Food Safari - Fire

Any general items, polls
ozwaz

Food Safari - Fire

Post by ozwaz »

There is an interesting article in the West Weekend magazine that comes with today's West Australian newspaper. Seems the new series of Food Safari on SBS will be about BBQ, cooking over coals and charcoal and fire. It goes to air in January, and there is the cookbook that always goes with each series, this one is titled Fire. There is also an interesting looking recipe for Smoked Labne with chili oil, honey and baby eggplant. You basically wrap natural greek yoghurt in a cheese cloth in the fridge for a couple of days to seperate the whey, then cold smoke it. I'll give it a go over the coming weeks and if I like it will post up the recipe.

If you've never seen Food Safari, it is definitely NOT reality TV. It's quite understated and all about what and how is being cooked.

Anyway, here are a couple of quotes from the article:

"Why Fire? It's the world's oldest cooking method and it's simple and yet it's so finely honed once you get into it. Everybody does something beautiful and delicious and different with fire. We've been wanting to do this for quite a few years and knowing that high end chefs are are also moving away from fussy techniques and getting into the elemental thing you get with fire. Once we scratched the surface it has just been such a fascinating and delicious world."

And:

"..... Instead they have pared it down to 10 episodes, which will start on SBS in early January, and a beautiful accompanying book. When you first open it Meave starts talking you through the different types of wood that bring out certain flavours, how to use charcoal and building a fire, it all seems a little daunting. No wonder we simply fire up the gas barbie. But the book is designed, she writes, to hold your hand as you dive into the world of fire - to explore the raw energy and simple perfection of cooking without gas or anything that plugs in."

"Charcoal has it's own magic, it's the flavour and when the juices drip down on the charcoal you get this burst of perfumed smoke."
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
titch

Re: Food Safari - Fire

Post by titch »

Great show and I'm glad its back.
She presents some great food
Cheers
Titch
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

Maeve has a spin-off business doing food safari tours of different "flavours" in Sydney.

I've done the Italian one. It was awesome. I've been back many times to the places we visited.
Each place had a "secret" or a unique thing that was shown to the group.

Sometimes it's a combination of ingredients cooked a certain way. Other times it may be something that doesn't look or sound all that good, but turns out to be amazing.
You could walk in off the street to any of these businesses, but you won't get the demos or the shared advice.
And unless you know what they can do, or know what to ask for, it's only those in the know who can access it, so the tour is well worth it.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
niko123456

Food Safari - Fire

Post by niko123456 »

Mixin wrote:Maeve has a spin-off business doing food safari tours of different "flavours" in Sydney.

I've done the Italian one. It was awesome. I've been back many times to the places we visited.
Each place had a "secret" or a unique thing that was shown to the group.

Sometimes it's a combination of ingredients cooked a certain way. Other times it may be something that doesn't look or sound all that good, but turns out to be amazing.
You could walk in off the street to any of these businesses, but you won't get the demos or the shared advice.
And unless you know what they can do, or know what to ask for, it's only those in the know who can access it, so the tour is well worth it.
Agree. I did the French one (not that I'm a fan of French food necessarily), and it was awesome.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Paulr, the creator of this forum was featured in one of the earlier series of Food Safari and cooked an Indonesian Satay recipe on the BBQ due to his Indonesian/Dutch heritage.
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/beef-satay-sapi
His wife runs a cooking school up at Noosa.....
http://www.lifesafeast.com.au/cookingcl ... lasses.htm

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Kookabanus

Post by Kookabanus »

This series is definitely worth a watch, I've seen pretty much all of it already (due to my work) and can vouch for it.
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Apparently the cookbook may be out already. if not on the shelves yet will be very soon.
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner