from a distance and spend longer then probably not.

You also need to factor in what is your convenience worth? How much would you pay to never again run out of gas halfway through a cook and have to jump in the car and tear down to the local servo?

You can convert them from one to the other with a kit if need be, maybe ask how much the kit is.

As for the Ziggy, love them. The triple burner gives you so much flexibility. My Family Q is a twin burner but has one burner running around the outside and one right through the middle. I do have the option to turn one burner off and still cook indirectly, but it's a little tricky, with the Ziggy you could have one end burner on and still have 2/3 of the area available for indirect in this case. I got my Family Q cheap from the Qantas store using FF points, so for me it was a no brainer, I ended up with a very good BBQ that I use a lot, if I was paying cash and they were around the same price, I'd probably get the Ziggy over the Family Q, but it's a close run thing.

Get a price on putting in a bayonet, if it's not too much, then seriously consider NG. Do you have a table or bench you can sit it on? If so it's only $679. Dad has his on a bench.

Cheers
Wazza
Hi Wazza to answer a few of the question and to asks a few more!

There is nearby NG, no need to run copper pipe or whatever the plumber uses. Its sitting on the outside of the brick work with a cap on it. I got the impression they didn't use much gas, you mention 4 bottles a year with a twin burner, I got the impression it was like 1 bottle a year with heaps of useage!

Convienence, yes, plays a part.... we have all runout of gas at one stage half way through the cooking!

Regarding the bayonet, yeah I think that is all that is required... that's what I was told in the bbq shop anyway, whatever a bayonet is.

No bench, just will buy the stand.

Cheers
Daz
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

Cheers
Wazza

Left out the kit part (convert from one to the other (NG - LPG and vice versa), just got told it is a lot of money! That's a great help, think I need to find someone that can answer the questions instore!
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

daazzaa wrote:

Cheers
Wazza

Left out the kit part (convert from one to the other (NG - LPG and vice versa), just got told it is a lot of money! That's a great help, think I need to find someone that can answer the questions instore!
Personally, and i do work for a weber retailer, I'd buy a family q3200, in black. The black is just impressive and a sexy looking bbq, although only available in LPG.
Yes the ziggy has all these attachments and plates but you really don't need them. I love my weber.
Remember if you plan on changing gas types down the track to get a licensed gas fitter to convert it for you, I know many stores are still giving instructions to do it yourself, but i also know the manufacturers have really cracked down on this and asking for certificate of compliances from the plumber with some warranty issues.
If you convert the bbq yourself, then you are voiding your warranty.
LPG is great, I get about 13 roasts to a 9kg bottle of gas on my Q2200.
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

Mark2011 wrote:
daazzaa wrote:

Cheers
Wazza

Personally, and i do work for a weber retailer, I'd buy a family q3200, in black. The black is just impressive and a sexy looking bbq, although only available in LPG.
Yes the ziggy has all these attachments and plates but you really don't need them. I love my weber.
Remember if you plan on changing gas types down the track to get a licensed gas fitter to convert it for you, I know many stores are still giving instructions to do it yourself, but i also know the manufacturers have really cracked down on this and asking for certificate of compliances from the plumber with some warranty issues.
If you convert the bbq yourself, then you are voiding your warranty.
LPG is great, I get about 13 roasts to a 9kg bottle of gas on my Q2200.
Hi Mark
Have to agree the weber in black does look good, cos I was attracted to that! Not really taken with the normal weber color... but you don't cook with color.
Fortunately or unfortunately (depends on which way u look at it), most of the accessories in the deal at present are ones we could buy, so it to us aint a bad deal.
I wouldn't convert myself, but do you have any idea how much to convert from NG - LPG or LPG - NG ?
With 13 roasts to a 9kg bottle, approximately how man hours of use would that be. I would think I would use it about 3 - 4 hours a week.
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

Well yep I bought it, so far so good! Anyone got tips for cleaning and keeping clean the grills, hotplates and BBQ in general? Initially I will be a cleaning Nazi, but don't want to spend too long on it,....would rather be eating what came off it!

Any tips would be appreciated.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

daazzaa, I've used the Weber Q range for years and I don't worry being a cleaning Nazi with these things......just give it a bit of a wipedown inside the lid, the grills a brushing whilst it's hot n greasy but I do most of mine before every cooking session by getting it super hot to burn off any gunk from previous session and give it a good brushing of the grills and scraping or wiping of the hotplate.....I think wiping the hotplate is better than scraping and if it's real gunky....I give it a good scalding with boiling water over the hotplate while it's super hot.....never use cold water as you could crack the plate.

Every couple of months, I just take out the burners (easy to do) and give the inside bowl a good scrape out with a wooden spatula...I wouldn't use a metal one...once you've got most the gunk out the bottom hole and into the pan below, slide out pan and then you can give it a good washing inside and out.

The inside of the lid will become black....nothing yo can really do about it....kind of seals the cast aluminium lid ....just give it a good wipedown with paper towels after it cools down from a cooking session.

There's really not much to it.....the Weber Q is a great BBQ (I'm sure Ziggy is too but haven't used one)

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
alex_m_84

Post by alex_m_84 »

Don't know if you've bought a BBQ yet but we bought the triple grill deal about a month ago. I changed the trivet/wok to the roast baking dish for the same price.

The barby before was just a cheap 4 burner and the new ziggy is miles better. Really impressed at how it cooks. I don't know how they go compared to webers. We have a baby Q weber which is great.
I only bought the ziggy due to the deal they had with all the bits and my wifes uncle has had his for about a year and loves it.
alex_m_84

Post by alex_m_84 »

Oops, just got to reading the whole thread and see you got the Weber. Will be a great BBQ, congrats
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

Hey me again. Been using the Ziggy for over 7 years now, been a good BBQ.

Have a little problem currently. 3rd burner I cannot turn the knob to ignite the burner. Other 2 are fine. You press it in and try and turn to the left and just doesnt budge. Tried other knobs on it, still doesnt work, but "faulty knob" works fine on the other 2 burners.

I dotn want to try and turn too hard and bust anything, bnut assuming somethign amiss witht eh valve that attaches to the manifold.

Anyone got any tips for me on this? Buy new manifold and valves?
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G’day
That’s a real shame especially with the footy finals weekend but things get worn and you’ve had it now for a few years. Have you approached BBQ Galore yet as it’s thier brand bbq. I’m sure they’ll have the parts and the Tec assistance.
Regards Dave