Fornetto Pizza oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
chilli

Fornetto Pizza oven

Post by chilli »

Has anyone tried one of these , not cheap but you are supposed to be able to use it for smoking and as a wood fired oven.
urbangriller

Re: Fornetto Pizza oven

Post by urbangriller »

As those things go, they are pretty cheap! I've never used one, but looked at it a bit and it looks like it'll do the job, it's quite well designed!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I've used one which a mate of mine owns. It's too hard for him to use and I get the job of cooking in it for a group of 12 every Easter. I do roast beef and pork plus the spuds. Then pizzas the next night. They re ok but temp control is not that easy and they can take a while to heat up. Compared to the Maximus pizza oven I have at home, it's no contest. The Maximus is much easier to use, makes better pizzas and you can do wood fired roasts in it too. Read through the thread in this section which tells you all about the Maximus.
chilli

Post by chilli »

Thanks for that Gumb
I will definitely have a longer look at the Maximus.
I had a quick look and I am very interested, I can see a lot of advantages over the Fornetto, looks more "cave-like" as well.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I think the bottom line is that all those ovens with a fire box underneath the oven cavity are a bit of compromise. In a good pizza oven the heat should be from the top.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube for a similar oven to the Maximus. Just look up Pizza Party Oven.
moy71

Post by moy71 »

Gumb wrote:There are quite a few videos on YouTube for a similar oven to the Maximus. Just look up Pizza Party Oven.
may i ask why you chose the Maximus over the Pizza Party oven? thanks in advance.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

moy71 wrote:
Gumb wrote:There are quite a few videos on YouTube for a similar oven to the Maximus. Just look up Pizza Party Oven.
may i ask why you chose the Maximus over the Pizza Party oven? thanks in advance.

The Pizza Party oven is not available in Australia.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Major design flaw in Maximus is the chimney at the back allowing heat to escape.
Sub floor heat on the Fornetto and lack of mass to insulation is its design flaw.

You cant beat a well insulated igloo (brick or clay) top and sub floor with a detached front chimney and good door
They cost about $1 to 2 g depending on if you can get brand new or second hand fire bricks
or a few hundred if you use clay.

Though I can make a very acceptable pizza in a standard electric oven with a few pizza stones.
A friend who spent $5 g on an outdoor tunnel design couldn't believe I made them indoors.
chilling while grilling
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Groovy Gorilla wrote:Major design flaw in Maximus is the chimney at the back allowing heat to escape.
That's not correct GG.

The Maximus does not have the design flaw you mentioned. It has a baffle that forces the heat to the front before exiting again at the back. This is the same design used by the pizza party and in my opinion it is the very reason the Maximus is the best oven in it's class available in Australia. Whenever I use the Maximus I achieve the right temps for 90 second pizza cooked evenly top and bottom with ease.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Narmnaleg wrote:
Groovy Gorilla wrote:Major design flaw in Maximus is the chimney at the back allowing heat to escape.
That's not correct GG.

The Maximus does not have the design flaw you mentioned. It has a baffle that forces the heat to the front before exiting again at the back. This is the same design used by the pizza party and in my opinion it is the very reason the Maximus is the best oven in it's class available in Australia. Whenever I use the Maximus I achieve the right temps for 90 second pizza cooked evenly top and bottom with ease.
+1 from someone who also owns one.
moy71

Post by moy71 »

moy71 wrote: may i ask why you chose the Maximus over the Pizza Party oven? thanks in advance.

The Pizza Party oven is not available in Australia.
I contacted Pizza Party directly and was pleasantly surprised that they were happy to send me one directly from Italy. The price was competitive so i ordered one. Very nice people to deal with too.

I will post details on a separate thread. It arrives in approx 2weeks.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Interesting outcome moy. What was the cost of oven and freight? Which model did you get?
moy71

Post by moy71 »

I was debating on getting the 70x70 + glass window on the door, or the bigger model but in the end, my practical side won. I mean a bigger oven would have been nice, but it meant slightly more wood, slightly more heating time, floor space, and more importantly more things to manage cook-wise. Can you imagine trying to juggle two neapolitan pizza cooks at once!?

out of courtesy, i am waiting for their reply if i can divulge the price i paid... standby will let you know either way.

having said that, i did see someone on ebay listing a Pizza Party 70x70 for $1200. shipping from MEL though so that's another $150+ in shipping on top.

Can't wait for this toy to arrive.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Cool, thanks moy. The pizza party will be a heap of fun. Great oven!
Jasmine

Post by Jasmine »

A wood fired pizza is a pizza that is cooked over a wood fire, like you see at a better restaurant or alot of specialty pizza places. Its better, the crust reacts differently than it does in a typical oven, and its gives the pizza more character.